Sign in to follow this  
3-2-1-Now

Reverse Thrust Deployment

Hi,

Something I found is the (apparent) inability to select reverse thrust whilst the nose gear is still in the air. Does anyone else see this?

I'm going to do some test flights.

Best regards,

Robin.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Happens every flight but I figured the 777 waits till the nose touches to give reverse.

I think its oke. On all youtube video's i see they use reverse when nose wheel is off the ground.

Same on the MD11 for eng 1 and 2 number 3 waits for the nose wheel

I don't think I've ever needed reverse thrust ever in this model.  

You're not supposed to let the brakes take the brunt of all the breaking.

I've never seen a commercial flight not use reverse thrusters after touchdown, primarily for safety reasons.

Yeah it's now easier with SP1. There's a "Override in Flare" option now. I override to idle at 20 feet personally - stops floating if you over flare too. I can now get reverse thrust out asap with a key set to my throttle - before I had to wait until just after the nose gear touched down!! Hopefully SP1 fixes it for you too.

• Upvote 1

I've never seen a commercial flight not use reverse thrusters after touchdown, primarily for safety reasons.

Even at idle thrust, the engines produce some residual thrust.

Not using the reverse thrust is the equivalent of pressing both your break and accelerator in your car at the same time as you come up to a red traffic light to slow down and stop.

"Idle" reverse thrust is quite often used as a noise abatement procedure. Just crack the reverser mechanisms open, and leave the engines at idle. This reduces wear and heat on the breaks, and in a manner which isn't insignificant. Not only stopping the "Forward thrust" of the idling engines, but adding a tiny bit of drag from the reversed idle thrust.

The use of reverse thrust during flight is strictly prohibited because it leads to a stall while flying and while stalling the nose goes down, and so it might lead to a crash or a real hard landing.

It's a method of security added by PMDG.

Because the reverse thrust don't have enough power to gain the speed at which you can gain altitude: you'd go in a stall.

And even if they could, imagine the airplane going backwards. It means almost the whole flight again.

End.

EDIT: I read this in the manual of FlightFactor 777, which is the short form of the real manual boeing has wrote.

Even at idle thrust, the engines produce some residual thrust.

Not using the reverse thrust is the equivalent of pressing both your break and accelerator in your car at the same time as you come up to a red traffic light to slow down and stop.

"Idle" reverse thrust is quite often used as a noise abatement procedure. Just crack the reverser mechanisms open, and leave the engines at idle. This reduces wear and heat on the breaks, and in a manner which isn't insignificant. Not only stopping the "Forward thrust" of the idling engines, but adding a tiny bit of drag from the reversed idle thrust.

The guy I quoted said he never used reverse thrust.

I said that's abnormal, as in the reverser never opening on the engine itself during a landing.

I've never seen one live flight land without the reversers opening to let some kind of thrust help in breaking.

The guy I quoted said he never used reverse thrust.

I said that's abnormal, as in the reverser never opening on the engine itself during a landing.

I've never seen one live flight land without the reversers opening to let some kind of thrust help in breaking.

I mentioned in another topic that QR sometimes don't operate rev thrust on Landing into Doha.  At least when landing on 34

I've been on a few flights where reverse is not used.  Two of them have been at KSFO in a 737.  Runway 28L is long enough for them to coast out with minimum braking until they need to turn off.

John

Oh I know that, I'm just saying I've never needed it to make a runway.  I just use idle reverse in this thing.  Seems to stop on a dime without heating the brakes.  Maybe once I work her in a bit more I'll get some maintenance issues with them but she's still brand new with only a few hundred hours on the .ini

Yeah it's now easier with SP1. There's a "Override in Flare" option now. I override to idle at 20 feet personally - stops floating if you over flare too. I can now get reverse thrust out asap with a key set to my throttle - before I had to wait until just after the nose gear touched down!! Hopefully SP1 fixes it for you too.

What is this?  A throttle override in flare?  I'm not following I don't think.  

Can you clarify this please? Reverse should be available with the mains on the ground but the nose wheel still in the air.

This sounds like you can now take reverse in flight???

Best regards,

Robin.

What is this?  A throttle override in flare?  I'm not following I don't think.  

Can you clarify this please? Reverse should be available with the mains on the ground but the nose wheel still in the air.

This sounds like you can now take reverse in flight???

Best regards,

Robin.

It's why I shouldn't post half asleep  :P

There is now an option to override the Autothrottle with your physical throttle on the flare. So if you want to just cut to idle power at 20 feet rather than wait for the AT to get back (which, if you look, is done on a day-to-day basis in 777 operations), you can. Once the main gear touch the ground, I can now activate reverse thrust asap. Unlike before I had the same problem as you, where I couldn't use it until way after the nose wheel touches down. So this issue has been resolved. Even if you leave the AT to come back to Idle, you can see activate reverse thrust as soon as the main gear touches down. I and many other pilots override it to reduce the chance of flaring. Since the 777 is very sensitive in the flare. Each situation you treat differently I guess  ^_^

• Upvote 1

Is there a way to use idle reverse in FSX?

After you touch down just press the F2 key two or three times to crack open the reverser doors, but leave the engine idling.

Check it on the EICAS that the REV indication goes from yellow to green, but the engine doesn't spool up.

Hi,

Something I found is the (apparent) inability to select reverse thrust whilst the nose gear is still in the air. Does anyone else see this?

I'm going to do some test flights.

Best regards,

Robin.

For me reverse works just fine with the nosewheel in the air. Any inability to do so is related to your throttle set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a screenshot showing my 777 with reverser operating after I held the nose up deliberately on landing.

777_tr_test.jpg

This was discussed before, and i have the same problem. The reversers only deploy after nose gear touches the ground. Hopefully SP1 will fix this

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the suggestion, but it is not my hardware that is causing this. I can deploy the reversers fine, only *not* at touchdown with the nose gear still flying.

Best regards,

Robin.

Mine does not need the nose gear to be on the runway exactly like kevinh shows.  i don't see how it's a bug with the B777 since some experience it and others do not.  Sounds more like individual hardware issues.

Mine does not need the nose gear to be on the runway exactly like kevinh shows. i don't see how it's a bug with the B777 since some experience it and others do not. Sounds more like individual hardware issues.

Actually it is a bug confirmed by PMDG, that's why it's being fixed in sp1 according to EGLL77W, who is a beta tester here.

By the way, I just read this post and just fyi, I'm not meaning to sound rude. Sorry if it's coming across that way