Sign in to follow this  
PDX Flyer

Whatever Happened To Realair?

Guest JustanotherPilot

I regularly use the RealAir Turbine Duke in my AirHauler setup, I've managed flights to FL310 with a GS of 360 knots! Their aircraft are up there as benchmarks for GA aircraft, and the after sales service, no matter what inquiry is fast friendly and efficient, yes they are still around......the quiet achievers.

These companies seem to do planes they can get their hands on somehow to study.

In that case, I've never seen the Diamond DA40 Diamond Star, which seems to be available fo rent in PDX at a few places. I've never seen an addon of this plane. I see addons of Cessna's, PIper's, and even SR22's (that would be cool too)

Also a real detailed model of the Caravan would be awesome, as that is used quite a bit in the field as well for sight seeing and such.

As much as I would love a DA-42-VI from RealAir, I don't think we would see any glass cockpits from RealAir, or A2A for that matter, considering the time required to program and model such complex avionics.  The analog/RXP combo (and potential F1GTX combo) already works very well and provides the ability to navigate realistically in all environments.  No need to reinvent the wheel eh? B)

If you really want a G1000 trainer, go to Garmin and pay the 35 bucks or so to get a full trainer and you can really see just how complex that damn thing is LOL, it's no wonder F1 only goes so far on their FS level G1000.  They would spend years and years developing it, meanwhile Garmin keeps adding features.  I got the DA-42 G1000 trainer, all I can say is wow...its like having a whole flight simulator within just the avionics package lol.

It would be an understandable decision though. How many customers of the A2A C172 would purchase another version of the same aircraft, even if it was developed by RealAir?

I would. Much as I like the A2A 172, it would be nice to have one that I can actually trim...but that aside, I still would have bought the RealAir version.

These companies seem to do planes they can get their hands on somehow to study.

In that case, I've never seen the Diamond DA40 Diamond Star, which seems to be available fo rent in PDX at a few places. I've never seen an addon of this plane. I see addons of Cessna's, PIper's, and even SR22's (that would be cool too)

Also a real detailed model of the Caravan would be awesome, as that is used quite a bit in the field as well for sight seeing and such.

There's at least two Diamondstars out there... Alabeo just did a non glass version and IRIS has a G1000 version... Both are defaultish - the Alabeo looks better.

Eaglesoft did a Twinstar that was decent and Aerosoft did a Katana 4x which is superb, probably the original A2A type of addon. Unfortunately the katana is basically a powered glider and super slow - it's not even installed. But Marcel (brains behind the katana) is making a Pilatus PC6 which looks incredible.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

There's at least two Diamondstars out there... Alabeo just did a non glass version and IRIS has a G1000 version... Both are defaultish - the Alabeo looks better.

Eaglesoft did a Twinstar that was decent and Aerosoft did a Katana 4x which is superb, probably the original A2A type of addon. Unfortunately the katana is basically a powered glider and super slow - it's not even installed. But Marcel (brains behind the katana) is making a Pilatus PC6 which looks incredible.

+1

http://www.marcelfelde.de/design/content/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=2&Itemid=12

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Flight Replicas have some tricked-up Super Cubs that might meet your needs - I think the 'Ultra' is IFR capable, and their stand alone Amphib Super Cub Deluxe certainly is:
http://secure.simmarket.com/flight-replicas-super-cub-deluxe-ifr-amphibious.phtml

Thank you for the suggestion, but I gave it a shot already. The idea of a hotted up 180HP+ Cub with giant flaps, tundra tires and IFR panel sounds perfect, but their execution was less than stellar.  I found the ground handling to be bouncy and stall physics ridiculously benign. The ACA Scout, as old as it is, imho is still far superior. Just needs an update on ear and eye candy.

I was late to the party and just recently purchased the Lancair and B60 v2. Now the B60 is my go to favorite. My only regret was that I didn't buy it sooner. Whatever they make in the future will be a buy for me (unless it's a warbird  - no interest) I'm hoping they throw their hat into the P3D ring as well.

I must say I love the rain effects and physics enhancements a lot and wish more devs would follow suit. Hopefully this stuff will be in whatever their next project is.

Flight Replicas have some tricked-up Super Cubs that might meet your needs - I think the 'Ultra' is IFR capable, and their stand alone Amphib Super Cub Deluxe certainly is:http://secure.simmarket.com/flight-replicas-super-cub-deluxe-ifr-amphibious.phtml

Their Super Cub Ultra has a rip in the instrument panel along the top edge of the tachometer that lets you see through it to the outside. So if you are flying for instance in the day over light colored water such as the carribean you see it flashing by on the instrument panel above the tach, which is tacky (pun intended) When contacting FR about the issue over a year ago they said they had no intention to fix it. Big bummer cause its a great aircraft otherwise. Their earlier Super Cub package has no such issues and is the one I'd recommend buying, unless of course seeing the outside world flashing through your instrument panel doesn't bother you.

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg

I would. Much as I like the A2A 172, it would be nice to have one that I can actually trim...but that aside, I still would have bought the RealAir version.

I would buy the RA version, because it most likely will be 100% "Shared Cockpit" compatible  ... (as all previous RA planes have been) --  after all, as a trainer aircraft that so many have learnt to fly in,  that learning was done with an instructor  -  ie  In Shared Cockpit mode.

A Modern C172,  with a realistic Glass Cockpit  would be so different to  A2A's C172,  that it would little matter if one already has the A2A version,  one would also want a modern RA version.

I wish RealAir would work out a deal with Cessna for a 402C model, it would sell very well.

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

I'm not so sure.... Just another twin... Though I'd definitely buy it the 402 isn't anything special.

Honestly Carenado unfortunately saturates the payware market with pretty planes, gobbling up a lot of the market share I'm guessing.

Kinda kills the profits for a2a, RA, F1 etc

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I'm not so sure.... Just another twin... Though I'd definitely buy it the 402 isn't anything special.

Honestly Carenado unfortunately saturates the payware market with pretty planes, gobbling up a lot of the market share I'm guessing.

Kinda kills the profits for a2a, RA, F1 etc

"Never mind the quality, feel the width..."  :smile:

4642.jpg

I have many Carenado (and Alabeo) aircraft, but I would happily replace most of them with Real Air versions if they produced them - Carenado planes may be pretty but Real Air products are in a different quality league. For that reason I think anything they produce is likely to sell well.

Bill

Learning to fly in a 172 is like learning to drive an automatic. Learning to fly in a Citabria is like learning to drive in a stickshift. If you learn to drive a stick, you really learn to fundamental understand energy management in a car.

This is so true.  When I was training in a 172 I felt like I was driving a 1978 Plymouth.  When I flew the Citabria it was like driving a Miata.  I felt connected to the Air and Airplane.  I learned what my feet were for.