Sign in to follow this  
PC Pilot Dave

Are people making the switch to FSX Steam?

Hi all,

I know I'm a tad late to the party, but I was just wondering if people have been making the switch to FSX Steam? I've been considering it, since multiplayer features have been re-enabled and I understand that it will receive updates from Dovetail. I was just curious if anyone ran into any problems when making the switch from the boxed version to the Steam version of FSX? Does FSX Steam require the same modifications to be made (I've made a few simple changes to the config file)?

Also has anyone had any problems with their add-ons? I mostly use ORBX, REX, and Carenado, but am curious if, in general, the add-ons still seem to work well.

As always, I sincerely appreciate your feedback. Thank you very much! 

I know I'm a tad late to the party, but I was just wondering if people have been making the switch to FSX Steam?

Yes, I have. For me it is much faster and smoother, and at last enables me to push up the sliders and get better results than ever before with FSX. Now that all the main add-ons I need are working with it, it's a no-brainer.

But bear in mind, I use no complex add-on aircraft -- my aircraft is fixed as a 737-800 by virtue of a hardware cockpit, and all the gauges and indicators are driven by ProSim, external to FS.

Does FSX Steam require the same modifications to be made (I've made a few simple changes to the config file)?

I just used the same FSX.CFG file for FSX-SE, so it has the same modifications I was using before. As for "needing" them, I don't think any version of FS "needs" configuration modifications. It's one of those intangibles which each user has to deal with for his own specific system.

Also has anyone had any problems with their add-ons? I mostly use ORBX, REX, and Carenado, but am curious if, in general, the add-ons still seem to work well.

In general, yes, they should work well.  If you already have FSX installed and don't uninstall it AND get rid of all traces of it, then FSX-SE will install in a dual-with-FSX mode, and so use different folders and some different filenames (like FSX_SE.CFG in place of FSX.CFG.  This can mess up Installers unless they've already been updated to cope.

But if you install FSX-SE on a pristine, completely FSX-free, PC, then it looks just like FSX to most add-on installers.

The only ones which may trip up after installation are those which interface internally into parts of FSX (like FSUIPC and ASN, which have both been updated for this, and some PMDG aircraft too). There may be some add-ons which fall over just because they don't recognise the version numbers (FSX-SE builds are 62607 to 62610, the last being an Open Beta, and with 62611 just around the corner -- though that may be 62612 by the time it is released).

Anyway, there are several threads here which will help you work things out and check your own add-on compatibility.

Regards

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

There are quite a few people who have a brain who do not make every decision based on no-brainer principles.

Is that meant to be an insult, Robert? I can't work that one out.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Yeah. All my addons work, it runs well, and they've ironed out the terrain.dll crashes, so it was an easy decision to switch.

Add me to the party! With Steve's DX10 fixer now providing VC shadows, the improved VAS handling and at $4.95 from the initial sale. As Peter said, it was a no brainer for me. I still have FSX installed, if I want to run something that still isn't compatible, but those are becoming fewer and fewer everyday. There is an unresolved issue with the last Steam Beta, and compatibility with the PMDG T7. and Aerosoft A3XXX, and how and when that will be handled, but that update is not live yet, and I think I have a way to prevent it, until I want it, so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Other than that I'm very happy with FSX Steam, and don't see anything that would justify the leap to the more costly P3D at this point. Both now manage VAS equally well, and are built on modern compilers. 

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Most probably I would test the SE if I ever had to reinstall FSX. (I make "clone" backups of my FSX installation on a regular basis, so the risk of a reinstall looks rather small to me.)

No interest in parallel SE/MS installations right now.

EDIT:

Oh, and I'm pretty sure Pete used his brain in order to deduce his no-brainer decision.   B)

Edited by olli4740

Not been following the SE version, but how is it different to the SP2 version? are dovetail now making further service pack type updates to the engine?

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

AME GE90, GP7200 CFM56 

Absolutly no interest for me !

Regards,

Richard Portier

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

Are people making the switch to FSX Steam?

I have, and  I for one find it way smoother than the boxed edition. If I were you, I would only take feedbacks ( negatively or positively) from people that have tried it.

Is that meant to be an insult, Robert? I can't work that one out.

Pete

Not at all Pete. I meant that just because something works for one person does not make it an automatic no-brainer for someone else.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page