Sign in to follow this  
MindYerBeak

FTX: Global VECTOR Released

LOL Some of the errors that are posted on the Orbx forum are so obvious that even a blind bat would have seen those flying at 10000 feet

No arguing that at all - while the Global "Base Pack" had some interesting issues when first released (and still does to a certain extent in some places), if the last few hours are any indication, the amount of messed up areas and items in Vector appears likely to skyrocket. I definitely pulled the trigger way too fast on this one, as it truly does at least give the impression that it wasn't given much more than a cursory glance at best. I have unchecked the "ORBX!VECTOR" item in my Scenery Library (since no installer was provided yet again),  and that seems to be enough to give me back the stock vector data, but I haven't looked at all the places I was having trouble with yet...

Reading through the issue list on their forums, it really looks to be a big disappointment and rushed out. Even more reason that this should have been given free (or at least free as part of global).

I don´t expect such an addon to be given away for free, but for a rather expensive product like this, a certain degree of QA should have been given before release.

For me it seems rushed and comms between Orbx/FTX and PILOT`s seems to have missed some very important items.

Normally You would not install addons (FS Global mesh in this case) if it´s meant to work with the default mesh, at least it would be utmost important to test with default first and then 3rd party mesh afterwards.

If a 3rd party mesh is required this should clearly be shown on the product page and preferably the installer should check for the existance of that and warn if not present.

FJ

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX2070S 8GB, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home

That is quite dissapointing, I agree.

But you got one thing wrong - vector data (Global Vector) doesn't cover cities, towns and villages, only coastlines, rivers, lakes, forsts and roads. UTX covers both Landclass and Vector data.

So UTX still wins out over vector in that area, I suppose. As I understand it, UTX is a bit more expensive than Vector but includes land class, although it only covers Europe and US/Canada whereas Vector is global.

ORBX on the other hand has two separate products for what UTX does (Vector and LC) so an effective comparison will be possible only once both products are available.

I am a bit surprised that so many seem to be using FSX with out a good mesh. I must be an easy sell because I have used Genesis for at least as long as FSX. It should also not come as a surprise that ORBX is going to slant their products to compete with Flight 1. After all Flight 1 has been very aggressive in trying to blow up Orbx and LM for some years now. ORBX has stated for months that they were working toward a complete solution for P3D scenery. That includes Mesh and landclass as well as Global. It's just business. You pay to play. Things that go fast, are fun and things that have boobs cost money!! end of story.

EDIT: after reading my post I want to make it very clear that I am not trashing Flight 1. They are only compeating for our business and I use and love many of their products.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Although, if you think about things, that's really quite a good thing. OK, you have to get the mesh, but one of the reasons I have never invested in a good mesh is because of the elevation issues at many airports. It sounds like Orbx have reworked things in such a way that we can enjoy the hi res mesh without any of the elevation issues

Well, my problem is that that mesh isn't hi res all over the world... It's even low res in Scandinavia were I fly most. (It's a rather mixed (and rather random) bag of hi and low and med res mesh, not what I expected). I certainly won't pay 60 euro's to replace hi res freeware mesh with low res payware mesh only to solve some elevation problems in Vector.

Of course right now no one knows yet if there indeed ARE any elevation problems. But if they indeed corrected a lot of airports that HAS to mean that same amount or airports will show up wrong in default FSX/P3D.

Awesome info in this thread guys, thanks. I'll be keeping UTX and FTXG and pass on FTXGV after all.

I have all UTX regions and the info available now strongly suggest UTX to be the best for a long while still.

And I'll be applying the tweak to get FTXG lights on UTX roads ;)

Cheers,

23.png

Some of you ladies/gents are funny, sometimes I don't think you know how to enjoy something for what it is.

Anyway, Vector is working very well for me ... I now have frozen lakes in Minnesota that were flowing before.  Roads do seem to have a purpose now.  Enjoying the product.

I'm running FTX Global with UTX for Europe. I was looking for FTX Vector, but I'm disappoinetd. I disabled UTX and tried Vector around LKPR and LKBE in Czech Republic where I live:

- UTX has six different types of roads (I use only four), with Vector I have only two. UTX is winner.

- Only huge rivers in Vector - I was missing streams around my city. UTX is winner.

- There are three big ponds around my city. Vector showed me only 1. UTX 3. UTX is winner.

- Vector don't have object repositioning - towns and villages cannot be recognized. With UTX I can recognize them easily even from FL330 and more. UTX is winner.

- UTX is for regions only, Vector is global. Vector is winner.

Is here someone with same results?

So how well is UTX working in P3DV2?

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Well, my problem is that that mesh isn't hi res all over the world... It's even low res in Scandinavia were I fly most. (It's a rather mixed (and rather random) bag of hi and low and med res mesh, not what I expected). I certainly won't pay 60 euro's to replace hi res freeware mesh with low res payware mesh only to solve some elevation problems in Vector.

Of course right now no one knows yet if there indeed ARE any elevation problems. But if they indeed corrected a lot of airports that HAS to mean that same amount or airports will show up wrong in default FSX/P3D.

PILOTS have a product that ships with their meshes called AFM (Aerodrome Flattening Meshes). It can also be bought separately.

http://www.fly2pilots.com/Cms/Ui/Pages/Products/MainPage.aspx?id=d3fca479-6c4c-465b-bd75-97445878ae48

As far as I know the application can fix airport elevation issues relative to their mesh by inserting a correction BGL into the scenery library (I may be wrong about this). These corrections may be shipped with Vector and we may be able to disable them for problem airfields.

Just an idea.

I am a bit surprised that so many seem to be using FSX with out a good mesh. I must be an easy sell because I have used Genesis for at least as long as FSX. It should also not come as a surprise that ORBX is going to slant their products to compete with Flight 1. After all Flight 1 has been very aggressive in trying to blow up Orbx and LM for some years now. ORBX has stated for months that they were working toward a complete solution for P3D scenery. That includes Mesh and landclass as well as Global. It's just business. You pay to play. Things that go fast, are fun and things that have boobs cost money!! end of story.

EDIT: after reading my post I want to make it very clear that I am not trashing Flight 1. They are only compeating for our business and a use and love many of their products.

Yes, but before I fork over my cash I want to know what I'm getting. Reading this thread is very informative - there are those guys who already bought Vector right off the bat and are getting good results, those who bought it and get bad results those who bought it but don't dare to install now for fear of wrecking a working install and those who will sit on the fence until theey see which direction the majority vote drifts.

Me, I'm a veteran fence-sitter - I got FSX Pro from Santa and just couldn't help screaming after installing at the tweaking effort ahead of me just to get it to look as good as my FS9.

SO I am really looking very carefully at all the products available currently for FSX, and all the informtion in threads like this taken with a grain of salt I grant you) is really helpful!

Merry Christmas to all!

Sascha