Sign in to follow this  
PC Pilot Dave

Are people making the switch to FSX Steam?

Right now that battle for the future of flight simulation is taking place. It is up for grabs. I know P3D is looking better but I am not going to jump ship from FSX until Steam or P3D is running a 64 bit platform. I have thousands invested in FSX. I will not spend a dime on another version until that time. If Lockheed Martin is Smart they would contract a gaming version of P3D. This is a small market and survival depends on attracting the Novice as well as the advanced virtual flyer. 

Could be a long wait.... It has been a long wait!!!

LM is not interested in entering the game software business.

Thanks for the read folks. I'm buying 3 copies on sale through steam (STEAM is one of my favorite things to begin with so this is great) so I can put it on my 2 boys computers too. Finally no more disks, plus some performance boost. Thats a win. Happy flying, keep the dirty side down.

Can just buy once for all your computers.

Exactly. No benefit in buying three copies. In fact, you can't buy three copies unless you logged in to three different Steam accounts. To them...it's all one copy. It can be installed on umpteen different computers if he wants all under the same account. Unless he's wanting to play multiple copies at once, and I'm not sure why you'd do that, he should be fine with plopping down the $5 and going on his merry way.

But you can only use it on one at a time.

Pete

Unless he's wanting to play multiple copies at once, and I'm not sure why you'd do that

But he says "I can put it on my 2 boys computers too.", so I assume it is so his 2 boys can fly as well!

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

They weren't reaching out at all. What they were doing was "contacting" addon developers with a view to offering them derisory cuts for stuff DTG wanted to control which they did precisely nothing to produce but wanted the maximum profit from.

Add-on developers don't have a divine right to the revenue to which they have become accustomed. They have to earn what someone else is prepared to pay.

Well I'm certainly not seeing the boosts reported on P3D, but I have read posts (Not on AVSIM, and a youtube video that claims it works on FSX. What I'm seeing withe NGX with static weather no traffic, about a 2-3FPS boost. As I say I don't have a strong system. but with no traffic I can get 17-18 in the cockpit, sitting on the runway of KSFO, without this tweak. With it and no other changes though, I get 19-21. Not a big boost but with my system I'll take anything I can get.. FPS are taken from FRAPS over a period of time.

Just tried the tweak. Can't confirm any kind of improvement.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Add-on developers don't have a divine right to the revenue to which they have become accustomed. They have to earn what someone else is prepared to pay.

That is a remarkably silly comment Gerry.

Would you be willing to accept an 80% pay cut from your employer, yet be required to provide the same number of hours of work and the same level of productivity?

Or to make the situation more on point, how long would the company you work for remain in business were they forced to lower their gross revenue to 20% (or less)? They'd still have the same fixed expenses after all!

Just tried the tweak. Can't confirm any kind of improvement.

Was there ever any chance it would? This 'tweak' is something L-M added to the sim, not some previously undiscovered feature. :lol:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I wont but it simply because.

1. I have too much money invested in FSX $3000 or so.

2. I dont want some other dodgy process running in the background just to run FSX. If they sold FSX standalone without the Steam requirement i would get it. Mind you only time FSX crashes is usually because of something I did.

3. It really doesnt have that much to offer.

4. Havnt reinstalled FSX in over 5 years ont want to do it all again.

5. I run FSX in DX10 and dont really have any issues.

some intelligent people who think with critical faculties switched on can see a little bit beyond whether some cheap piece of software runs better than the last piece of software. They actually do factor in the behaviour of who they are dealing with.

The above statement is why I would never, ever purchase P3D.

The above statement is why I would never, ever purchase P3D.

I nominate the above as the "Non-sequitur of the Year..."

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

2. I dont want some other dodgy process running in the background just to run FSX. If they sold FSX standalone without the Steam requirement i would get it. Mind you only time FSX crashes is usually because of something I did.

I'll disagree with this. 

1) Steam is practically invisible as far as resources go. You won't see more performance from a stand-alone version.

2) The Steam overlay you can pull up is actually extremely useful. Whether you are surfing the web on a long flight, looking up approach charts, checking upcoming weather (assuming you use real weather programs), or going to skyvector to view a sectional. 

That is a remarkably silly comment Gerry.

Would you be willing to accept an 80% pay cut from your employer, yet be required to provide the same number of hours of work and the same level of productivity?

Or to make the situation more on point, how long would the company you work for remain in business were they forced to lower their gross revenue to 20% (or less)? They'd still have the same fixed expenses after all!

It's a statement of what happens in reality.

If I was offered a 80% cut I'd find another employer, and i'd expect my employer to go out of business.

In the real world for example, some 1000 dairy farmers in the UK have shut down in the last year and forced to sell their cattle because their costs were higher than someone else is prepared to pay.