Sign in to follow this  
Les Parson

Real Air Duke v2.0 Released

I think 20% VAT is a total rip off for all European customers but there is nothing I can do about it.

If you think that's bad, try working out why we should have to pay 60% tax on fuel. Now that's a rip off :angry:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I tried an engine out landing this morning. I was able to feather  the prop and hold a reasonable airspeed at 3000 ft and was able to turn into the dead engine (carefully!) and the off center thrust was easily controlled with rudder. The landing  seemed realistic, the rudder had to be reduced as the power was reduced just before touchdown. My only nitpick was the manifold pressure on the dead engine showed 30 in, even after shutdown and feathering, but perhaps that is what the real aircraft does, as well.

I almost passed on this upgrade version because of the price and the fact that the 1.5 version is still one of the best GA twins available. I'm glad I went ahead with it because this type of aircraft is what I enjoy the most in FSX, and I would recommend it to anyone that wants the very best in this aircraft category.

Dale

Dale

I tried an engine out landing this morning. I was able to feather  the prop and hold a reasonable airspeed at 3000 ft and was able to turn into the dead engine (carefully!) and the off center thrust was easily controlled with rudder. The landing  seemed realistic, the rudder had to be reduced as the power was reduced just before touchdown. My only nitpick was the manifold pressure on the dead engine showed 30 in, even after shutdown and feathering, but perhaps that is what the real aircraft does, as well.

I almost passed on this upgrade version because of the price and the fact that the 1.5 version is still one of the best GA twins available. I'm glad I went ahead with it because this type of aircraft is what I enjoy the most in FSX, and I would recommend it to anyone that wants the very best in this aircraft category.

Dale

According to my understanding of piston engines, if the engine shuts down it can no longer "suck" air into the cylinders which is what creates the lower pressure when the throttle gate is closed. As a result, air bleeds into the manifold until the outside pressure and manifold pressure are equal.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

If you think that's bad, try working out why we should have to pay 60% tax on fuel. Now that's a rip off :angry:

Yup I agree. UK is now the rip off tax leader in Europe, and also epicenter of bank, corporate, utilitiy and other rip offs. Sorry for off topic.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

According to my understanding of piston engines, if the engine shuts down it can no longer "suck" air into the cylinders which is what creates the lower pressure when the throttle gate is closed. As a result, air bleeds into the manifold until the outside pressure and manifold pressure are equal.

Yes, that is absolutely correct.  The outside air pressure is what the dead engine is showing.  That is one of the reasons you should not use the instruments to identify the dead engine.  Many real pilots have made that mistake, those low to the ground are no longer with us.

Ray

• Upvote 1

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Two multi engine sayings are 'Dead foot dead engine', and 'Raise the Dead'....meaning step on the side of the good engine, hold a slight bank into the good engine.  The foot that is not pressing hard on the rudder is likely the side of the dead engine.  Identify/verify the dead engine by using the throttle lever for the suspected dead engine to verify instrument response. 

Once identified, proceed with restart attempts if time/altitude allows, otherwise secure the dead engine.

Cheers

TJ

To be honest, this upgrade of the piston Duke has made me dream about a Turbine Duke with a more controllable throttle. That may well be impossible with the often mentioned difficulties simulating turboprops in FSX, but I can dream.....

The new piston Duke is great, but I still prefer the power, stopping distance, and orgasmic whine of those PT6A engines in the Turbine Duke  :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

To be honest, this upgrade of the piston Duke has made me dream about a Turbine Duke with a more controllable throttle. That may well be impossible with the often mentioned difficulties simulating turboprops in FSX, but I can dream.....

I'd just think that that's the spool time of the turbines.  I use Ng to control the engines instead of Torque.  It's more responsive.  Ng=80 at 2000 ft...85 at 7000...79 Ng on ILS final, etc., etc.  Still lags more than pistons but it works.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

The new piston Duke is great, but I still prefer the power, stopping distance, and orgasmic whine of those PT6A engines in the Turbine Duke  :wink:

+1

+1

http://forum.avsim.net/page/index.html/_/reviews/mad-catzsaitek-flight-simulator-cockpit-r690

When I wrote this review last year I stated it shouldn't be long before we see the RealAir Legacy type goodies applied to the Turbine Duke.  I was just out of order with the schedule, the Piston Duke got the first upgrade, I bet the Turbine Duke is not that far behind.  I suppose a lot depends on the impact of the RealAir Cessna 172 work.

That review has some stuff in it about how to id a dead engine also.

I do not have any more info than anyone else, just guessing.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

The Turbine engine is not that broke in FSX. Nearly all the flaws can be overcome by being gentle with the throttles. The inherent problems are these. If you lower the time in which the engines react you will get an rpm surge which goes off the scale. If you try to reduce the delay in reaction time of the props then you get an artificial reaction that you can see through....it really looks artificial. If you attempt to hide these flaws (default FSX turbo props) then you get a sound that hides what is really happening. Look at the rpm gauge in the default Kingair...it is all over the place, but the sound hides that because the sound is linked solely to the engine (at least what you hear) rather than the props.

One way to overcome this is to invent your own superimposed system. The problem with this is that it actually can be even more artificial feeling and sounding than the original default parameters.

So we are back to the default engine.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

I agree Christopher, but "orgasmic" ?  Really mate?

I think you might need to get out a bit more mate :O

;-)

The new piston Duke is great, but I still prefer the power, stopping distance, and orgasmic whine of those PT6A engines in the Turbine Duke :wink:

I'm with Dougal.  Orgasmic whine, eh? Somehow that sends my thoughts to places that have little to do with Mssrs. Pratt and Whitney. :lol:

Ribbing aside, I think one of the strongest features of the new plane are its sounds.  I almost hate to stop taxiing and get airborne, as I love to listen to the loping sound of the big pistons when near idle (though in this regard, the old version also excelled), but with all of the other little noises and thumps and subtleties...  It's a sonic delight (just not quite, O, y'know...).

Comparisons between the Piston and Turbine Duke are inevitable, but I've always viewed them as very different planes, the extremely obvious similarities aside.  I like 'em both - each for different reasons - but right now it's a bit hard to fly anything but the B60 with the new enhancements.  It's massively immersive and it's just plain (plane!) fun to fly.

Scott

A sonic orgasmic delight? LOL!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |