Sign in to follow this  
yorgosGK

Serious issue with ATI and Steves DX10 fix? Tears and Spikes everywhere

All my traffic is set to 0%, but in UT2 weekly is set at 50% and daily at 20%. 

I use 3 monitors, but after last driverupdate my third monitor is set at 640x480 with no way of altering it, so now I'm using 2. Someone mentioned this could have something to do with windowed mode? Anyone using full screen only? I use FS-simtimizer for full screen wich let me use the other two for third-party sw even when mainscreen is in fullscreen. To do this FSX must always start in windowed mode before i Alt+Enter it to full. Using fullscreen(without FS Simtimizer) with two monitors makes my FS drop til 0,5-1...

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

4xAA in the fixer

Charles, what settings do you have in CCC?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

I've been flying round KSEA today in every type of weather in the NGX to try and recreate the spikes. About 5hrs in total. I'm seeing that a few people are using three screens and so am I, but I'm getting the impression that quite a few are certainly pushing the limits. I run quite modest settings, which cater for all my varied types of flying. I've noticed a few people mention that they use LOW X2 water which is what I always use. So no spikes today for me.

Tomorrow I'm going to let FSX create a new cfg and try again. At least that will give a clean starting point.

All my traffic is set to 0%, but in UT2 weekly is set at 50% and daily at 20%. 

I use 3 monitors, but after last driverupdate my third monitor is set at 640x480 with no way of altering it, so now I'm using 2. Someone mentioned this could have something to do with windowed mode? Anyone using full screen only? I use FS-simtimizer for full screen wich let me use the other two for third-party sw even when mainscreen is in fullscreen. To do this FSX must always start in windowed mode before i Alt+Enter it to full. Using fullscreen(without FS Simtimizer) with two monitors makes my FS drop til 0,5-1...

Your using eyefinity right? I thought that was fullscreen already.

But alas. I do not have three screens. Also my understanding as that all three must be same aspect ratio and resolution? Man I wish I could play with eyefinity.

Charles.

Charles, what settings do you have in CCC?

Thanks,

Bob

Basically this but in DX10 mode I have AA set to application controlled. The rest of my CCC would look the same. Although I use RadeonPro to push the same settings. Mainly because RP can force vSync in DX10.

The key setting below for AA is setting Method to Supersampling. Fixer set to 4xAA. Always leave Morphological to OFF or you will have crawling edges.

yxch4.jpg

Fixer set to 4xAA. Always leave Morphological to OFF or you will have crawling edges.

Charles, made the changes in both the fixer and CCC but to no avail. GREAT flight for about 90% and then the last 40nm were a disaster. I am going to keep trying, I am not ready to give up yet. Thanks for sharing your settings with me.

Bob

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Its really a disaster upgrading to a fast HD7970 and then being hit in the b..ls by these issues. Last night my card did not even go past 60% in load so i cross my fingers we can fix this.

Remember to state your CCC-driver version when you have good experience (over 2-3 hours with no issues)

I am not sure why i do not need the AA lines in fsx.cfg. I still have "4X" as CCC is set to Application controlled. Will test to night the same spot ESSA-EFHK 01L then direct NTL and then over water and without CDUII and PFD/ND on a 15"

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Charles, made the changes in both the fixer and CCC but to no avail. GREAT flight for about 90% and then the last 40nm were a disaster. I am going to keep trying, I am not ready to give up yet. Thanks for sharing your settings with me.

Bob

Your post gave me a clue stating that your last 40nm were a disaster, in that it could be linked to AI

With my settings, I can fly pretty much anywhere (and have) and get good performance except when I’m sitting at EGLL UK2000 Extreme. Here I go from pretty much locked 30FPS to around 8 just sitting on 27R in the NGX. The Graphics card is sitting at 25-30% usage. Even when using a default aircraft, these figures remain within a few frames and percentage card usage no matter what the aircraft. This is why I use this particular spot to test heavy loading on the sim. This is the worst spot for me in the entire FSX world. Oddly, once rolling down the runway however, it feels and looks smooth.

Anyway, I know that at EGLL if I change to map view, I get spikes and artefacts. So bad in fact, that the map screen is unusable.

Some time back, I changed my FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION from 0.15 to 0.12 and the artefacts went away. I think this is a red herring though, because I’ve not been able to replicate the problem. I've since dropped it even further.

I also remember that when I first started to use DX10 with the early files Steve was posting. I used to get all sorts of strange triangles flashing across the screen. Back then, I was using a different computer and also UT2 for AI.

Today, I have been able to replicate the spikes and artifacts on my EGLL map screen.

What I did: I Increased road traffic and Airline Density to 100% which brought back the spikes on the map screen.

To cut a long story short, with AI=30% Road=30% and GA=10% I reached a point where the Map screen only had a few random thin lines going across it. By reducing road traffic to 20% the map screen was clear of any artefacts. If I left road at 30% and reduced GA=0% the spikes went away.

I remember that when I set up my new PC I switched to MyTrafficX which may, or may not have any bearing on the spikes. I still get them if I overload the system (as above) but ONLY at EGLL and ONLY on the map view. On my system Im confident that I can get spikes at any major hub if I tried with the traffic sliders up high.

So I tried KSEA with 100% AI and Road Traffic and 50% GA in Stormy weather, and although I didn’t experience any spikes in the main view there were some in map view. I notice an interesting phenomena though. With these settings the NGX would not reach take off speed and although it did eventually take off, it was only because the terrain dipped away. Also, the scenery looked awful, Id lost all the autogen and the scenery was looking out of focus and blocky. Another interesting point was that the GPU was only at 16% usage. When I returned AI to 20% Road to 10% and GA to 0% which is what I normally use. Everything returned to normal and the GPU was at 60%

As a side note, the GPU seems to be worked hardest when I fly GA than when I fly the NGX. Average for the NGX is 60% for GA the Baron 58 as an example = 85% but I digress.

Anyway, I have no clue if any of this will be useful in clearing the spikes. Moving traffic desity deffinetely had an impact on my system although with completely different results to what has so far been posted. I’ve included what I think are the relevant settings from my config just in case anyone is interested.

***ADD-ONS***

UTX

GSX

MyTrafficx

FSGenisis Mesh

UK2000

AS2012 - 3D clouds DXT5 Cirrus DXT1 just switched to 2048 textures

REX Essentials water 'use this' I think that's what it's called plus all other textures apart from clouds.

SweetFX

I use Radeon Pro and the only setting I believe may be different is that I use Adaptive instead off Supersample. This is because, if I use Supersample with Eyefinity, the GPU hovers at 99-100% when flying GA so I don’t feel this is good for its long term health. Too many pixels I fear! It's fine if I only use a single screen and get more FPS but that defeats the wow view.

I've flow with these settings for 100s of flights in real weather, some lasting as long as 6hrs all in DX10 and mainly in the NGX without ANY issues.

***CATALYST VERSION***

Driver Packaging Version 12.104-130328a-157485C-ATI

Catalyst Version 13.4

Provider Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

2D Driver Version 8.01.01.1295

Direct3D Version 9.14.10.0969

OpenGL Version 6.14.10.12217

Catalyst Control Center Version 2013.0328.2218.38225

AMD Audio Driver Version 7.12.0.7714

I use Eyefinity with three 22in LED screens, and use DX10 exclusivly in windowed mode with WindowedBorderlessGaming.

***FSX.CFG***

[GRAPHICS]

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048

ForceWindowedVSync=1

HIGHMEMFIX=1

STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=0

ALLOW_SHADER_30=1 //bojotos shader fix. Don't think it apples to DX10

MultiSamplesPerPixel=4

[bUFFERPOOLS]

PoolSize=0

[Display]

BLOOM_EFFECTS=1

SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=0

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=0.85

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=0.9

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=0.85

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=0.8

TextureMaxLoad=6

WideViewAspect=True

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=84 //Quad core running HT OF = 14 Running HT on = 84

[Main]

DisablePreload=1 //only add this if you have vsync issues in full screen

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.05 //0.12

[Weather]

CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=4

DETAILED_CLOUDS=1

CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=8

[TrafficManager]

AirlineDensity=20

GADensity=0

FreewayDensity=10

ShipsAndFerriesDensity=0

LeisureBoatsDensity=0

IFROnly=0

AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=1

[TERRAIN]

LOD_RADIUS=6.500000

MESH_COMPLEXITY=100

MESH_RESOLUTION=24

TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29

AUTOGEN_DENSITY=3

DETAIL_TEXTURE=1

WATER_EFFECTS=4

[DISPLAY.Device.AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series.0.0]

Mode=5760x1080x32

AntiAlias=1

TriLinear=1

NOTE: all three monitors are the same model and set to the same resolution. You can see them flying here:

Brian

Your post gave me a clue stating that your last 40nm were a disaster, in that it could be linked to AI

Brian, I did another short flight (a little over 1 hour) and as clouds/fog grew heavy the show started!!!

I am going on a TRAIN excurtion this weekend, so will not post again until mid next week.

I am posting my details and links that might give more of a clue as to what is happening. Unfortunately I do not have the time to run another "test" flight before departing but will as soon as time permits next week. I will first eliminate ALL road traffic (FSX & MyTraffic) and test, then reduce AI traffice and test. Thanks for those pointers.

I want to thank everyone for their time and effort in trying to find a solution for us POOR ATI users!!!

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=33
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.10

CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=5
DETAILED_CLOUDS=1
CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=8

Anisotropic=1
AntiAlias=1

[GRAPHICS]
STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=2147483647
HIGHMEMFIX=1
ALLOW_SHADER_30=1
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024
MultiSamplesPerPixel=4
MultiSampleQuality=8
D3D10=1
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693500672
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693500672

[TrafficManager]
AirlineDensity=40
GADensity=5
FreewayDensity=10
ShipsAndFerriesDensity=0
LeisureBoatsDensity=0

[TERRAIN]
LOD_RADIUS=4.500000
MESH_COMPLEXITY=100
MESH_RESOLUTION=22
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=25
AUTOGEN_DENSITY=2
DETAIL_TEXTURE=1
WATER_EFFECTS=4

AffinityMask=255

Add-ons:

Scenery
 FScene4X, FSGenesis, UTX-USA, UTX-Canada, UTX-TAC .

Utilities
 DX10 Scenery Fixer, FSX Booster 2013, AFX, FSXassist, FSTramp .

Other
 MyTrafficX Pro 5.4C, EditVoicePackX

My PC:

Processor AMD 8150
Processor Cores 4
Processor Speed 3.6
RAM 12 gb

Video Board Manufacturer AMD .
Video Board Model 7700 .
Video Memory 2 gb .

Hard Drives 2 Hitachi SCSI .

Monitor HP 23" 2311 .

Operating System Windows 7 .

Yoke CH FlightSim

CCC settings: https://app.box.com/s/3vn2d4w3psheqj3mnbjz

Clouds/artifiacts prior to landing: https://app.box.com/s/tok7mpmbv2sycuybg05y

Clouds/fog after landing: https://app.box.com/s/lblg7ibkyupj23h5ykin

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Brian, I did another short flight (a little over 1 hour) and as clouds/fog grew heavy the show started!!!

Hi a couple of your settings that ill try on my system tomorrow are:

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT

STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD

Also, AffinityMask should be under [JOBSCHEDULAR] or was that simply pasted in and missed?

Looking at your CCC settings, I take it your NOT using Radeon Pro?

Edit: your CCC settings for AA should be set to application controlled not override settings.

DX10 is OOM friendly so i will keep trying. Maybe its related to people having more than one screen ? Anybody out there using only one LCD who will report back ?

Tonight ESSA-EFHK 25 minutes in to the flight an it all began over water (low x 2)

BTW: my AA does not neet any Multisamples lines in FSX.CFG. No differents at all. So i have deleted them. Did not use it with my old card anyway . However i do not have AA in DX9 now (???)

namz.jpg

Okay same test setup same time ,water(low x2), Autogen,Traffic,Vatsim, pretty much same weather,aircraft(NGX) BUT AA-lines deleted from fsx.cfg (does not change performance/image quality on my system anyway) AND no PFD/ND on my 15". Did have my CDUII as normal (a LCD (768x1024) and my main 28" LCD at 1920x1200.

Result was NO scramble and no spikes this time  ??? :huh: Do you guys have Antialias=1 under every monitor in fsx.cfg or only on the main ?

Btw Aero.bat (forced Aero restart) and ForcewindowedVsync=1 was also involved during this test. At least it did not do anything harm thats for sure. 

Now another case:

I am beginning to see the world and water in small sqaures (chessboard). They is more visible over water . also there is small raindrops or snow on the cocpitwindows and viewing from outside via EZDOK. Will try disable the "slow" snow effect in the Fixer by steve.

Michael Moe (CCC 13.4)

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

I can fly multiple trips with no spikes or artifacts, but those checkerboardtiles are pretty much alway present. All I know, as long as I see them, I'm fairly certain the spikes will come back at one point. It seems the more complex the aircraft is, the faster the spikes appear, but I really cant confirm this due to the inconsistency of the spike apperance.

I have not checked my AA settings on my other monitors, but since I only use 3rd party sw on these, I really can't see that would have an impact on GFX, but you'll never know I guess:-)

My GPU rarely passes 20%, but I've seen in almost hit 50%, but not even close to 90-100 as I seen others here have.

Edit: I also see the checkerboard in DX9, but only the white ones and only on watertextures. This started after installing the Fixer and DX10 and then disabling it for DX9 again. Spikes doesn't appear in DX9 though, but clearly there must be some part in the Fixer that causes this...

Edited by Bionor

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

Yeah, these chess squares was not visible before the DX10Fixer.

Btw. Seems like CCC 13.4 or whatever driver,  does not have that much of a roll for know anyway ha?

Back to water x 1 and Normal Autogen i guess (grrr)

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Tried 12.8, 13.4 and 13.11 and no difference. I used the AMD Uninstall tool between each driver and all it did was making my third monitor useless:-/ I'm back to DX9, but will try DX10 from time to time if any seemingly working suggestions comes along:-) 

So our conclusion is pretty much go for a Nvidia when using DX10 and FSX. 

Might just sell my card for a GTX780 then

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

If I were to buy a new card today, then yes. But I'm not willing to sell my 7970 just for a DX10 effect thats not really that important. FSX has been working for me for years, so no harm in using DX9 until DX11 and P3Dv2 is out:-)