Sign in to follow this  
calooom

DoveTail Games Buys Licensing Deal with Microsoft

Hopefully there will be enough of us who aren't "the kids" to show that there is a market for $89 add-ons. If there is a market for them, they will be available. If there isn't, they won't be.

There IS a market for a $89 add-on... because there IS a $89 add-on available.

You guys keep thinking you have to sell 4.5 million copies for it to be viable. Let me tell you how the soda biz makes its money; one bottle sale at a time.

You guys keep thinking you have to sell 4.5 million copies for it to be viable. Let me tell you how the soda biz makes its money; one bottle sale at a time.

About 1.7 billion bottles of coke are sold each day. That's why its viable.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

There IS a market for a $89 add-on... because there IS a $89 add-on available.

Yes but is joe investor going to invest in a flight sim that will net 20-30 million in profit or something like GTA V which will net over 1 billion. If it was me I'd invest in what has the largest market and returns.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Sorry, but it would have to be one hell of an add-on for me to spent $89.00 bucks. Just too old I guess. It still grips me that so many people complained so bitterly about the high cost of aircraft and land mass additions for MS Flight. I thought they were super reasonable and I had looked forward to so many more. I know, I know, dead and gone. Or is it? At any rate, add-on stuff will never be as cheap again.

P.S. I just found a great little Space Shuttle landing ap for ipad and android ($5.00) that will keep me happy for some time.

Steve 

Sorry, but it would have to be one hell of an add-on for me to spent $89.00 bucks. Just too old I guess. It still grips me that so many people complained so bitterly about the high cost of aircraft and land mass additions for MS Flight. I thought they were super reasonable and I had looked forward to so many more. I know, I know, dead and gone. Or is it? At any rate, add-on stuff will never be as cheap again.

P.S. I just found a great little Space Shuttle landing ap for ipad and android ($5.00) that will keep me happy for some time.

Steve 

The PMDG 777 is a great add-on for sure and well worth the $$$$$

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/Railworks/achievements Can guess on achivement dlc is not really selling great, or a really high loss of players.

Well, considering that the game, TS2015 was only released 9 days ago, and that all of peoples old achievements were apparently deleted by Steam...........

There's actually nothing significant to be gathered from those numbers.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I recall Dovetail said they would be making an announcement regarding FSX at Flight Sim 2014.

I didn't get to go, but does anyone know if they made the announcement and what it was about.

Jack Cannon

No announcement made but it was good to be able to talk to the guys

cheers,

Lewis

Lewis - A2A Simulations

No announcement made but it was good to be able to talk to the guys.

Care to elaborate on this discussion, assuming that "the guys" were DTG reps?

I'm really hoping that DTG will bring a flight sim platform to the market which eventually renders owning a P3D license irrelevant for the FS hobbiest (such as myself).  IMO it's the perfect "Field of Dreams" scenario, as in "if you build it, they will come".

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

I am still somewhat puzzled as to what Dovetail Games expect to achieve with this FS license. By the time that they release an "entertainment" successor to FSX, a rather large number of people are going to be using P3D. What are the chances of them doing anything over and above what LM have already done with P3D, and in less than a year? You could argue that the difference would be the "entertainment" license, but LM seem to be doing just fine selling P3D to the average flightsimmer as far as I can see.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I am still somewhat puzzled as to what Dovetail Games expect to achieve with this FS license. By the time that they release an "entertainment" successor to FSX, a rather large number of people are going to be using P3D. What are the chances of them doing anything over and above what LM have already done with P3D, and in less than a year? You could argue that the difference would be the "entertainment" license, but LM seem to be doing just fine selling P3D to the average flightsimmer as far as I can see.

They're going to do exactly what they did with train simulator. Dress it up a bit i.e. new menus, advertise it as a new game and sell expensive dlcs.

Dress it up a bit i.e. new menus, advertise it as a new game and sell expensive dlcs.

They are not allowed to do any of this per the purchase agreement, so no.

I spoke to DTG on Saturday at Cosford, where they said the first part of their plan is to place FSX Gold on Steam. The first goal to make sure it's all up and running smoothly on Steam, exactly what we have now, and then start progressing it. They said they want to maintain a good level of backward compatibility with FSX, and are taking notes and exploring addons. They spoke of moving things forward in the way we would like, and avoid directions that MS FLIGHT took, which was too dumbed down for them.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com