Sign in to follow this  
Virtualwombat

FTX Global Iceland Freeware Demo released

I checked my Aerosoft Iceland X against the screenshots available on the ORBX forums - a huge improvement, especially when you're close to the ground or actually on it ... and this baby's for free, including the Reykjavik airport.

For an alomst completely automated scenery based on landclass and autogen I am extremely impressed. For a developer it would be a breeze to fill in the gaps by adding a few custom buildings and landmarks.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Don't you guys think the demo is misleading. I mean it's beautful don't get me wrong and I have hundreds of dollars worth of ORBX scenery but they included payware mesh, photoreal Recylivc and some photoreal glaciers. While all that stuff is awesome and free I fear some users of the demo may think that the combo of global, olc and vector will get their entire would to look like the demo, but it won't. Anyways I wish them all the best and I will be buying OLC and vector soon as it comes out.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

On the contrary, the included User Guide makes it very clear that we are primarily demonstrating the three FTXG layers (base, vector, openLC) plus a bonus free mesh from PILOT'S.

Our Pacific Northwest free demo also includes a payware-quality KHQM Bowerman Airport and a large photoreal bay and also photoreal mountain peaks in the Olympic Peninsula. However we did not hear people calling it misleading and expecting PNW to be filled with payware airports.

Our Tasmania demo comes with a payware quality Launceston airport and again, we chose to add it to make the demo more enjoyable, not to mislead or misrepresent.

We could have left out the glacier and photoreal BIRK Reykjavik airport but we chose to add them in so that the demo could be enjoyed more. You can easily disable those two photoreal files in the demo if you want to revert to purely seeing the 3+1 layers.

In fact, Neil Hill is now working on airport upgrades for all the remaining airports in Iceland as a free patch.

Wonder if there is a way to use the airports from Iceland X in it.

Indeed there is, and one of our customers has already done for Keflavik X it in this video - 

You can see the airport from 2:39 onwards

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

Downloading right now.  I do really appreciate the added bonuses as well.  Kudos on the screenshots, they are absolutely stunning.  Can't wait to see it in my sim - I know where I'll be flying tonight.

Looking forward to the vector data & landclass packages!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I am confused. Orbx is giving away TOTALLY FREE scenery of ENTIRE Iceland PLUS FREE AIRPORT SCENERIES in Iceland as SINGLE STAND ALONE software for people who do not own Orbx base packagesI?????

And can it run well in laptop??

On different note, I always want to buy PAJN and PAKT sceneries from Orbx without buying Orbx base packages but I am told that would be BAD idea due to difference of altitude of the airports with FSX default ground textures.

Aharon

signCopy.jpg

Why YES it does.  I've tested out the trike and PMDG 777 at BIRK & surrounding areas and they run as smooth as silk. Many, many thanks to JV and the ORBX team for this incredible piece of work and their much appreciated generosity.  Iceland has never looked better!!

And to read above from JV that all the remaining Iceland airports will be upgraded in a future patch is the icing on the cake.  Yeeeeee hahhhhhh!!!!

I checked my Aerosoft Iceland X against the screenshots available on the ORBX forums - a huge improvement

Agree 100% Ollie :p0805:

Chris Sunseri

Why YES it does.  I've tested out the trike and PMDG 777 at BIRK & surrounding areas and they run as smooth as silk. Many, many thanks to JV and the ORBX team for this incredible piece of work and their much appreciated generosity.  Iceland has never looked better!!

And to read above from JV that all the remaining Iceland airports will be upgraded in a future patch is the icing on the cake.  Yeeeeee hahhhhhh!!!!

Agree 100% Ollie :p0805:

+1 thanks ORBX

I bought all

I am confused. Orbx is giving away TOTALLY FREE scenery of ENTIRE Iceland PLUS FREE AIRPORT SCENERIES in Iceland as SINGLE STAND ALONE software for people who do not own Orbx base packagesI?????

On different note, I always want to buy PAJN and PAKT sceneries from Orbx without buying Orbx base packages but I am told that would be BAD idea due to difference of altitude of the airports with FSX default ground textures.

Aharon

Its not totally free! you will end up buying all of their stuff , take my word for it lol

ZORAN

Wow, that looks impressive, and given that it's free (well, at least for the moment, as Zoran pointed out :P), this is incredible! Downloading it right now, and I'm really looking forward to my very first flight in Iceland.

Aharon

I bought all

Its not totally free! you will end up buying all of their stuff , take my word for it lol

The Iceland demo includes the techniques developed for FTX Global, openLandclass and so on. It's a marketing tool to advertise the products (current and upcoming) providing world-wide coverage with FTX Global, openLC and so on.

Check the Iceland demo user guide (available for download separate from the installer) for details.