Sign in to follow this  
Ebs

FSX Steam Released! (80% off sale?)

4. It's 5 bucks. You really can't miss. It's not buying your old FSX again, it's investing in a company, and showing support to the community, and hell, it's sending the message that we sim folk are quite alive and well, and ready to embrace a next-generation of flight simulation. The power is in our hands right now, I did my part to support!

In my opinion, this is a biggie.

Think about it. FSX is an 8 year old piece of software that has been a "Top-seller" on Steam since yesterday. TOP SELLER among REALLY popular games. TOP SELLER!

Microsoft is probably thinking that they should have just done the work themselves...

Microsoft is probably thinking that they should have just done the work themselves...

They did...................8-10 years ago!!

Let's watch sales at the regular price!

They did...................8-10 years ago!!

Let's watch sales at the regular price!

There are a lot of popular games at around the same price. It topped the lot , That says it should do as well or at least as well as the others at full price. Its just math

ZORAN

I think he means "repair work". I am certainly glad that some 25-30 years ago, MS acquired and really brought out a great flight sim product. However, to later abandon it, then sell off its components to some 3rd party folks, and then watch it explode back to life on release day must be a real eye-bruiser: meaning, someone in the big corner office at MS will tell his colleagues that Steam sells it for $5, and that's why it did so well, while thinking in the back of his mind, "would it have been so hard or expensive to just fix it?"

The way I see it, this gem of a product does belong in the hands of someone willing and inspired to maintain it, develop it, grow it, and make it what it was in its prime. For pete's sake, there were TV commercials for it. That has to be some kind of first, right?

If having it now for $5 only gives me a credit for the next release, or even nothing at all, then so be it. We've all been struggling to keep this thing alive for 8 years now, while hoping for something new, right? Now we have it. I hope these guys at Dovetail really keep themselves in a "good guy" role by working with the developers we have all come to know and trust over the years. Afterall, quality addons are some of the best reasons to have FS in the first place.

I think "regular priced" sales will do just fine. Remember, FSX was $69.99 on release day, for "deluxe", and $30 for Accel x-pack, and I bought both on release day. I think that for the passion we all have for this thing, cost is to a point, irrelevant. I'm excited for this newest of chapters in the story of our hobby/passion, and am glad to see it take off again!

One thing that confuses me - it's well known that installing FSX in Program Files can cause problems with addons, because of the some security/write protection mumbo jumbo related to Program Files system folder. So FSX:SE will install exactly in Program Files/Steam and from the start it's practically calling for trouble. 

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

One thing that confuses me - it's well known that installing FSX in Program Files can cause problems with addons, because of the some security/write protection mumbo jumbo related to Program Files system folder. So FSX:SE will install exactly in Program Files/Steam and from the start it's practically calling for trouble. 

I have E:/Steam

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

There is only 12 hours and ten minutes left at the $5.00 price jump-on....

Then....it's back to almost ten times that coin....

"Oh...decisions, decisions....oh my.....tisk, tisk..."

Santa's Clock on the workshop wall is so LOUD....with the sound of;   tick tock....tick tock,   ....tick.......................tock......

B)

B)

I just bought it and added it to my inventory. I suggest everyone else who is still on the fence to do so too, since the sale ends in 12 hours now.

I will wait for this "release storm"/hype to pass so that everyone settles down and we get some official comments on addon compatibility. Until then, I will continue to use boxed version.

Edited by linux731

Hello everyone, I'm new here :) 

I just purchased FSX:SE last night however I haven't installed it as it's a backup like most of you are doing. 

I have a question regarding VAC ban. 

Won't installing external DLL's or exe's get you banned? 

I ask of this becuase I use a lot of custom content.. 

another question is that I'm part of Qatar Airways Virtual. 

Now in order to send PIREP's info and stuff like that QAV uses the XACARS system or SmartCARS as it's known. 

XACARS/SmartCARS hooks itself to FSX and gathers info about Altitude, speed etc. 

As far as i know, VAC will ban anything that hooks on to steam games and such. 

So if I use XACARS/SmartCARS will it get me banned? Since it's an external programe that latches on to FSX? 

Thank you! 

AJ

Santa's Clock on the workshop wall is so LOUD....with the sound of;   tick tock....tick tock,   ....tick.......................tock......

B)

It all reminds me of the old Jewish joke/story where the Jewish guy gets approached and offered an Elephant real cheap. The Jewish guy firmly lectures the seller about how silly it would be to buy an elephant ,,what would he do with an elephant ? so the seller says I will give you 2 for the price of one and the buyer says ,now your talking, done deal!

Even though I bought it I Kinda feel like the Jewish guy LOL

ZORAN

Hello everyone, I'm new here :) 

I just purchased FSX:SE last night however I haven't installed it as it's a backup like most of you are doing. 

I have a question regarding VAC ban. 

Won't installing external DLL's or exe's get you banned? 

I ask of this becuase I use a lot of custom content.. 

another question is that I'm part of Qatar Airways Virtual. 

Now in order to send PIREP's info and stuff like that QAV uses the XACARS system or SmartCARS as it's known. 

XACARS/SmartCARS hooks itself to FSX and gathers info about Altitude, speed etc. 

As far as i know, VAC will ban anything that hooks on to steam games and such. 

So if I use XACARS/SmartCARS will it get me banned? Since it's an external programe that latches on to FSX? 

Thank you! 

AJ

No.

As long as an installer for any addon doesn't mess with files for a VAC-enabled game, there should be no problem at all.

I mod my GTA 4 (which I have on Steam) all the time with no problems. 

It was worth five dollars to me to make a point we're still alive as a community, and were willing to spend money. The sale was aimed very clearly at us, who have lambasted and criticized them from the first press release. They opened a small window so those in the know would have an opportunity to get in cheap at the ground level. It was an act of good faith. My purchase was an act of good faith as well. But both us and dtg know it's meaningless in the long run if we don't actually use the sim and fully adopt it. I won't even install it yet, at least not until they get 100% of the addons working. Not gonna compromise on unrealistic weather, default GPS and PMDG planes. And to be honest, I would have rather paid 30 for a fully compatible sim.

No.

As long as an installer for any addon doesn't mess with files for a VAC-enabled game, there should be no problem at all.

I mod my GTA 4 (which I have on Steam) all the time with no problems. 

Yeah I mod CS:S and CS:GO too, it's just that I've never had a external programe hook itself to steam games, and from what I hear that will get you banned. 

Which Is what I want to avoid the most. 

Say if there is support for  FSUIPC for the steam version, can external programes connect to that and not get users banned? for whatever programe they use? 

B)

Regular price would be $24.99 so it's only almost 5 times higher, but we get your point!!:lol:

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Will FSX finally utilize all 4 cores thats the only thing holding me back with this game.

It won't and will never do as it is not a 64 bit application. When they designed FSX the duo core CPU's were just introduced and not even for the consumer market due to their high price.

The only simulator that does use all system specs is X plane 10

Maarten Otto

19.jpg