Sign in to follow this  
Les Parson

Real Air Duke v2.0 Released

Here is an overview of the interior choices vs the v2 repaints.  Gotta love that Tan and Walnut.

summary_zpsbbf75354.jpg

d_zps00f0d1a6.jpg

e_zps442ddc1a.jpg

a_zps81bb3413.jpg

c_zps31445a2b.jpg

b_zps8505d2d5.jpg

Ray

• Upvote 1

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

As I've noted, I really like the plane.  The Duke has long been one of my favorites, and version 2 is even better.  One of the small things I'm not so thrilled about however, is that Real Air has apparently tuned it's flight model around somewhat specific settings for the Realism sliders for Torque and P-factor.  With every plane I've had in FSX, I've always had all of these sliders full to the right, 100%, and so I somewhat assumed that this was a design convention among developers.  I'm not particularly fond of Real Air's decision to design it's flight model around something different because I think that means that now I'll have to change these every time I fly to get the precise behaviors that Real Air intended, and then change them back again for almost every other propeller plane.   For example, I'll bet the Milviz Cessna or any plane by A2A requires those sliders to be at 100%.   Am I correct in assuming that by having my sliders for Torque and P-factor farther to the right than Real Air recommends that I'm therefore experiencing more Torque and P-factor than is intended to be experienced, or am I misinterpreting how those sliders work?

Hi, I see your logic. But I didn't do it for any of those reasons, and almost all our flight models except maybe one allow for a mid range p factor, for a simple reason. P factor of course should be correct, but a lot of sim pilots and real pilots argue about what the proper value is. If we said "put pfactor slider at 100%" then there would be no leeway for user choice. Putting it halfway gives the opportunity to adjust either way. I know you could argue that it should be exact. But even thousands of hours pilots seem to disagree. In V2 we tried to give the user as much choice as possible. None of these choices alter the core characteristics. The animation special effects are similar. We give the user choice as to whether they want them at all (example: some users with low end systems get a lot of shimmering with airframe and needle vibration, others do not) or to turn the effect up or down.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

It flies just beautiful!  I have air aircraft realism slider set to max and it is just wonderful.   Why adjust?

This month I bought A2A 172 QualityWings Avro and RealAir Duke 2.0  - I like them all but the RealAir is closest to perfection.  

Close enough for a flight simulator x model.       We are always translating from dynamice movement in the air, to those pixels moving on our screen.     How real can it be?

respectfully,

It flies just beautiful!  I have air aircraft realism slider set to max and it is just wonderful.   Why adjust?

I think the only time it is really noticeable is the moment after liftoff, when the engines are gunning, and the plane of course wants to tug to the left.  The issue is really just whether by having that P-factor slider at 100% if the pull is more so than in reality, versus having the slider at 50% where Real Air recommends it.  It's really only comes down to the slight differences in right rudder required as the speed accelerates through Vse, so it probably isn't worth running a custom fsx.cfg with different than usual settings.  I'll experiment, but unless the difference is signifigant, which I don't assume it will be based on what Rob just said, I'll probably just end up leaving those P-factor and Torque sliders at 100% also.

Another nice feature is during flare, if you cut the engines sharply, the aircraft yaws quickly and needs corrected, so it´s better to cut smoothly to keep things stable.  Not sure if it´s like that in real life, but it makes the plane feel more alive.   Any other aircraft, cutting the throttle doesn´t do anything apart from the obvious speed reduction.  I still love the flare part, it can be so well controlled and the aircrafts floatyness (cool word, hard to use it) is not exaggerated like other aircraft I own.

Anyone else noticed this?

-Iain Watson-

Yes! ..... I bloody love a good bit of floatyness Iain!

- the usual nit pickers would nit pick if they were delivered with a real Duke to their home addess........ seriously they would.. :smile:

If I had a 190,000.00 Duke delivered to my front door your damn right I'd nit pick it to the bone, just like any other responsible Licensed GA pilot taking delivery of an aircraft, whether as a gift or not, would.

• Upvote 1

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg

Cloudswimmer, just ignore him.  He always does this.  Notice how a side discussion and a question to Rob about a small tweak to the rudder in order to maintain a realistic rudder throw while using a linear calibration curve morphed into "nitpickers" who complain about a "broken rudder."

Here is an overview of the interior choices vs the v2 repaints.  Gotta love that Tan and Walnut.

summary_zpsbbf75354.jpg

d_zps00f0d1a6.jpg

e_zps442ddc1a.jpg

a_zps81bb3413.jpg

c_zps31445a2b.jpg

b_zps8505d2d5.jpg

Ray

Hey Ray, where can I get this fantastic walnut interior? Is it something you're currently working on? Cheers...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hey Ray, where can I get this fantastic walnut interior? Is it something you're currently working on? Cheers...

It comes with v2.0 Howard. :smile:

Cloudswimmer, just ignore him.  He always does this.  Notice how a side discussion and a question to Rob about a small tweak to the rudder in order to maintain a realistic rudder throw while using a linear calibration curve morphed into "nitpickers" who complain about a "broken rudder."

Yes and his last paragraph could be used as a textbook example of circular reasoning and logical fallacy.

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg

Ha ha, KingGhidorah and Cloudswimmer have got me nailed, as always. :lol:

But lighten up guys, it's all just entertainment and we have this hobby in common, depsite our differences, so we can't be that far apart.   :Peace:

• Upvote 1

The Tan and Walnut is nice, so nice in fact that I was flying last night and all of the sudden I felt like a whuss; so I went back to the metallic ones. "Pardon me, would you happen to have any Grey Poupon?"  :P  I like that in a luxury automobile, but I'm not quite sure I would go for that in a cockpit.  I guess if you are rich enough to own a Duke, then the thinking is different.