Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

Want more FPS with the 777?

A better way to achieve the same thing, without losing the external model, is tick off the Hi-Def 3D Cockpit option in the FSX Aircraft settings. Loss of Graphic quality is minimal if at all and you can double your frames.

Double! Slight exaggeration!

-Iain Watson-

1. I don't understand the point of this tweak... if your holding atleast 30 constant while you are flying your fine... FSX's FPS only needs to be half the refresh rate of your monitor for it to be smooth. Honestly trying to push FSX past 30 is ridiculous because when the FPS is like at 50 and drops to 30 your gonna see a stutter. Its better to hold a steady number constantly then try to push for something high and not have the ability to hold the higher number. Try keeping your FPS at 30, stabilize everything, if you could lock it at that number you will be fine, the only time you see stutters is when the FPS changes and thats more likely to happen the higher you try to push the FPS.

Not true, not for all.

I have my frame rate locked at 50, yes 50. On the occasions it drops to 30 or so I see NO stutters.

The only time I see a very brief, single stutter is when FSX ATC opens it's mouth.

And yes... I CAN tell the difference between 30 frames per second and above 35. It's most apparent when panning around the VC. Some are optically less sensitive than others to low frame rate.

Not everyone uses or needs the 1/2 refresh rate setting.

i73770K at 4.4GHz

GTX 580

120Htz monitor

Double! Slight exaggeration!

Not on my system, and others have even reported more.  With the CS777 I went from 6-7fps to 12-14FPS. On the NGX, I went from 10-12FPS to 19-20fps, On the LRX I went from 13fps to 19fps. This doesn't work with older models, with lower resolution. It doesn't look that good on some or all gauges, and on the Aerosoft AXE it screws up the ND gauge, but it works great for the PMDG aircraft. It may be possible that on faster systems the increase isn't as large. On user streaming on Twitch was getting about 20FPS with the LRX, and jumped to 40-45FPS.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

If you are indeed an "in the VC" flyer, this can be a great tweak (it's more of a 'choice' than a tweak :wink:), but to get the best from it, it's also wothwhile de-activating all of the effects in the FSX/Effects directory, that apply to the exterior model.   These tend to be smoke and surface weather-based effects, and can eat up a lot of FPS....   If you just remove the exterior model, these effects can still be seen; eg engine start-up smoke, even though there are no visible engines!).

I can't list all applicable effects, and some are custom to specific aircraft   - but it's something else to look at if you want max frames and smoothness, and you only fly inside the cockpit. :smile:

How do you do that Dave.

Thought...would that stop the lights showing up, taxi/runway etc?

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Not on my system, and others have even reported more. With the CS777 I went from 6-7fps to 12-14FPS. On the NGX, I went from 10-12FPS to 19-20fps, On the LRX I went from 13fps to 19fps. This doesn't work with older models, with lower resolution. It doesn't look that good on some or all gauges, and on the Aerosoft AXE it screws up the ND gauge, but it works great for the PMDG aircraft. It may be possible that on faster systems the increase isn't as large. On user streaming on Twitch was getting about 20FPS with the LRX, and jumped to 40-45FPS.

Fair enough. I did try this while back but couldn't remember the results. Tried it again and on my high end system I got about 3 to 6 frames which is pretty amazing considering I could not see any visual difference in the 777. At Dubai, 25 frames to 30. Give or take the numbers jumping around a bit.

-Iain Watson-

Not true, not for all.

I have my frame rate locked at 50, yes 50. On the occasions it drops to 30 or so I see NO stutters.

The only time I see a very brief, single stutter is when FSX ATC opens it's mouth.

And yes... I CAN tell the difference between 30 frames per second and above 35. It's most apparent when panning around the VC. Some are optically less sensitive than others to low frame rate.

i73770K at 4.4GHz

GTX 580

120Htz monitor

But you have a 120Hz monitor.

If I am not mistaken, 1/2Vsync and 30fps locked is for a 60Hz monitor.

To use Vsyncs smoothness you should be running 1/2Vsync at 60fps locked, or 1/4Vsync with 30fps locked.

This also explains why you have smoother results at 50fps than at 30fps.

I dont think that this has anything to do with you being optically more sensitive.

You could try locked at 30fps with 1/4Vsync (unly works in full screen mode!).

The time where your CPU is not busy trying to achive 50fps, it can do other things and that might result in an even better experience.

Rob Robson

But you have a 120Hz monitor.

If I am not mistaken, 1/2Vsync and 30fps locked is for a 60Hz monitor.

Yes Rob. I tried 1/4 refresh rate for my 120 monitor giving me 30. You will see it as an option. I recall I also tried 1/2 refresh rate for 60.

I dont think that this has anything to do with you being optically more sensitive.

Some are less sensitive. which is a biological fact I'd say. I was referring to why some are not bothered by low frame rate. They are either easily pleased or less sensitive. Personally, low frame rate irritates me. My ex wife for example would sit in front of an old CRT monitor with a low refresh rate and not even notice. I'd come into the room and spot it straight away. Same for low frame rate in games. There's variation in regard to  how our brains process such things.

In cinematography 25 FPS is smooth to the human eye, due to the blurring nature of the medium. In video games that's not so, higher frame rate is required. But as I say, there is a variation in an individuals sensitivity. Not so much optical, more like neurological probably.

This also explains why you have smoother results at 50fps than at 30fps.

I didn't say I have smoother results at 50 than 30. Both 30 and 50 are smooth. Smooth is defined as stutter free. What I said was that I can tell the difference between 30 and higher frame rate, especially when panning in the VC.

You could try locked at 30fps with 1/4Vsync

As I say, did that a while back when the 1/2 Vsync discovery was made and was all a buzz on the forums.

The time where your CPU is not busy trying to achive 50fps, it can do other things and that might result in an even better experience.

No. Not a better experience. I don't get stutters, frames are high. Quality is consistent. But don't forget, as I've said before, I don't place the demands on my kit that most do. No add-on hyper detailed airports, no demanding scenery. Just REX, UTX and GEX.

The breakthrough for me was my old i7920 at 4GHz, combined with BP=0, dramatic stutter reduction. Now with my 3770K, even better. As I say, the only brief, single stutter is courtesy of FSX ATC. Not that I use it much.

I've been simming a long time Rob. Aware of, and tried most things over the years. I'm also a moderator on another flight sim forum, so had plenty of exposure to all kinds of FSX weirdness. There always seems to be something new that pops up though, as technology improves and powers it's way through an archaic FSX engine.

Okay, it´s very good to know that we can get some more frames, if we use "your" trick!!! But i just love seeing the huge airplane from outside during a long haul... i really hope that PMDG find a way to increase the performance of our T7... 

First thing first.

This is not my find.

If you like using external views this is not for you.

If you sit in the VC and never leave it like me 99% of the time....read on.

What this does is losers the external model. You do it like this,

Simply browse to the aircraft's main folder within C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes, and go into the Model directory.

In the Model directory, open up Model.cfg and place '//' (two forward slashes) in front of the line that begins with 'normal='

It works for every aircraft but am only flying the PMDG 777 ATM so

e.g my new 777F looks like this

[models]

//normal=PMDG_777_200F.MDL

interior=PMDG_777_VC

TEST

Orbx CRM

Orbx KJAC Gate 8

I will let these speak for themselfs.

With Model

HhJV7.jpg

Without

2S6bu.jpg

the 50 fps lock was just for these SS.

So for me it's a no brainer. I will take the extra head room all day long.

Enjoy.

Good idea- do you know if this works with Ezdok?

Ofc it does :-)

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Not true, not for all.

i73770K at 4.4GHz

GTX 580

120Htz monitor

At FSDT CYVR, at say gate 51, REX 1024 clouds, Opus or AS weather engine overcast and raining?

If the answer to this is "Yes", I would love to see your FSX .cfg.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Great tweak thanks for sharing, I do this with other models now, and if i feel like seeing the external model, i just turn it back on, easy.

Also the High Def cockpit guages advice madee a huge difference, thanks NyXXUk and others!

For those that have installed the recent WOAI packages, be aware, the FAIB models used all have been released with Hi-Def textures. 2048x2048 and 4096x2048 (Mip Mapped). These are bound to have some performance impact, so if performance is an issue, you may need to downsize them.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I have a solution guys which I have been using for a while now is to move your cursor mounting to the corner of your screen if in full screen mode when your not needing to use it on any part of aircraft whilst at airport taxi take off etc i get solid 30 fps only happens to me on the pmdg 777 if I move cursor I am at 24 fps yet I have a i74770k 0c 4.5gz water cooled stable gtx titan and multiple

ssd

Anyways hope this helps