Sign in to follow this  
DylanM

Small nugget of info on v2.3

That is exactly my perception. When flying GA aircraft (no matter which one) I always get 60 FPS (with reasonable settings even over Orbx regions) and it is perfectly smooth. Just wonderful. However, when the framerate drops below 60 FPS, the stutters start. Even with 40 FPS there are stutters. It doesn't destroy the immersion but it is not nearly as nice as with 60 FPS+, especially in turns. In anticipation of the standard answers "You just have to turn down your settings": Yes, I know. I could turn them done (no shadows, etc.) to always maintain 60 FPS. But what I prefer as a solution is actually to get back the 1/2 refresh rate vsync option which works in FSX and which gave a perfectly smooth experience at only 30 FPS. Because I think it is a shame that even though P3D2.2 performs excellent (on my system I rarely experience drops below 30 FPS even with cloud shadows), it still stutters in the range of 30-60 FPS. I really don't know if there is a way to get back that 1/2 refresh rate vsync option with an update of the NVidia drivers, because I read somewhere that it cannot be done since the full screen mode is no longer a real full screen but rather a window without borders... But I'm still dreaming to get back that smoothness of FSX at 30 FPS...

How are you guys getting 60 FPS?!?!?   Are these for the most part sustainable, or do you blip to the 60's...and then go lower.  On my system, if I can maintain 30 (with P3D running 'hot') that is considered a blessing.  I am now running between 27-30, but truly don't expect performance beyond that, at this time.....

How are you guys getting 60 FPS?!?!? Are these for the most part sustainable, or do you blip to the 60's...and then go lower. On my system, if I can maintain 30 (with P3D running 'hot') that is considered a blessing. I am now running between 27-30, but truly don't expect performance beyond that, at this time.....

As I said. With GA aircraft (default or A2A C172) my frame rate is mostly (90% of the time) stable at around 60 FPS (-/+ 3) with moderate clouds, cloud shadows at 20000m, no terrain shadows, autogen at dense. Even when flying over Orbx PNW, SAK, etc. This is with a GTX780 OC + 4770K@4.6GHz. When flying GA aircraft P3D is really wonderful. Only situation in which it starts to stutter is in overcast conditions with cloud shadows enabled (without cloud shadows I still have 60 fps). However, once you add a large airport or a system heavy aircraft to the mix, this is when performance starts to weaken. I still have >30 fps in most situations but I notice stutters which are annoying. As I already said, especially in turns over large cities with a lot of autogen, performance is not that great anymore. In these situations FSX with the 1/2 refresh rate vsync is still smoother on my system. That's why I still prefer to fly the tubeliners in FSX (also because a lot of airports still do not work 100% in P3D). However, for GA aircraft P3D is just amazing... But I still think it's a shame that even though P3D performs brilliantly, the stutters at more than 30 fps but less than 60 fps are a pain. That's where FSX with the 1/2 refresh rate vsync is still better for me because smoothness is more important for me than anything else...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

As I said. With GA aircraft (default or A2A C172) my frame rate is mostly (90% of the time) stable at around 60 FPS (-/+ 3) with moderate clouds, cloud shadows at 20000m, no terrain shadows, autogen at dense. Even when flying over Orbx PNW, SAK, etc. This is with a GTX780 OC + 4770K@4.6GHz. When flying GA aircraft P3D is really wonderful. Only situation in which it starts to stutter is in overcast conditions with cloud shadows enabled (without cloud shadows I still have 60 fps). However, once you add a large airport or a system heavy aircraft to the mix, this is when performance starts to weaken. I still have >30 fps in most situations but I notice stutters which are annoying. As I already said, especially in turns over large cities with a lot of autogen, performance is not that great anymore. In these situations FSX with the 1/2 refresh rate vsync is still smoother on my system. That's why I still prefer to fly the tubeliners in FSX (also because a lot of airports still do not work 100% in P3D). However, for GA aircraft P3D is just amazing... But I still think it's a shame that even though P3D performs brilliantly, the stutters at more than 30 fps but less than 60 fps are a pain. That's where FSX with the 1/2 refresh rate vsync is still better for me because smoothness is more important for me than anything else...

I have simular setup and i see same performance. When you refering to 1/2 refreshrate you must be using fullscreen in FSX?

I fly the tubes as well in FSX and use windowedmode as i have external FMC/CDUII and using ND/PFD on a second monitor.

I cant see anything differently in windowed mode with the Vsync trick in NI. (do have the ForceWindowedVsync=1 in fsx.cfg)

Michael 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I have simular setup and i see same performance. When you refering to 1/2 refreshrate you must be using fullscreen in FSX?

Yes. I'm running FSX in full screen mode. 1/2 refresh rate vsync only works in full screen mode as far as I remember. This is also the reason why it does not work in P3D. Because the full screen mode in P3D is not a real full screen but rather a window without any borders... If people have used FSX in windowed mode before, I can well imagine that they feel P3D is much smoother. It certainly is compared to FSX in windowed mode. Compared to FSX in full screen mode with the 1/2 refresh rate vsync, P3D is also much smoother when frames are above 60 fps. However, when frames drop to less than 60 fps, P3D stutters more than FSX with a locked 30 fps and 1/2 refresh rate vsync. That's all I'm saying. And this is really a shame, because I can imagine that a P3D with 1/2 refresh rate vsync would be wonderful...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

How are you guys getting 60 FPS?!?!?   Are these for the most part sustainable, or do you blip to the 60's...and then go lower.  On my system, if I can maintain 30 (with P3D running 'hot') that is considered a blessing.  I am now running between 27-30, but truly don't expect performance beyond that, at this time.....

I don't think anyone is seeing consistent 60 in any kind of complex scenery & conditions--we all have a pretty good sense by now of what can be done w/ good hardware w/ P3D V2.21.  But it does spoil you when it happens  :P

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

VESA is implementing adaptive v-sync technology in the DisplayPort 1.2a standard.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8008/vesa-adds-adaptivesync-to-displayport-12a-standard-variable-refresh-monitors-move-forward

Does anyone know if AdaptiveSync will work in windowed mode?  Everything I've read about G-Sync says it will only work in full-screen exclusive mode, which P3Dv2 doesn't use.  Hopefully this new technology will be different.

I've always had the same question... seems like tons of people say 60 fps and I am left scratching my head.  I have a 4770K @ 4.4 GHz and a superclocked GTX 780.  My experience has been if I am in a big city with a payware airport (FS Dream team and Flight beam are my favorites) with an add on airplane (Aerosoft Airbus Extended) with FTX Global and My Traffic with moderate to high settings in P3D... My frames can even dip to the teens at times.  For the most part though at low altitude with payware tubeliners and cloud shadows, etc. I have between 20 and 30.  When I get to cruising altititude that is when I start seeing spikes to 60 fps.

-Phil

They may be seeing 60FPS, but not necessarily sustaining 60.  Heck I see 60's all the time.  But in the "real-world" of my simulation world I am mainly in my 30's.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Can confirm that frame-limiting to 30fps gives the best smoothness, though not completely stutter free. As said, you won't see this sort of smoothness until we can achieve 60fps or 1/2 refresh rate VSYNC.

Any idea as to when we might see v2.3? I haven't bothered to update from 2.1, got tired of fiddling around and went back to FSX 100%. The AA in p3d 2.1 is unacceptable .

DoubleJ, this might have been a mistake. 2.1 and 2.2 are like day and night. And if 2.3 will indeed be better than 2.2 (which I hope of course) has to be proven yet.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Any idea as to when we might see v2.3? I haven't bothered to update from 2.1, got tired of fiddling around and went back to FSX 100%. The AA in p3d 2.1 is unacceptable .

2.2 is definitely worth getting.  Very different in terms of performance.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I've always had the same question... seems like tons of people say 60 fps and I am left scratching my head.  I have a 4770K @ 4.4 GHz and a superclocked GTX 780.  My experience has been if I am in a big city with a payware airport (FS Dream team and Flight beam are my favorites) with an add on airplane (Aerosoft Airbus Extended) with FTX Global and My Traffic with moderate to high settings in P3D... My frames can even dip to the teens at times.  For the most part though at low altitude with payware tubeliners and cloud shadows, etc. I have between 20 and 30.  When I get to cruising altititude that is when I start seeing spikes to 60 fps.

-Phil

I decided this morning, that I want P3D full bore..everything on, and at full throttle.  My system with that setting configuration, is giving me sustainable 17's  With adding BUFFER POOLS to my .cfg file this morning, that has brought as much animation smoothness, at 17 (even down to 10!), that I had at 27-30 FPS.  So...I'm quite happy to see that P3D will give you satisfactory performance, even if you do dip into the teens or single digits.  Heck, I can remember when first getting FSX up and running, it was exactly 17 FPS, that I had to work with....so, I have come full circle in a sort of way, LOL!

Mitch