Sign in to follow this  
~Craig~

Citation II S550 - The (potential) bugs thread

I am seeing an issue where the AC won't stay stable in altitude at cruise.  Was at default weights, trying to cruise at FL320, and it kept swinging up and down 200 to 300', with rates going up at down up to 1000fpm, and it never settled in.   Did not see this previously, have not had it in other AC before . . .

That's because their poor performance I got some mods for the engine (shared by a friend of mine who has a friend who is a S550 captain) and it flies far better at altitude!, but this mods are for some ppl "unrealistic", because the power increases a lot and how the real aircraft should be, but I prefer using that mods and it now flies like the real aircraft (being unrealistic for some), than continue struggling to get well above and the real aircraft gets up with no prob even at FL400

Ditto as Joe except I had the FMS driving the altitude and assumed it was an FMS error.

(Copy of Bert's post #104 above did not appear here)

Hi Bert -- and this same gauge (standby altimeter) does not show the ten-thousands digit above 39999 feet. Shows a zero in that place when you roll it over to 40,000 feet.

Just another buggie. :rolleyes:

Hi Bert -- and this same gauge (standby altimeter) does not show the ten-thousands digit above 39999 feet. Shows a zero in that place when you roll it over to 40,000 feet.

Just another buggie. :rolleyes:

That one, is actually pretty much "by design"..  If you look at the gauges_1.dds bitmap in the Texture.Common folder, you will see that the tape goes 1-2-3-0,   so yes, 40,000 becomes 00,000  ^_^

Bert

Ditto as Joe except I had the FMS driving the altitude and assumed it was an FMS error.

In fact I was going to butt in and ask Joe if this was while using the FMS.  While I don't have this aircraft and I don't know how Carenado have coded the FMC,  I had similar behaviour with a VNAV gauge I once tried to write.  "VS=0" is not the same as "ALT HOLD" and calculating a VS based on the altitude of the next waypoint leads to this kind of oscillation when the next waypoint is at the same altitude as the previous one and quite far away.

What happens is that when the gauge calculates VS=0 the aircraft drifts up (or down) until the calculated VS to the next waypoint is 100ft/min, the lowest value the autopilot will take. While this is insignificant on a dense route with closely spaced waypoints, if the next waypoint is far away this can be quite a height.

Does the C500 do this with the MFD from ISG installed?  And if so, is there another freeware or pay ware autopilot that can be installed?  With bug fixes well under way its such a nice airplane, could be a fav for many once the plethora of wrinkles (we're talking Shar-pei here) are ironed out.  

In fact I was going to butt in and ask Joe if this was while using the FMS.

Actually it was on and programmed, I am using Bert's great mods, but, was keeping the FMS in place as "eye candy as well.  I was also using ASN.

Last night I went back briefly by re-starting the flight, w/o turning on the FMS and it held steady.  When I re-started ASN there was some turbulence in the area, and even then it held very well with moderate bouncing around, but, no large oscillations like yesterday.

Joe Lorenc

Actually it was on and programmed, I am using Bert's great mods, but, was keeping the FMS in place as "eye candy as well.  I was also using ASN.

Last night I went back briefly by re-starting the flight, w/o turning on the FMS and it held steady.  When I re-started ASN there was some turbulence in the area, and even then it held very well with moderate bouncing around, but, no large oscillations like yesterday.

Joe,

Thank you. That is what I have experienced as well. Using the FMS in NAV mode it is unable to maintain ALT correctly. The good news is you can select the FMS as a NAV source (on the MS-205 Flight Director Control Panel) press NAV/HSI so that it displays "GPS". You can then couple the Flight Director to the Lateral Nav source out of the FMS by selecting "NAV" on the Flight Director (Do not select NAV on the UNS-1L FMS.) You will then manage your altitude using the Altitude Selector and Flight Director.

Of course this means no VNAV out of the FMS. Then again the box is only going to give you direct climbs/descents, so its usefulness is questionable. The real box will give you TOD alerts and allows the pilot to select the correct FD mode. 

OK Bert --- I did not look at the DDS file on the tape, but that does seem odd. Have never seen that on a RW instrument before but you just never know --- :lol:

Thanks for the heads up!!!  :Big Grin:

Guest BeaverDriver

That one, is actually pretty much "by design"..  If you look at the gauges_1.dds bitmap in the Texture.Common folder, you will see that the tape goes 1-2-3-0,   so yes, 40,000 becomes 00,000  ^_^

Sadly then, and incorrect design. Any altimeter in that machine would have to be rated for 50,000 ft (35,000 is the next lowest, but is below the service ceiling of this aircraft). Another bug.

Looked at all the conversation ab out all the bugs with this aircraft and what was fixed.  I have read the forum and seen all the addons and MODs all you knowledgeable guys have done.  I am kind of an out of the box type guy and don't have the ability or knowledge to make MODs. I really like the Citation.  Have an Eaglesoft Citation I had in FS9 and FSX.  Not the quality of Carenado's however.  I am having a hard time with $45 for the Aircraft and $40 -$50 for GNS 750 just to make it a flyable aircraft.  I do fly the B1900 and PC12 all around the U.S. and enjoy them very much.  

Anybody got any thoughts on buying the Citation?

Dick 

If you like the B1900 and PC12, I believe you will like the Citation also.

The GTN750 is worth the money, since you can use it in multiple aircraft,

and it is a fabulous piece of avionics gear.

I have it in the Turbine Duke V2, and in the a2a C182, as well as the Citation.

If you do get the Citation, PM me and I'll send you a current set of mods that will help.

Bert

Thanks Bert.  I am using all your MODs for the PC12.  Works great. I could take the GNS530 out of the PC12 and B1900 and install the GTN750 and I am sure it would make flying them much better for sure.  If I get the Citation I will PM for MODs.  Thanks much

Dick

Thanks Bert.  I am using all your MODs for the PC12.  Works great. I could take the GNS530 out of the PC12 and B1900 and install the GTN750 and I am sure it would make flying them much better for sure.  If I get the Citation I will PM for MODs.  Thanks much

Dick

Not so quick... leave the GNS530 in those planes, the GTN will not fit  :unsure:

Bert