Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

PrecipitFX

So the ASN issues are fixed? This product looks amazing, and for such a low price too. However in the advertising it says no performance loss, and then there's people on here saying a 10-15% decrease in frames? That certainly doesn't make me feel any more comfortable about buying it.

Also if you are talking about how it affects performance on your system, it would be helpful to know what your system is, what simultaneous add-ons you have running and what frames you got before and after installing this, otherwise there's really no way for the information to be useful. I really want to get this. But I don't want to regret getting it. And I definitely don't want to impulse buy it just because it's cheap.

Anyone tried this with PMDG's NGX and if so, how does it perform both looking at the individual effects as well as the performance?

Richard Åsberg

Anyone tried this with PMDG's NGX and if so, how does it perform both looking at the individual effects as well as the performance?

+1

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Hello,

can anyone of the precipitFX users say something about the performance without using the contrails and wing vortices? I only read of some people having fps issues with the contrails, but never about issues with the new snow or rain textures. I'm not interested in the contrails or vortices, I would buy precipitFX just for the new snow and rain textures and precipitation effects. So can I expect to have no fps loss if I disable the contrails and wing vortices? 

best regards, Mathias

Hello,

can anyone of the precipitFX users say something about the performance without using the contrails and wing vortices? I only read of some people having fps issues with the contrails, but never about issues with the new snow or rain textures. I'm not interested in the contrails or vortices, I would buy precipitFX just for the new snow and rain textures and precipitation effects. So can I expect to have no fps loss if I disable the contrails and wing vortices? 

There is no fps loss with any of these effects

Rich Sennett

in P3D or FSX ????

Thanks Rich

Welcome - pretty cool program wishing for a complete P3D version 

Rich Sennett

Thanks Richard, but why are there so many reports of fps loss with the contrails then?

Maybe it's just because of ancient FSX... I also see no fps impact in P3D v2.4.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Hello from Germany :)

I'am using FSX in DX10 mode and Steve's DX10 fixer. Coverting all effects results in frame rate loss, especially with contrails. But that's the same with every "particle" effect, e.g. smoke. I will do some tests what effect can be excluded from conversion to save frames and having a visual attractive appearance the same time.

My today's question is: when starting the program, i sometimes get notification, that there is a newer version. But on the Homepage the last new version is the One with P3D support. Would it be possible to tell something about the recent minor updates? Or is ist really just some internal code adjustement?

I hope i will get your great program in harmony with my FSX and my not so high end PC :)

Greetings

Matthias

Hello from Germany :)

I'am using FSX in DX10 mode and Steve's DX10 fixer. Coverting all effects results in frame rate loss, especially with contrails. But that's the same with every "particle" effect, e.g. smoke. I will do some tests what effect can be excluded from conversion to save frames and having a visual attractive appearance the same time.

My today's question is: when starting the program, i sometimes get notification, that there is a newer version. But on the Homepage the last new version is the One with P3D support. Would it be possible to tell something about the recent minor updates? Or is ist really just some internal code adjustement?

I hope i will get your great program in harmony with my FSX and my not so high end PC :)

Greetings

Matthias

Lately, we did release updates to the install utility. No changes to the content of the add-on since the 1.2 release. We're reading all the feedback you guys are giving. We'll consider them in future updates. It's good to have a reaction like that, it allows us to innovate and find ways to optimize these areas.

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Thank you very much for your explanation!

Today i did some tests. Please note that i run FSX in DX10 mode with the scenery fixer, and as you mention on your homepage, precipitFX was not programmed to be used with DX10 mode originally!

The question was, which effect can be used with or without conversion, and which effect has the biggest performance impact.

Precipitation, rain and snow: must be converted, otherwise you will see flickering or simple no effect from certrain viewing angles. The performance loss is minimal.

Vortices: on my system, i excluded them from beeing converted. It seems to be a "particle" effect, so conversion does have an impact on performance. Leaving them unconverted results in a slightly pale appearance, they are not as "White" as with conversion. But i can live with that.

Contrails: Oh my god :blink: Running in DX10 mode with SparseGridSupersampling on, contrails are not usable. Especially with a lot of AI showing contrail effects or with modifying effect time for displaying longer contrails on a blue winter sky. Converting the effect with DX10 SceneryFixer makes it even worse. Flying with the standard effect time and beeing the only one in the sky, the contrails are just a WOW. I guess, that P3D handles volumetric effects in another way, so people using P3D do not see any performance impact.

I'm not sure at all, but i was of the opinion, that the first seconds when showing contrails, there is no performance loss. For the first time the longer contrail tail is developing, the frame rate starts decreasing. Perhaps there are two different textures, one for the contrail behind the engines, and one more volumetric for the contrail tail? Perhaps it's just the second texture making some Kind of trouble?

Ok, that's my testing result. I hope, you will go on in working on your fantastic effects!

Greetings

Matthias

Finally gave in to the eye candy and got it. Running DX10, no effects fix or anything, and it works great. You guys are gonna think I'm crazy but I actually think it improves the fps on the ground. FSX has crap default effects for planes as they taxi, huge plumes of snow or rain coming up like rooster tails even when you go slow. It can cause stuttering for me and looks silly. This not only looks better, but I think it smoothed out taxiing a bit for me and I was seeing really good frame rates.

As for contrails, I was very paranoid about them and tested it out on the NGX in cruise and saw no noticeable performance hit. Could still hit 30fps in cruise VC and 50+fps external. Contrails don't appear below ~20,000ft so it won't be an issue on final and I couldn't tell when they turned off so that tells me they weren't draining much performance when on. 

I am a finicky pain when it comes to performance and subtly of effects, and I'm impressed on both fronts. Even works in replay, which I believe they said wouldn't (though that might be the 777 pack). I feel it's an excellent product well worth the low $12 USD price. The price of 777 Immerson is a little too high for me though, considering that PrecipitFX works on all planes and imo comes with most of the nice effects. 

I, too, installed and run PrecipitFX (with ASN) under DX-10 without Steve's fixes. Very happy with the results overall.

Had the problem with contrails showing only a certain angles, but unchecking the Exclude Particle Effects in Steve's Fixer solved the problem.

Not sure what's going on here; the props don't seem to create any prop blast on takeoff:

fsx%2B2015-02-02%2B07-18-51-66.jpg

This CaptainSim C-130 doesn't produce contrails either, all though the A2A B17 produces very nice ones with no frame rate impact.

fsx%2B2015-02-01%2B17-52-44-32.jpg