Sign in to follow this  

P3DV2.1 stutter or no stutter

P3DV2.1 Stutters Yes or No  

247 members have voted

1. 1. Are you getting stutters in P3DV2.1?

2. 2. What OS are you running?

3. 3. Do you use controllers (yokes, joysticks, rudders)?

Not sure why unlimited frames is odd... It's recommended by LM for 2.1.

Sorry... it's not odd that they recommend it, but it's odd in that something may be causing problems without you knowing. 

When I worked for WarBirds many years ago, the frame counter could display some unrealistically high value like 130 fps, and people went wild.  The attitude around the office was, "Um guys?  You're still limited by your monitor refresh rate."  I haven't trusted frame rate counters ever since.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I am getting horrible stutters with 2.1. 2.0 was unstable instead: it got messed up and refused to start every other day. I am getting the stutters witha  vanilla install and any aircraft.

Unfortunately, I am very busy until next August and I have no time at all for experimenting.  I'm afraid it's goodbye to p3d and g'day X-plane for me.

but it's odd in that something may be causing problems without you knowing.

Except... I don't have any problems!  Or if I do, then I don't know about them. :lol:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Do you have some monitoring software (like PE) running in the background?

In this testing, no process explorer or anything else running in the background.  But interesting info Jeroen, I'll see if running PE does indeed cause stutters (didn't with V2.0).

Not really sure what's going on here, but it certainly would explain why I have had a better experience running unlimited.

That is interesting info, but really need to see which "process" is actually causing the CPU usage an all core and get some prop animation goes to see how that works the cores ... it's hard to determine exactly what's what from Taskmgr.  But I'll play around with Affinity settings and see if it helps with V2.1 ... I was trying to keep my V2.1 install in a virgin state and only added the Q400 after getting what I thought was a stutter free solution.  I'll keep testing, I have a BIG spreadsheet of things I've tried ... but if I can't come to a solution by the end of this weekend (3 days of testing), I'll go back to my tried and true V2.0.

When I worked for WarBirds many years ago, the frame counter could display some unrealistically high value like 130 fps, and people went wild.  The attitude around the office was, "Um guys?  You're still limited by your monitor refresh rate."  I haven't trusted frame rate counters ever since.

Frame rate counters can be sometimes unpredictable, especially in Multi-GPU and Mutli-Monitor setups (BTW, I'm using on a single monitor and a single GPU during this testing process) ... BUT, in my case I'm not concerned about fps, I'm trying to solve the stutters.

running smooth as butter now. must have reinstalled 4 times until I found legacy simconnect was the cause of blank gauges in my fsx ported aircraft.

no tweaks, no NI, have not touched it.

disabled tessellation

got rid of HDR

shadows only in the cockpit, thats were I spend ny time.

no reflections

autogen medium

level of detail very dense

frames unlimited

ftx global installed

orbx airports installed (they look incredible! )

rex4 textures installed

amazing visuals. when I got frustrated I reinstalled fsx in my other pc, it looked archaic, I just cant go back to it! felt like I was going back to Sublogic's old sim.

I just got done testing Prepar3D v2.1 (full install) on three different setups (4770K, Asus Z87 mobo, 16Gb of RAM, AMD R9290X-DC2OC, Catalyst 14.1 v1.6) , (3770K, Asus Z77 mobo, 8Gb of RAM, Nvidia Titan SC w/334.67 drivers) , (4770K, Asus Z87 mobo, 16Gb of RAM, Nvidia Titan SC w/334.67 drivers).

All three setups used fresh OS installs of Windows 7/SP1 Ultimate 64 and Windows 8.1 Pro 64 (clean install from 8.1 ISO) with the OS installed on it's own Samsung 128Gb SSD and Prepar3D v2.1 installed on a separate Samsung 256Gb SSD. I use Icy Dock Hot Swap SSD/HD Cages which makes testing on multiple OS's a breeze.

All three setups exhibited some stuttering with the worst coming from the 4770K/AMD R290X setup. The smoothest results came from the 4770K/Titan setup running on Windows 8.1 Pro 64. All three setups did show a significant improvement with the stuttering issues compared to Prepar3D v2.0.

Just as an example, I have about a dozen other racing sims/games that I've run on all three systems (including X-Plane 10, aeroflyFS and DCS) and all of them run completely fluid with v-sync enabled.

Am doing some similar tuning with different priorities but getting similar results to Will's.  My latest (not final) setup:

-- HDR on

-- Volumetric fog on

-- Autogen normal

-- Level of detail one notch below highest

-- Water high (not ultra)

-- Texture resolution medium (1024)

-- Shadows: aircraft and sim objects on, buildings cast, terrain receive, the rest off

-- Orbx vector lights off

-- Frames unlimited

-- Rex textures

-- Opus weather

-- AI traffic at 20 percent all aircraft, 8 percent roads, 30 percent boats (I like boats)

-- NVidia Inspector profile set to default

Getting smooth performance around 50 fps flying into KDCA in fog and overcast.

I know this is a stutters thread, not a settings thread.  My reason for posting here is that I'm finding that some of the tolerances are really tight.  For example, I moved autogen buildings up one notch to dense and got very slight stutters.  Swtiched back to normal and stutters disappeared.

Dropping the custom NVidia Inspector profile seems to have made a decisive difference in overall performance.  The price is some slight shimmers but not remotely as bad as in 2.0 without inspector, and worth the overall performance gain.

In general, it seems that the less external tuning you do, and the more you trade off among the internal sliders, the better performance you get.

Or I do, anyway.

Dropping the custom NVidia Inspector profile seems to have made a decisive difference in overall performance.  The price is some slight shimmers but not remotely as bad as in 2.0 without inspector, and worth the overall performance gain.

I didn't see any benefit to using Nvidia Inspector. I originally thought that using the ½ refresh rate option with a 30 fps frame rate lock in Prepar3D v2.1 might work but even with those settings I still see some micro-stuttering.  

I am a happy (or lucky?) customer of v2.1. 

I fly with Q400, REX, FTGX, and Opus and stuttering problem has greately improved in v2.1! 

When I first installed v2.1, stuttering was worse than v2.0 (with the same configuration). It looked like exactly as seen in the video above. GPU usage increased about 15% on average in my observation.

I just did following two things, then stuttering almost disappear!! GPU usage became similar as before. I do not know which one caused this.

1. Reinstalled FTGX

2. Change texture setting to Lowest and then back to Midium (1024x1024)

I know I am no expert and there is no logic in it. But it is what happend to me.  

i7 4.5G, 760GTX, 3 moniters, Bioshock on, No SGSS, no cfg tweak, win7 64bit, FPS limit 32. 

running smooth as butter now. must have reinstalled 4 times until I found legacy simconnect was the cause of blank gauges in my fsx ported aircraft.

no tweaks, no NI, have not touched it.

disabled tessellation

got rid of HDR

shadows only in the cockpit, thats were I spend ny time.

no reflections

autogen medium

level of detail very dense

frames unlimited

ftx global installed

orbx airports installed (they look incredible! )

rex4 textures installed

amazing visuals. when I got frustrated I reinstalled fsx in my other pc, it looked archaic, I just cant go back to it! felt like I was going back to Sublogic's old sim.

Hi 

Can you please elaborate on which Orbx airports you were able to successfully install. And did you have to use the migrator tool to install them .

Thanks!

Rob Already showed my info earlier but all trys to rid stutters have been in vain . My system is up to the task. 2.1 update from LM has got to be the problem. Ran great before update. Fsx runs  really good on my system.   Denny

Hi

Can you please elaborate on which Orbx airports you were able to successfully install. And did you have to use the migrator tool to install them .

Thanks!

hi, I only own BN and ML. both installed with the migrator tool. best performance and visuals I have ever seen in those two airports. very happy

Your template was nice, so I co-opted it. Here's what I use for my stutter-free settings:

- HDR on

-- Volumetric fog on

-- Autogen normal

-- Level of detail  highest

-- Water  ultra

-- Texture resolution medium (1024)

-- Shadows: aircraft and sim objects on, buildings cast, terrain receive, the rest off

-- Orbx vector lights off

-- Frames unlimited

-- Rex textures

-- Opus weather

-- AI traffic (MyTraffic X) at 30 percent airline, 10 percent GA, 4 percent roads, 4 percent boats (I like boats too, but ...)

-- nVidia Inspector profile set to default

--Explicit Affinity Mask = all cores

hi, I only own BN and ML. both installed with the migrator tool. best performance and visuals I have ever seen in those two airports. very happy

So you did not get the dreaded peopleflow dll error on install ? I would love to install NZMF if that is fixed with 2.1