Sign in to follow this  
PC Pilot Dave

Are people making the switch to FSX Steam?

Pete, if my scenery.cfg is the opposite (full pathnames caused problems in Scenery Config Editor so I removed all the ones I found--there weren't many to begin with in any case....), is there an easy way to put them back in that you're aware of

What I did is this. You need a text editor which has a search and replace facility. I use Ultraedit, but I'm sure there are freeware editors around as well. Not sure if Notepad does it.

1. Search for "Local=" and replace by "Local=E:\FSX\" (replace E:\FSX by your own FSX path).

2. If you definitely did not have any full paths in there beforehand, that's it, you're done. But in my case some sceneries were already set with paths on another drive and some on the same drive but outside of FSX. So (and these are specifci to my set up, of course)...

3. Search for "Local=E:\FSX\E:\" and replace by "Local=E:\"

That corrects those on the same drive but outside FSX, and

4. Search for "Local=E:\FSX\D:\" and replace by "Local=D:\"

That corrects those on my other drive.

Also, have you ever used Scenery Config Editor by any chance? It's been very useful but I wonder if it's even possible to use it with full pathnames.

I've got it but I've never used it. I don't know why they'd not support full paths, after all FS does. 

FS also supports full paths for SimObjects (in the FSX.CFG file), so you can point the aircraft and traffic for FSX-SE to the FSX installs instead.

Are you using a side-by-side installation or did you uninstall FSX and move over copies of its files to a new "clean" installation?

Side-by-side. Because I develop FSUIPC I need to be able to do tests with P3D, FSX and FSX-SE, both on my development PC and on my fully-added-to cockpit system. I needed both side-by-side and 'clean' FSX-SE install, so it's side-by-side on my cockpit system and 'clean' on my development system -- after all, I don't really need to deal with FSX so much as it isn't changing, unlike P3D and FSX-SE.

So: development system has clean original FSX-SE without all this messing, only FSUIPC installed, whilst the cockpit has everything -- except add-on aircraft, which I don't use (except for the cockpit-less Prosim737).

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

I've learned not to focus on things like what DX the sim is running - they change faster than Mickey Rooney changed wives

LOL !!! Now i will go to youtube and watch a Dean Martin Comedy Roast. Very Nice !! 

I enjoyed your post as a whole. My first flight sim was in the early 1980's on my Commodore 64 - it was a wire-framed simulator running on an 8-bit system with slide-show frame rates. And at the time, I thought it was FANTASTIC! When showing it to a friend who was a pilot, I kept telling him "Look! You can see the outline of the mountains in So. Cal. - it's like you're really flying!".

So I've already "dialed-back" my expectations, and feel FSX with the wonderful add-ons is a marvel - especially on three monitors! Over the years, I've learned not to focus on things like what DX the sim is running - they change faster than Mickey Rooney changed wives (this probably dates me). Instead, I enjoy the moment, and am extremely grateful to people like Pete Dowson and all the vendors who have added such joy to this hobby, (INCLUDING DoveTail)!

Well I'm a rank newbie by comparison. Only been at this a few years. You certainly have it figured out. We do have to be flexible until such time as hardware, addons and simulator are synchronized. I think this will happen. When it does, it will be something else. I remember Mickey Rooney, Procol Harem and the hoola hoop. I don't think we fully understand the extent of Dowson's contribution to our hobby. Apart from his cornerstone application, I can imagine his talent, knowledge and experience are sought out by many.

Actually that was just a Beta version that hasn't gone live yet, and has since been pulled. They said they may have another Beta on Thursday (just past), but has since postponed that til April. 

I must have imagined the 57+ MB download and upgrade process the other day then...

Oh look! My dev machine's copy of FSX:SE is installing that same 57+MB update too!

I have no idea then just what was in this update. I'd simply assumed it was the latest patch update... :ph34r:

I guess wishing they'd publish a "Change Log" would be too much to hope for. :rolleyes:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

of course their's both a supply and demand side to the market.

The point I'm making is that it's the  buyer (through the market) who decides the price paid - not the developer. Some posters don't seem able to accept that.

Really?

I own a small fabricating and manufacturing business employing 32 people. I sell many products and services and it is I who sets the price. If I charged what my customers would like to pay I'd be closing the doors within the month.

I'm also one of the most expensive places in town but most of my customers feel the difference in quality is worth the difference in cost and there is a big difference.

I also believe in paying a living wage and only full time employee's, non of this part time crap.

Your everday general public Joe Smoe buyer doesn't decide the price of squat, you just need to look at the price of a burger in your local fast food outlet to realize that.

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

I own a small fabricating and manufacturing business employing 32 people. I sell many products and services and it is I who sets the price. If I charged what my customers would like to pay I'd be closing the doors within the month.

Like everything in life, there are two sides to this subject. It is not a binary solution set.

While it is certainly true that the seller can set a price for his/her service such that a reasonable profit may be made, the consumer likewise has an affect on the actual, final price...

...as long as the goods or services are not a strict monopoly or otherwise regulated of course.

Fr. Bill    

Really?

if you doubled your prices relative to your competitors  what do you expect your customers  would do - still pay?

if you doubled your prices relative to your competitors  what do you expect your customers  would do - still pay?

You think it would be pretty obvious what would happen. This is actually a reality for me in certain cases.

"China"

Part of my business is Tool & Die. We specialize in progressive stamping and forming dies. We also run product. In cases where I also get to run the product, I will quote tooling at my cost, because I will do well with the production. At my cost, tooling from china has come in at 1/3 my price. Some customers only care about cost and will automaticly go the China route. Other customers understand the difference in labor cost's and chose to support their local economy.

Back in the 80's we had 12 Tool Makers in the shop, now we have 2 and one apprentice. In the last two years I have actually picked up a couple nice contracts from a couple well known "building supply" corporations who decided it would be good for their public image to have "Made in Canada" on the box.

I hope this trend continues.

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

You think it would be pretty obvious what would happen. This is actually a reality for me in certain cases.

As I suspected, although it's you  who apparently "sets the price" , but that's based to on what your customers  are prepared to pay.

I must have imagined the 57+ MB download and upgrade process the other day then...

Oh look! My dev machine's copy of FSX:SE is installing that same 57+MB update too!

I have no idea then just what was in this update. I'd simply assumed it was the latest patch update... :ph34r:

The current private Beta release is small,, just a few Mb as I recall. The larger updates you get regularly (about once a week it appears), when starting Steam, are to the Steam application's contents -- probably its adverts, lists and so on. Maybe the program too sometimes, I don't know.

If you had subscribed to the Open Beta, 62610, then when that was withdrawn you'd have seen a "downdate" back to 62608, not an update. You can always tell the current version you have installed -- the number is shown bottom right on the loading splash image. 

I guess wishing they'd publish a "Change Log" would be too much to hope for.  :rolleyes:

I think they do that when they make a release. They did for the initial release, 62607, and the only proper released update since, 62608. I expect they will when the next one is released -- could be up to 62613 or 62614 by then! ;-)

Regards

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Thanks, Pete. I chose not to take part in the beta since it would interfere with my own dev work. It would be doubly difficult to tell if any problem was mine, or something "they" broke... :LMAO:

Fr. Bill    

As I suspected, although it's you  who apparently "sets the price" , but that's based to on what your customers  are prepared to pay.

Prices are based on what the market will bare.

If you would like to see what happens when the buyers set the prices.... just go to an auction.

edit: My prices are based on me making 10-15% profit from sales at the end of the day. What the customer is willing to pay doesn't normally factor into it too much. How competitive you get with those percentages is influenced by your competition rather than your customers. 

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

I guess wishing they'd publish a "Change Log" would be too much to hope for. :rolleyes:

What version are you running? If you are running V10.0.62608.0 then you are running the current live version, 62610.0 was the Beta that was pulled, and I'm not aware of any other Beta available. Also if you are running the Beta, and have the PMDG T7 or the Aerosoft A3xxx series, then those won't function, as the Beta broke them.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

If you would like to see what happens when the buyers set the prices.... just go to an auction.

At auction the actual buyer and seller are are both satisfied -  especially with with a reserve price .