Sign in to follow this  
yorgosGK

Serious issue with ATI and Steves DX10 fix? Tears and Spikes everywhere

Yes its a shame that the 7900 series seems to have this issue. I did have the tearing again last night on approach to EKCH EVEN with water low x 1 but unlimited frames. This is the first time i see this with water at low settings even with default waterfx. file.

This is bad

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I Believe this issue is only with bufferpools=0 but that is the price for smooth flight with ATI i guess.

5870 had No problem with this so how do we contact ATI about this?

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

I will reinstall 5870 next week and make sure I didn't have this issue in the past (If I did it would have been very minimal since I never noticed it in the past). Don't think it is a power issue to the card since I believe the 7950 uses less power than the 5870 (power supply is 700w and decent brand). Also, I haven't added any new hardware besides the video card.

I guess I could just use the 5870 since the frame rates were fine in the past or just stick with DX9 and the new card.

Forgot to mention the only Tweaks I use are HIGHMEMFIX=1 and widescreen=True.

Steve

I will reinstall 5870 next week and make sure I didn't have this issue in the past (If I did it would have been very minimal since I never noticed it in the past). Don't think it is a power issue to the card since I believe the 7950 uses less power than the 5870 (power supply is 700w and decent brand). Also, I haven't added any new hardware besides the video card.

I guess I could just use the 5870 since the frame rates were fine in the past or just stick with DX9 and the new card.

Forgot to mention the only Tweaks I use are HIGHMEMFIX=1 and widescreen=True.

Steve

i come from a HD5870 as well which is very very hard to stress. Your fps will just drop but i did not see these issues with it. Have running DX10 with it for 6 month before upgrading to 7970.

Michael Moe

Hi Michael; it's nothing to worry about, but as your system becomes more capable - the higher that number will be. It has to be deleted first, though, as fsx only uses it when it sets the initial fsx.cfg settings and doesn't touch it again unless it's not there. I use it as a gauge in judging systems.

Here's mine at the moment:

procspeed.jpg

And here is my result :-)

//ProcSpeed=9335
PerfBucket=7
ProcSpeed=21693

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

I Believe this issue is only with bufferpools=0 but that is the price for smooth flight with ATI i guess.

5870 had No problem with this so how do we contact ATI about this?

Michael Moe

Not ATI's fault. 7 year old engine. Unfinished DX10 mode with re-jigged shaders. Issue effecting a very niche market. Doubt they would bother even looking at that. However...

I have had 6 hours of flights in A2A 172 and Duke Piston B60 V2 around CYVR and KSEA with Building Storms theme. Not one single spike. Where previously, using the 13.4 driver for my 7970 and the initial release of Steve's fixer, I could not go 15 minutes without being surrounded by spikes and big sheets of textures shooting out of the ground.

I will post my stuff in a bit but I am using a virgin FSX.CFG with wideviewaspect=true and highmemfix in it and that's all. Even using my regular settings in FSX. Off the top of my head... Water Low 2x, Scenery and AG Very Dense and Dense. Clouds at 100% density. I reloaded my REX theme with the DX10 stuff all enabled in the options. Used the Medium Computer Spec (Was using High) so now my textures are all 1024 I think. DXT5 and all that. Then for the theme I took "Reality" and changed the water to "Use This".

Then... I was testing 4xAA set in the tool. Water Shader disabled (unchecked) in the tool. SuperSample enabled in RadeonPro (or CCC). 16xAF Quality. Vsync forced in RadeonPro. But after about 4 hours of flying like that I re-enabled Water Shaders in the tool and bumped to 8xAA in the tool. Aside from the obvious side effect of a few stutters if I put a 3000 foot thick overcast deck 2000 feet above the ground, I got not a single spike. I think I saw one and only one flash of a white square on the ground for a split second in a flight that was over an hour.

I am on a new version of DX10 Fixer for testing (but I doubt that has anything to do with it) and I am running the new 13.11 BETA 1 driver from AMD.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

If you are going to run this driver. Please please please... No driver cleaners and stuff. Just use the Catalyst Install Manager in Programs in the Win7 Control Panel to do a complete uninstall of all AMD drivers and programs and say yes to remove it all and reboot when asked. 

Then install the BETA 13.11 (Express) and reboot again. And in the fixer, set 4xAA for now. Disable the water shader and make your first flight and see. No spikes? Enabled Water Shader and fly around again. No spikes? Try 8xAA. As per usual. Bad weather+dense AG+8xAA+high settings in FSX = stutters and lower fps. Same as nVidia using 8xAA+8xSGSS.

One catch. WHQL 13.9, Beta 13.10 and 13.11 will all FATAL ERROR CTD FSX in DX9 mode when manipulating the menu (I think Auautomationcore.dll in the fsx root has something to do with that?). If you want DX9 mode you have to go back to 13.4. ATI has been told about this error by several of us.

Current Status: I don't know what fixed what. New Tool from Steve for testing. New Driver from AMD. Reset my REX theme with more moderate settings (no 2048 stuff). A virgin FSX.CFG. Or just the simple act of disabling the Cloud and Water Shader for a few flights and then turning them back on shook something loose (But I dont normally subscribe to chance voodoo happenings like that). 

Using a tool to watch GPU usage and I can see with 4xAA+SuperSample set the GPU usage barely reaches 65% even in cloud. Go to 8xAA+Supersample with clouds and the usage heads up into 90%+ range. I know eventually I will have issues on longer flights sustaining nearly maxed GPU usage and the only cure is not using unlimited in FSX and setting 30 fps and turning off the external limiter. But then it is not as smooth in demanding situations. The price of perfect AA.

Charles.

Tried the 5870 again and had no issues with water on high.

Went back to 7950 and had spikes with water on high. No spikes with water on low 2x. No more time to test today but will look at other scenarios tomorrow.

Wonder if anyone with 6000 series is having problems?

Not ATI's fault. 7 year old engine. Unfinished DX10 mode with re-jigged shaders. Issue effecting a very niche market. Doubt they would bother even looking at that. However...

I have had 6 hours of flights in A2A 172 and Duke Piston B60 V2 around CYVR and KSEA with Building Storms theme. Not one single spike. Where previously, using the 13.4 driver for my 7970 and the initial release of Steve's fixer, I could not go 15 minutes without being surrounded by spikes and big sheets of textures shooting out of the ground.

I will post my stuff in a bit but I am using a virgin FSX.CFG with wideviewaspect=true and highmemfix in it and that's all. Even using my regular settings in FSX. Off the top of my head... Water Low 2x, Scenery and AG Very Dense and Dense. Clouds at 100% density. I reloaded my REX theme with the DX10 stuff all enabled in the options. Used the Medium Computer Spec (Was using High) so now my textures are all 1024 I think. DXT5 and all that. Then for the theme I took "Reality" and changed the water to "Use This".

Then... I was testing 4xAA set in the tool. Water Shader disabled (unchecked) in the tool. SuperSample enabled in RadeonPro (or CCC). 16xAF Quality. Vsync forced in RadeonPro. But after about 4 hours of flying like that I re-enabled Water Shaders in the tool and bumped to 8xAA in the tool. Aside from the obvious side effect of a few stutters if I put a 3000 foot thick overcast deck 2000 feet above the ground, I got not a single spike. I think I saw one and only one flash of a white square on the ground for a split second in a flight that was over an hour.

I am on a new version of DX10 Fixer for testing (but I doubt that has anything to do with it) and I am running the new 13.11 BETA 1 driver from AMD.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

If you are going to run this driver. Please please please... No driver cleaners and stuff. Just use the Catalyst Install Manager in Programs in the Win7 Control Panel to do a complete uninstall of all AMD drivers and programs and say yes to remove it all and reboot when asked. 

Then install the BETA 13.11 (Express) and reboot again. And in the fixer, set 4xAA for now. Disable the water shader and make your first flight and see. No spikes? Enabled Water Shader and fly around again. No spikes? Try 8xAA. As per usual. Bad weather+dense AG+8xAA+high settings in FSX = stutters and lower fps. Same as nVidia using 8xAA+8xSGSS.

One catch. WHQL 13.9, Beta 13.10 and 13.11 will all FATAL ERROR CTD FSX in DX9 mode when manipulating the menu (I think Auautomationcore.dll in the fsx root has something to do with that?). If you want DX9 mode you have to go back to 13.4. ATI has been told about this error by several of us.

Current Status: I don't know what fixed what. New Tool from Steve for testing. New Driver from AMD. Reset my REX theme with more moderate settings (no 2048 stuff). A virgin FSX.CFG. Or just the simple act of disabling the Cloud and Water Shader for a few flights and then turning them back on shook something loose (But I dont normally subscribe to chance voodoo happenings like that). 

Using a tool to watch GPU usage and I can see with 4xAA+SuperSample set the GPU usage barely reaches 65% even in cloud. Go to 8xAA+Supersample with clouds and the usage heads up into 90%+ range. I know eventually I will have issues on longer flights sustaining nearly maxed GPU usage and the only cure is not using unlimited in FSX and setting 30 fps and turning off the external limiter. But then it is not as smooth in demanding situations. The price of perfect AA.

Charles.

Hi Charles,

I still believe this issue also is only in action when we use Usepools=0 but i can not live without it because it just smooting things out for me. Now ... i am flying a Vatsim trip RJTT-KLAX and 35 minutes over water spikes and scramble starts but "hey" they disappeared again ?? what does this tells us? This is new to me. It used to get worse and worse when it starts but this time they vanished completely for now anyway.

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

I've had these problems for error when he left the fsx menu, first started when upgrading to 13.10 beta and then also when you install the current update the 13.9. As expected that the error was due to the drivers is that completely erases all the drivers installed and also use a tool to completely remove drivers. first uninstall all CCC program from the control panel and then launch this program which finished cleaning all traces that might remain. one you see done this restart your computer and install the latest version of the drivers including the CCC and everything works perfectly.
English as I'm not using a translator if anyone knows both languages ​​and can correct this mistranslated what I'm going to thank. I leave the tool.

https://mega.co.nz/#!01xU2DoD!Ahh_WV69FGiOSHnVazeM2yivFFx6eb6Hg-6LOzPLUaM

he tenido estos problemas de error cuando salia  al menú de fsx, empezaron cuando actualice primero a la beta 13.10 y luego también cuando instale la actualización actual la 13.9. Como suponía que el error se debía a los controladores es que borre por completo toda la instalación de los controladores y ademas utilice una herramienta que sirve para eliminar por completo los drivers. primero desinstale todo el programa de CCC desde el panel de control y luego inicie este programa el cual termino de limpiar cualquier vestigio que pudiera quedar. una ves echo esto reinicie el equipo y instale la ultima versión de los controladores incluyendo el CCC y todo funciona perfectamente.
como no se ingles estoy utilizando un traductor si alguien sabe ambos idiomas y puede corregir lo que este mal traducido se lo voy a agradecer. les dejo la herramienta.

And here is my result :-)

//ProcSpeed=9335
PerfBucket=7
ProcSpeed=21693

Michael Moe

Wow!! Pretty damn good, Michael!! One of the best yet! You have no issues with smo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-the-e-e!   :lol:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

35 minutes over water spikes and scramble starts but "hey" they disappeared again ??

Mine cannot dissapear once they start and conitnue for the whole time i have fsx open....i need to close fsx and restart it for spikes and artifacts to leave... :(

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk now Free

It's a shame the ATI owners are having so many problems with DX10 (except for cvearl and, of course, SteveP). For me it is hard to understand how cvearl can have clear and awesome images and others cannot.

Best regards,

Jim

Ya but they have to settle like i am as well.....low2x water isnt quite eye candy :(

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk now Free

George Kyriazis | www.georgekonline.com

ELB729.png

Hi Charles,

I still believe this issue also is only in action when we use Usepools=0 but i can not live without it because it just smooting things out for me. Now ... i am flying a Vatsim trip RJTT-KLAX and 35 minutes over water spikes and scramble starts but "hey" they disappeared again ?? what does this tells us? This is new to me. It used to get worse and worse when it starts but this time they vanished completely for now anyway.

Michael Moe

I'm not using that setting in DirectX 10 currently since my last post my sim is glass smooth. I only use it in Directx 9.

My config file is virgin.

Will try remove everything about pools but that would also cost some fps. Just finished my 9 hours flight and only issue was OOM at KLAX with the 777 tsk. Glad i saved the flight 50nm before touchdown :-)

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Will try remove everything about pools but that would also cost some fps. Just finished my 9 hours flight and only issue was OOM at KLAX with the 777 tsk. Glad i saved the flight 50nm before touchdown :-)

Michael Moe

No spikes?

BTW... In DX10 how are you forcing vSync? I am using RadionPro

C.

Well I have had a number of hours at 8xSSAA with medium clouds and not a single spike. Hmmm...

C.