Sign in to follow this  
PC Pilot Dave

Are people making the switch to FSX Steam?

I have Steam already (haven't used it much though). Can I install FSX in it's own directory outside of where my other Steam games are installed? I currently have FSX and it's add-ons installed on their own dedicated SSD and would like to keep this configuration if possible.

Correct I have it at 0.2 because I don't like the penalties with 0.01 and as you said it makes no sense to go that low.

as for AA DSR could be an option. shadow size could be made smaller in the config file.

AA (MSAA isn't applied on clouds so performance gain, but as soon you throw SS grid sampling to the party it will go downhill fast with more cloud layers .

I have both 512 size and higher quality of the shadow map.

Correct about the pan response (always my main test local) and frame rate, what I found on my system what

makes it smooth is:

- lock FPS external at 35

- unlimited FPS in the gui

- VSYNC off...

AA is the weak point I find personally in P3D (never found it great in FS either but it was and is better quality)

Yes all agreed. I have a fairly ancient system by current standards, but I've tweaked it to my liking and rarely get below 34 fps with a lot of detail/autogen and HDVe2 clouds running high res dxt3. Some aircraft are fine in DX10 too with shadows but others (Aerosoft airbus which is stella in Dx9 but can't cope with DX10) not so much. With a steady 34 fps in nearly all circumstances there is no reason for me to change to Steam's edition, quite apart from my disinclination to even modestly enrich either Steam or DTG, and I'm hoping, as Pete Dowson says, that P3d will gradually iron out the AA/shadows/ and not quite so good performance in the future.

I think you are the only other simmer I know who also relies more on the panning delay as a better yardstick than raw fps!

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

I have been on FSX-SE for a short while, but now on P3Dv2.5.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

I have Steam already (haven't used it much though). Can I install FSX in it's own directory outside of where my other Steam games are installed? I currently have FSX and it's add-ons installed on their own dedicated SSD and would like to keep this configuration if possible.

When you decide to download a game you can select which drive to place it in. Not sure about folders (is it a problem tho? As long as installers point to the right direction and FSX is installed on your SSD)

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

I'm back in after ten years out -- coming from FS9 -- since seeing FSX available on Steam. Many add-ons have been been added in short order bringing the visuals and aircraft systems detail up to snuff. I'm *very* happy with the performance of FSX:SE.

That said, an "offline" mode would be great as it won't start if there's no Internet access and can't contact Steam.

Also, a way to get the SDK without purchasing a boxed edition would be cherry. There's this one airport that's otherwise *just right* that has some blurry photoreal by the GA parking that just *has* to go!

Arthur Lewis

I won't be switching just yet.

The elimination of the terrain.dll crashes that I was getting with every flight is hugely encouraging but I am now worried the the next update might just be the first of many with ensuing confusion and non functioning addons.

Have they resolved the terrain.dll issue? Last I saw was that a beta version had been made available, and then withdrawn - was an update released?

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Also, a way to get the SDK without purchasing a boxed edition would be cherry. There's this one airport that's otherwise *just right* that has some blurry photoreal by the GA parking that just *has* to go!

It's been mentioned a time or ten-dozen that one may freely download the Prepar3Dv1.4 SDK in lieu of the FSX-Acceleration SDK.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Have they resolved the terrain.dll issue? Last I saw was that a beta version had been made available, and then withdrawn - was an update released?

Yes, the Beta (build 62610) did appear to resolve the known Terrain and G3D crashes (including those which were present in FSX all these years and the one previous trapped and fixed by FSUIPC).

There's another Beta in the offing, and they apologised for a mistake which unceremoniously yanked 62610 back. Last I saw they were hoping (no promises) to make the next Beta open to all tomorrow (Thursday) -- but no actual promises on that score.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Yes, the Beta (build 62610) did appear to resolve the known Terrain and G3D crashes (including those which were present in FSX all these years and the one previous trapped and fixed by FSUIPC).

There's another Beta in the offing, and they apologised for a mistake which unceremoniously yanked 62610 back. Last I saw they were hoping (no promises) to make the next Beta open to all tomorrow (Thursday) -- but no actual promises on that score.

Pete

Thanks Pete - I checked yesterday afternoon and saw no new update, thought I was losing it.....

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

It's been mentioned a time or ten-dozen that one may freely download the Prepar3Dv1.4 SDK in lieu of the FSX-Acceleration SDK.

Thanks! I did search, but obviously not well enough.

Arthur Lewis

one or two of the posters above are running default scenery and non pmdg aircraft and in those cases there is absolutely no reason to install FSX-SE

Oh okay, I guess I'll just go uninstall it then.

I run only a hand full of different aircraft addons (mostly GA) and a couple freeware/payware airports (no regions, etc), plus free realistic dawn/dusk sky textures. All scenery settings maxed out, nearly default FSX:SE is perfectly acceptable for me AND performs superbly. It's also very stable. Being able to easily fly online with randoms is practically reason alone to have it installed. The continued bug fixes and tweaks are another bonus.

Point is, there absolutely is a reason/are reasons to have SE installed even if you didn't spend thousands of dollars on addons. It's just whether or not those reasons are important to a particular person.

Brandon Filer

I have it, and also the beta that came out a few days ago..

But I still run FSX Gold most of the time so far.  To me, I can't tell much

difference overall.. I think the colors are slightly bolder in the SE version,

and they say it handles VAS better.. But I haven't seen a drastic difference

on this end. I can still bomb out SE about as fast as Gold.. But I'm still on a

32 bit OS. I have a feeling it really needs a 64 bit OS to take advantage of

the improved VAS handing..  And also some programs such as FS recorder

don't work in SE..

But I do have the 737NGX working fine in Steam.. ASN... I had trouble with

the SP2 beta.. Gave me trouble, and I finally got fed up and uninstalled

and went back to Gold and ASN SP1b...  I could probably get ASN to work in

SE, but I'm lazy and got tired of fussing with it.. Seemed to be simconnect

issues, etc.. ?? And I have all the legacy simconnects installed, etc..

I'll tinker more with it when I get bored enough..   :lol:

I could probably get ASN to work in

SE, but I'm lazy and got tired of fussing with it.. Seemed to be simconnect

issues, etc.. ?? And I have all the legacy simconnects installed, etc..

No, ASN needs updating for each new FSX-SE and P3D version because, like FSUIPC and several other add-ons, it has hooks and calls directly into the sim's code. Even when the module concerned is virtually identical, just a minor change and recompilation makes these things move around.

However, HiFi Simulations is pretty much on top of it all the time and will generally match a beta update of ASN to any Open Beta from DTG. The latest internal Beta isn't "open" yet. There were hopes for it today, but that's all they were -- hopes. ;-)

Pete

Really strongly thinking about making the switch with all the headaches that entails, but can someone please confirm that they're successfully flying long-haul tubeliner routes with FSX-SE and, e.g., the PMDG 777? Last time I was looking at switching people were saying there were always crashes (not OOMs) a few hours into a flight...

James

Really strongly thinking about making the switch with all the headaches that entails, but can someone please confirm that they're successfully flying long-haul tubeliner routes with FSX-SE and, e.g., the PMDG 777? Last time I was looking at switching people were saying there were always crashes (not OOMs) a few hours into a flight...

That was the TERRAIN.DLL problem, which is still present in the current release (build 62608), but is certainly fixed in the Beta 62610 (no longer available) and 62611 (not available). The next Beta (62612) is imminent and that has even more fixes.

If you don't want to run with Beta releases then you'd be best off waiting for the next regular release.

Pete