Sign in to follow this  
yorgosGK

Serious issue with ATI and Steves DX10 fix? Tears and Spikes everywhere

OK, I followed a routine of turning off ALL DX10SF options and uninstalling the libraries. Then I went back in reinstalled the libraries and one by one tested each of the shader options. It seems to me (and I am FAR from being an expert or really knowledgable about FSX DX10) that there is an issue with Water_Effects being set too high. I am not using the Water Shader and my Water_effects are set at Low 2.x or in the FSX.CFG = 4. I have NOT had any artifacts day or night sense reducing the water effects and not using the water shader option in DX10SF. If someone can challenge, explain or otherwise identify the/a corrective action - please do so. Thanks.....and I still believe the DX10SF is the best thing that has happened to FSX DX10 "Preview"!!!

I will test this right now. Standby! Your number 1 (he-he)

George Kyriazis | www.georgekonline.com

ELB729.png

Not having the water shader active helps as well but regardless of it being on or off I found having it set to low 2x ( <_< ) and Bufferpools with only a reject threshould of 512 or 1mb did the trick for me as well....I will continue testing. 

ELB729.png

I have the same exact problem with nVIDIA GTX 780 (please see post #42http://forum.avsim.net/topic/422802-serious-issue-with-ati-and-steves-dx10-fix-tears-and-spikes-everywhere/?p=2819058 ), have done every thing and still no luck.

DX9 for now till things get better.

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

I have the same exact problem with nVIDIA GTX 780 (please see post #42http://forum.avsim.net/topic/422802-serious-issue-with-ati-and-steves-dx10-fix-tears-and-spikes-everywhere/?p=2819058 ), have done every thing and still no luck.

DX9 for now till things get better.

Is that our first nVIDIA user? wow. Thats the first I have heard of... maybe this is a by chance scenario and your case is simply overload and not an actual "issue" like me and the rest of the ATI users.

Try to uncheck your water shader in the fixers menus and report back! 

ELB729.png

Well folks, bobs your uncle. After a number of tests from a great community of fellow simmers I think this pretty much got nailed....

I stand at not seeing any artifacts with the water shader in Steves fixer unchecked and our water sliders in FSX set to low 2x....

I will now do my first full several hour IFR flight and see what happens. Back to the test lab.

• Upvote 1

ELB729.png

Nice! After a weekend of catching 0(!) fish, only beers, I'm going to try this tonight:-) I think I can live well without the DX10 watereffects, so I consider this more or less solved...at least to the point where I won't need to revert back to DX9:-) 

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

The water shader changes in DX10SF are exactly the same as those in the AVSIM library and simply involve adjusting the output colour of each individual water pixel by altering the blending factors. Unticking the shader doesn't change the shader logic - just the blending values used. Therefore I would suggest that unticking the water shader is unnecessary.

Changing the water slider however does represent a big change to the interaction between the FSX DX10 core engine and the GPU. As the slider goes from 1.x to 2.x a second pass is introduced where some objects get drawn first into an environment image. Moving the slider further to the right causes progressively more things to be added to the environment image.

The root problem is a vertex buffer corruption and the only three things involved which have write access to GPU memory are the GPU driver, the FSX core via the DirectX libraries and the 3rd party Radeonpro tool.

The water shader changes in DX10SF are exactly the same as those in the AVSIM library and simply involve adjusting the output colour of each individual water pixel by altering the blending factors. Unticking the shader doesn't change the shader logic - just the blending values used. Therefore I would suggest that unticking the water shader is unnecessary.

This is what I was thinking as well however, after some tests with the water slider set to low 2x and water shader checked artifacts where introduced (just took a few minutes longer). With the water shaders unchecked everything runs great but no matter what (checked or unchecked) definitely cannot go higher then low 2.x IMMEDIATE impact and artifacts come RIGHT away.

Based on what you say about the vertex buffer is that kind of corruption simply unfixable? Or will anything in the near future be able to help this? Also from your knowledge is this only  an "ATI thing" ?

ELB729.png

I am glad we are getting closer  :P

Michael Moe

ATI 7970 GHZ 3GB  CCC 13.4

Haswell I7-4770K@4,7

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Well folks, bobs your uncle. After a number of tests from a great community of fellow simmers I think this pretty much got nailed....

I stand at not seeing any artifacts with the water shader in Steves fixer unchecked and our water sliders in FSX set to low 2x....

I will now do my first full several hour IFR flight and see what happens. Back to the test lab.

Last night I flew for an hour twice in DX10 mode with the fixer installed but the Water Shader disabled. No spikes. Anddddddd... I was at Water 2x Low with some cloudy weather. Very happy. This was flying around Vancouver BC in the new Duke Piston V2.

Will report this back to Steve. Ooops NM I missed the last few posts.

Charles.

I was happy. but I just did a 3 hour flight and their back....my frames are like dropping and im not over heating or over stressing anywhere....not even on sliders....I have water low 2x and no water shader :(

DX9 here I come. I can't take this any more lol 

ELB729.png

Changing the water slider however does represent a big change to the interaction between the FSX DX10 core engine and the GPU. As the slider goes from 1.x to 2.x a second pass is introduced where some objects get drawn first into an environment image. Moving the slider further to the right causes progressively more things to be added to the environment image.

The root problem is a vertex buffer corruption and the only three things involved which have write access to GPU memory are the GPU driver, the FSX core via the DirectX libraries and the 3rd party Radeonpro tool.

Thanks for chiming in Steve! You rock.

As I indicated above, I did like the others and disabled the water shader in the tool and I did 2 - 1 hour flight tests in the area I was getting the spikes and had no spikes. Maybe luck? Not sure. Second flight was in fact with 8xSSAA and still no spikes. But I did not get the clouds too thick. Set them to Broken. Water was Low 2x. 

If RadeonPro is the cause we have a problem. Only tool I know currently to force vSync for DX10 mode in FSX. In DX10, the edits in FSX.CFG for vsync are inoperative. 

C.

I was happy. but I just did a 3 hour flight and their back....my frames are like dropping and im not over heating or over stressing anywhere....not even on sliders....I have water low 2x and no water shader :(

DX9 here I come. I can't take this any more lol 

Damn. Sorry to hear that. I am going to look at options in RadeonPro that might help like disabling some stuff like API monitoring and the FPS and GPU usage displays. That could be doing something as Steve said that RadeonPro is directly accessing the GPU.

C.

I cant seem to get radeonPro working proberly so this is not installed on my system. I use locked fps inside fsx and is happy. Should i get even further smoothing using vsync? It always make my experience stutter.

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Ya Firehawk44 this is an ATI+FSX DX10 issue for sure. I know no one with an NVidia card having this right now.

I'm going to mess with the water like yall been sayin.

Thanks!

Charles.

I see there was one GTX780 owner here saying he has the same. But anyway. I have alot of hours on this 7970 in DX9 at these very same settings and my FSX.CFG is quite clean to be honest. Firehawk... It is only in DX10 (at the same IQ settings) that I get the spikes. And the thicker the clouds or the higher the water setting the quicker the spikes come. ATI users may just have to live without Cockpit Shadows and go back to DX9. Unless of course a solution presents itself.

Charles.

I cant seem to get radeonPro working proberly so this is not installed on my system. I use locked fps inside fsx and is happy. Should i get even further smoothing using vsync? It always make my experience stutter.

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

I use TrackIR and I get horizontal tearing in the screen when I pan my view without vSync. Cant stand it. In DX9 you do not need RadeonPro for vSync anyway just the edit to the fsx.cfg file. RadeonPro is needed for vSync in DX10.

Charles.

I'm an ATI user and have been for quite some time now. I have been been using Radeon Pro also on and off. Water has always been set to low 2x and have been flying all over without issues. So hope you guys have it sorted :)