Sign in to follow this  
04wheelerd

Is it worth waiting for a patch/update?

Evening all,

Since the release of the triple 7, I have been waiting for the right time to buy and fly this baby but wanted to wait until all of the "bugs" etc have been removed. I note that the list of issues that have been fixed is getting longer, and was wondering whether it is worth waiting for PMDG to release a patch to fix all these bugs or are they things you rarely even notice?

Thanks for your times Guys.

Regards,

Danny. 

Regards,

Danny Wheeler

The only really issue I have, as I see no real bugs, ( more than likely cause I don't know enough ), is the performance. That, I wish I hate waited on to have fixed before I bought it. My NGX gets way better performance. But I guess I just had too high of hopes.

It is a great plane though. One of the best out there.

Sent from my Apple communications device.

Same here, i have performance issues as well, NGX is way better. However when the ngx was first released i remember having similar issues, im sure with time they will be sorted out.

I'd wait. But there are people out there flying it happily. I guess you can read the bug list and ask yourself "can I live with it?"

I see no advantage to waiting.  The product is overall in excellent shape, IMHO.  I expect that most of the changes to come in the first service pack will be subtle in nature, and some may well correct issues exprienced only by users with certain system configurations.  I do not expect anything earthshaking or which would change the fundamentals of the simulation.

Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones

The T7 performs wonderfully for me and none of the reported bugs are showstoppers in any way...I'd say you're missing out. Performance between the T7 and NGX are not noticeable to me, but then again, I don't chase FPS and only look for smooth, stutter-free operation, which both aircraft provide gobs of.

To be honest, I really think the performance issues are just from the end user's configuration of their system more than anything.  Froogle has a video up where he mentions similar.

Kyle Rodgers

I would say this simulation is going to work best for people with 64 bit operating systems.  It uses a lot of Virtual Address Space. The aircraft is very,very nice but not sure us 32 bit'ers are going to get it to work.

Issues are no show-stoppers and either easy to work around them (like "stuck" frequencies in cold&dark) or to ignore them (like the Master caution light in cold&dark).

If you want this simulation, get it now - it won't be cheaper in half a year and a boxed version will likely take about the same time.

Just my 2 cents but I have a core2 quad 950 W/ 4 Gb's of ram and a 1GB Nvidia 470 Video card and the only issue I've had is the master caution light with a C&D startup. An old clunker some might say but performance is on par with the NGX for me. I say buy it, you won't be sorry. The plane is a work of art.

David Warner

David Warner

BetaTeamB.png

On my modest rig I get the same performance as with the NGX, no changes necessary. I have not had a single OOM. The bugs related to the startup state is easy to fix just by making my own state. No brainer, just buy it, it is awesome.

23.png

You are going to need quite some time to get familiar with all the systems, procedures and setup flows.

If you want to do it right that is!

So do you want to start to familiarize yourself with the 777 now?

Or later?

No performance problems here, no crashes, normal (expected) frame rates (20 - 30 fps).

But I do have a pretty strong, dedicated FSX PC!

Rob Robson

In no circumstances except default airports and scenery does the 777 get better frames than the ngx. I laugh at all the people claiming this was going to be true, it never is. it wasn't true when they said the MD-11 would get better frames than the 747, and the NGX better than the 747, etc etc etc. It's always worse and worse with the more features they put in. The 777 really shows it when you fly in addon airports with overcast weather. Your vas flies up through the roof more than any previous release.

I have had some OOM with the 777 and have never had the problem with the 737ngx. I don't consider my system to be lower end by any means. That being said the vast majority of flights were without an OOM. There are some bugs (the caution light doesn't turn off- drives me nuts, or you have to delete the ILS code when using cold/dark startup, etc). That being said these are relativity minor issues and don't take away from the simulation as a whole. In my view if you want this there is no reason to wait. The minor problems that occur will be fixed in the upcoming updates, but the plane is a functional and solid product as it is right now.