Sign in to follow this  
BAW

Happy Birthday to HM The Queen

Those degrees clearly didn't serve the guys at Lehann Brothers well.

Well, quite.

I'm also not entirely sure where all these 40K public sector jobs are for which you need no qualifications.

Well, quite.

I'm also not entirely sure where all these 40K public sector jobs are for which you need no qualifications.

Neither am I. I suspect we won't get a list off him either.

. don't tell me Rooney has a degree, is he worth 250K /quote]

No he's not!

* Runs away singing we're top of the league*

It is amazing how similar the UK is (except the Queen) to the US. There is the same disdain for public sector workers and lying politicians. I agree the public sector employees take it on the chin, some rightfully so, others not.  Let's face it, nobody likes adhering  to laws and rules that don't suit them.

It is amazing how similar the UK is (except the Queen) to the US. There is the same disdain for public sector workers and lying politicians. I agree the public sector employees take it on the chin, some rightfully so, others not.  Let's face it, nobody likes adhering  to laws and rules that don't suit them.

Well, it's hereditary ;)

Dave,

the queen doesnt "run" the country,  the government does, (the lisbon treaty for example that was signed by Blair and not the queen), and in turn we the British people vote every 4 years to decide which party runs the government.

Without doubt, Thatcher was indeed the best PM this country ever had.  Blair and Brown should be arrested and thrown in jail without trial for what they did to our country.

Edited by n4gix
Removed excessive quote!

Without doubt, Thatcher was indeed the best PM this country ever had.  Blair and Brown should be arrested and thrown in jail without trial for what they did to our country.

She was the best PM this country ever had for the rich folk like yourselves! :) Not so much for the other 80%.

To my non-commonwealth friends on here that are confused....She is a head of state, The United States (for example) has the President that would be considered head of state, the difference is the Royal Family actually makes money and turns profits without doing anything, whereas anything in the US Government does just costs the tax payer money

That's very misleading.  The US President proposes legislation and has executive powers up to and including the power to instigate military action.  The British monarch does not have that sort of power and hasn't had for 300 years.  

The executive role of the US President is far closer to the British Prime Minister than it is to the Queen.  The role of the Queen (and Parliament) is far closer to that of the US Congress and the judiciary in providing a check against unconstitutional executive abuse.

The British system relies on having a non-political head of state, unless we want to scrap what's worked well for 3 centuries and switch over entirely to the American model.  

I suspect it would cost considerably more to support a president than it does the monarchy, not least because we'd have to pay for a large political office to go with it.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it, unless you're coming from somewhere to the left of Lenin.

ngxu_banner.png

The Queen of England serves as a unifying force and a good person.  Until the monarchy fails to do this, I'd suggest to her people that they let her keep the job.  She represents all of the people.

When I look at the United States, I see no one in that role.  Instead, we follow celebrities and movie stars, some with talent, others without.  Here in the Boston area, our media dote on quarterback Tom Brady and his supermodel wife.  Our so-called "leaders" are led around by their special interest groups.  No one represents all of the people, or even pretends to.

God save the Queen.

The Queen of England serves as a unifying force and a good person

God save the Queen.

+1

Thank you Captain for getting this thread back on track.

Peter Schluter

That's very misleading.

I didn't want to get into rolls that the heads of state play in each nation as each nation has a different approach to governing.....I was just trying to show the uniqueness of the monarchy plays in creating a billion dollar industry that continues to turn profits.

Her powers compared to the powers of a president is a different issue all together. The point I was making is when people think perhaps is it time to get rid of the monarchy. I always say no because it makes no sense to dismantle a billion dollar industry.

Compare that to any other nation that has a government that costs the tax payer billions of dollars to support every year. This is how the Monarchy is unique as it is a government institution that actually turns profits. Her powers is irrelevant to me as long as she continues to sell that ugly Royal China  :lol:

Look at that.....Even Baby George has his own China, he can barely walk and he is already making money for the tax payer:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/kate-middleton/10200936/Designs-for-official-china-collection-for-Prince-George-unveiled.html

Matthew Kane

Well, quite.

just for you then...

https://www.taxpayersalliance.com/waste/2012/01/nonjob-week-50.html

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/5542426/nhs-wastes-almost-46m-on-pointless-jobs.html

and im guessing the underground strike... you must of missed that one...

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/458055/Traffic-and-train-chaos-as-Tube-strike-hits-commuters

remember her...

124470.jpg

you do realise that in London if you where to have a decent stanardard of living you need to be on  at least 25000 more a year.. do you think for example retail jobs pay that much ? do you think a job in tesco gets paid that much ? do you think dominos pizza's pay that much ?

sometimes people really do think in London we all wear bower hats, drive mercs and are all on 100K a year, its staggers me sometimes to hear the naivety or northerns who have never been to the city, or at least tried to make a living here.

Google for example how much a zone 1 to 4  tube pass is its £172.80. and then google how much the average rent is in that area, then you will see why its now the norm for young people to be renting 3 bed houses and using the lounge as a bedroom, and why people are now sharing rooms !!! not houses but rooms !!!!

14ppkc-6.png

Those publications are so far from being impartial that anything they spout has to be taken with a massive pinch of salt, and you can find non-jobs anywhere you like if you look hard enough, even in the private sector. The tube strikes were about things other than 40K non-qualified jobs. I don't happen to agree with the strikes anyway but I'll hold my hands up and say I'm not aware of all the facts so can't fully pass judgement. Reading a few articles from places like the Daily Fail etc gives you a view that is so far from the truth it's laughable (have a look at http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.co.uk/).

I'm not sure what you're trying to say when you refer to private sector low paid jobs and London being massively expensive - you do realise that the basis of all of that is capitalism and what your hero Thatcher lauded? However I agree it is now getting silly in London and you do need a 6 figure salary to have a 'comfortable' living there. But no-one is forcing you to live there, are they? Maybe you should just walk into one of those 40K public sector jobs, after all you don't need any qualifications... :wink:

This thread was an attempt to wish the British Queen a happy birthday. Yet, some have chosen to turn this into a political debate. I suggest to all that this topic return to its' original subject.

While I'm not a British subject, I wish the Queen and everybody else that has the same birthday a very happy birthday.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals