Sign in to follow this  
Les Parson

Real Air Duke v2.0 Released

About clickspots. Almost every complex aircraft could suffer from clickspot-itis. Some of these fits can be traced to simple things like forgetting to adjust or switch off all sorts of other software like camera addons which DIRECTLY interfere with well designed and well intended clickspots. There are other unexplained reasons which every developer, I assure you, works very hard to get to the bottom of. In our case we saw just very occasional clickspot errors, but INSTANTLY this can be cleared by simply doing this: Go to your control assignments in FSX and assign a key to this function:

Aircraft(RELOAD)

This INSTANTLY resets clickspots with no fuss and almost no inconvenience.

Press this key once and the Duke will reload in anything between one second and three seconds, depending on how much memory is clogged up with scenery and hundreds of other addons - and by the way if you have a large list of other addons, weather, maps, widgets, traffic, huge scenery LOD, huge textures, enormous stress on graphics and processor etc etc you can be hardly surprise that the actual aircraft....the thing that FSX is designed to operate, gets to be the last in the queue.

Basic things in FSX generally only start breaking down when the user pushes it to beyond its design limits.

So Rob is it something on my end causing wind like noise in a cold dark cockpit ? Don't get that with the V1's though.

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg

So Rob is it something on my end causing wind like noise in a cold dark cockpit ? Don't get that with the V1's though.

What were the weather/wind conditions on the ground?  If it's windy you'll hear wind over the airframe.

If you turn your volume up high you might here a slight noise caused by the rolling sound effect. The problem with the default FSX parameters controlling this is that if you turn it down too much, or adjust the low speed volume down below a certain point, even when you go faster the sound take ages to kick in when you need it. Also other sounds like the wind effect react even if you are still but there is a cross or head wind. These kind of effects have very coarse and rough adjustments. They tend to be far too quiet at the lower end, so you try to boost them a bit and the result is that they can actually sound present even when there is no motion, even though you set the params to be zero volume below say five knots. I really don't think it is a serious issue or deal breaker. Sometimes people seem to look for faults in the absence of any obvious ones.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

What were the weather/wind conditions on the ground?  If it's windy you'll hear wind over the airframe.

Yeah that though just came to my mind. So with V1 if there is wind you don't hear it over the airframe then?

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg

Basic things in FSX generally only start breaking down when the user pushes it to beyond its design limits.

No way Robert, your Aircraft have always been good to me well beyond FSX "design limits" (whatever those are) -- I'm running LOD = 9.5 and 2048 textures 2560 x 1600 in that video I just made ... had plenty of VAS room to go to 4096 textures ... so far everything I've tossed at (and that has been a lot from FSDT airports to 160mi cloud draw and more) the Duke stay good with fps rarely dropping below 30 fps even in absolute worse case ... heck that flight I just did from KSAN to KLAS average 70 fps with peaks at 100 fps (DX10 of course with DX10 fixer applied -- even in Max AutoGen and GEX regions where I have no photo scenery).

I don't know what you folks do Robert, but your Aircraft have consistently allowed me to push FSX well beyond it's limits.  You folks just seem to be very efficient.

Many thanks Robert!

Rob

If you turn your volume up high you might here a slight noise caused by the rolling sound effect. The problem with the default FSX parameters controlling this is that if you turn it down too much, or adjust the low speed volume down below a certain point, even when you go faster the sound take ages to kick in when you need it. Also other sounds like the wind effect react even if you are still but there is a cross or head wind. These kind of effects have very coarse and rough adjustments. They tend to be far too quiet at the lower end, so you try to boost them a bit and the result is that they can actually sound present even when there is no motion, even though you set the params to be zero volume below say five knots. I really don't think it is a serious issue or deal breaker. Sometimes people seem to look for faults in the absence of any obvious ones.

I really don't think it is a serious issue or deal breaker. Sometimes people seem to look for faults in the absence of any obvious ones.

No need to get defensive there mate. I build and run commercial level flight simulation facilities in California, and people often ask me what I recommended for home simulation setups, software, hardware, addons, etc., and your products , A2A, and PMDG always get first mention.

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg

I love the vastly expanded possibilities that come with an aircraft that can slip and skid properly.  I just did one of those damn I'm good landings doing a forward slip to align, lose altitude and slow down all at the same time.  As I said earlier, I did make just a tiny tweak to the rudder effectiveness, not enough to compromise VMC or turn performance, but just enough so that a little more than just the weight of my foot is required on the pedals when banking into the turn.  Everything is performing really great.  Finally finished up tuning the various sliders in the Duke Config panel, Ezdok, and Acufeel so that everything is working in perfect synchronization with just the right combo of sounds,vibrations, and head movement.  I'm having a really good time with this new plane, and having a blast watching myself do great landings in instant replay.  It's very nice when different addons and good planes can come together in harmony to produce such an experience.

I love the vastly expanded possibilities that come with an aircraft that can slip and skid properly.  I just did one of those damn I'm good landings doing a forward slip to align, lose altitude and slow down all at the same time.  As I said earlier, I did make just a tiny tweak to the rudder effectiveness, not enough to compromise VMC or turn performance, but just enough so that a little more than just the weight of my foot is required on the pedals when banking into the turn.  Everything is performing really great.  Finally finished up tuning the various sliders in the Duke Config panel, Ezdok, and Acufeel so that everything is working in perfect synchronization with just the right combo of sounds,vibrations, and head movement.  I'm having a really good time with this new plane, and having a blast watching myself do great landings in instant replay.  It's very nice when different addons and good planes can come together in harmony to produce such an experience.

Excellent and thanks for that vivid description. It's nice to hear of someone actually flying the aircraft and enjoying it!!!

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Yes, indeed this Duke is my smoothest ride in FSX now :-)  But so were the V1, the Siai, the Dechatlon :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Great aircraft!  Found that the v1.5 textures travel across just fine, but how do i change the cockpit textures?

Hi all, I installed the v2 update & I am loving the crisp textures & the wobble on the ground the jolt as the wheels go up & down. On my first flight non of the vc switches worked so I closed fsx & changed the config settings in the real air config tool ( I only changed one setting from left click right click ) to click & drag & on my next flight everything worked, my only problem now is I don't seem to be able to land it anymore, the left wing keeps dropping & I go cascading off the runway dragging the left wing until it comes to a stop, I've tried 5 times & each landing is the same, I normally grease landings so im confused whats going on.

<p>vrs_supporter.png

Paul Sleight

IS the standard rate of turn working properly?

Although skids and slips are important to have.... standard rate turns are important too for IFR flying/training/

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

IS the standard rate of turn working properly?

Although skids and slips are important to have.... standard rate turns are important too for IFR flying/training/

Yes it is.

I like sitting in the cockpit with the engines idling. That rocking motion is so relaxing, it puts me right to sleep.. lol!

Hi all, I installed the v2 update & I am loving the crisp textures & the wobble on the ground the jolt as the wheels go up & down. On my first flight non of the vc switches worked so I closed fsx & changed the config settings in the real air config tool ( I only changed one setting from left click right click ) to click & drag & on my next flight everything worked, my only problem now is I don't seem to be able to land it anymore, the left wing keeps dropping & I go cascading off the runway dragging the left wing until it comes to a stop, I've tried 5 times & each landing is the same, I normally grease landings so im confused whats going on.

Please (Please everyone!!!) read the flying guide. Turn off crash detect and collision detection. This setting enables our custom suspension to work and the gear will then work normally. I can't emphasise enough that the flying guide is key to understanding hundreds of features that you might miss.