Sign in to follow this  
PC Pilot Dave

Are people making the switch to FSX Steam?

It's a statement of what happens in reality.

If I was offered a 80% cut I'd find another employer, and i'd expect my employer to go out of business.

In the real world for example, some 1000 dairy farmers in the UK have shut down in the last year and forced to sell their cattle because their costs were higher than someone else is prepared to pay.

Yes but what if the next employer, and the next, also offered the same cut? Not wanting to get into a complicated off topic discussion too much, but your black and white, discombobulated thinking on economics is rather naive, and possibly more right wing than Attilla the Hun! Supermarkets drove the price of milk down to below what it can be produced for by acting in concert as though they were the sole distributor, and therefore a technically monopoly supplier. In your dystopian, one-dimensional economic world everything is reduced to a market price. That would be fine if the market was diverse and truly open, or not manipulated by consortia of corporate entities.

Your theories are very close to what Wilhelm Reich called the "little-man" view of life, and are the precise reason why the US and UK banking systems collapsed and why the tax payers in those countries are now in a perpetual spiral of paying for the economic greed of enormously powerful corporations who used their good faith to screw billions out of the economy, and now everyone else will spend a decade paying it back, except of course the bankers themselves.

Perhaps a salient quote you might like to consider from "Little Man" is this:

• You let men in power assume power "for the Little Man". But you yourself remain silent. You give men in power or impotent people with evil intentions the power to represent you. Only too late do you realize that again and again you are being defrauded.

You might like to have a look outside your view of the economic world by doing a bit of reading. A good start would be this:

http://www.macrobasics.com/chapters/

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

2. I dont want some other dodgy process running in the background just to run FSX.

Steam is dodgy?  10's of millions of gamers would disagree with this statement.

It's not like the old days where you had to watch each and every TSR.

I heard that after your purchase FSX:SE, the Steam offers installation option only. Is this true? If I buy it, can I just download the files and save them on a disk for later use?

Thanks!

Regards,

Victor Quebec

Yes but what if the next employer, and the next, also offered the same cut?

Then the all the employers and whole business sector  will go down. It happened before and it will happen again.

Apart from your dislike  about "consortia of corporate entities", "the US and UK banking systems", "economic greed" ," screw billions out of the economy" etc etc, what's the real connection with flight sim developers?

Incidentally it's a good indication that the argument's lost when someone has to descend to insults.

Steam is dodgy?  10's of millions of gamers would disagree with this statement.

It's not like the old days where you had to watch each and every TSR.

Can you imagine what a field day a hacker would have if they got access to steam 10 million happy gamers PCs and free access to them all. Im very wary of anything I install, there are foo to many people in this world who will do anything to get your details and we happily provide tham all opportunitis to do so. It offers me no more than what I already have just another unnecessary progamme that i dont want.

Then the all the employers and whole business sector  will go down. It happened before and it will happen again.

Apart from your dislike  about "consortia of corporate entities", "the US and UK banking systems", "economic greed" ," screw billions out of the economy" etc etc, what's the real connection with flight sim developers?

Incidentally it's a good indication that the argument's lost when someone has to descend to insults.

I addressed your theories and comments and I'm arguing the subject. There is no insult in that. It was your posts that began diverting away to economic theories, not mine. Meanwhile here is a link to precisely what you refer to regarding milk, with a somewhat different take to that you assume, and as you can see the supermarket supply business is not the simplistic transaction you assume:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3015570/How-bully-boy-banks-supermarkets-conspire-rip-suppliers-delaying-payment-loans-t-wait-settlement.html

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Can you imagine what a field day a hacker would have if they got access to steam 10 million happy gamers PCs and free access to them all. Im very wary of anything I install, there are foo to many people in this world who will do anything to get your details and we happily provide tham all opportunitis to do so. It offers me no more than what I already have just another unnecessary progamme that i dont want.

You can activate the two step login, which involve a code sent to your phone. That means the "hacker" will also need to receive the code which is only sent to your phone. so yeah.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Meanwhile here is a link to precisely what you refer to regarding milk, with a somewhat different take to that you assume, and as you can see the supermarket supply business is not the simplistic transaction you assume:

It never has been simplistic in the UK. Dairy farmers are still going out of business yet there is no shortage of milk on the supermarket shelves. Anyway the Daily Mail article even doesn't mention milk.

The underlying reason is that the worldwide milk market dropped  and world  prices dropped from US$53.4 to US$33.0 /100 kg between December 2013 and December 2014. In effect the UK customers (through the supermarkets) are expected to pay the dairy industry for the products it hasn't been able to sell abroad.

Cue 'Oh, the Daily Mail, it must be lies then' responses. :rolleyes:

Not a great fan of the Mail myself, but they are quite good on some consumer issues.

It never has been simplistic in the UK. Dairy farmers are still going out of business yet there is no shortage of milk on the supermarket shelves. Anyway the Daily Mail article even doesn't mention milk.

The underlying reason is that the worldwide milk market dropped  and world  prices dropped from US$53.4 to US$33.0 /100 kg between December 2013 and December 2014. In effect the UK customers (through the supermarkets) are expected to pay the dairy industry for the products it hasn't been able to sell abroad.

What do you suggest then? That UK milk just ceases production? How about fresh air? Want to market that too and base that on a "market forces" price? There's no shortage of water either (UK) but looking at my water bill it doesn't make sense, or rather does because most commodities have become a gambling opportunity rather than priced upon need, availability or production. If that's the world you want then good luck. 

I heard that after your purchase FSX:SE, the Steam offers installation option only. Is this true? If I buy it, can I just download the files and save them on a disk for later use?

Thanks!

You hear wrong. Steam gives you an option to install immediately or wait after purchase.

...and no "FSRecorder". What else doesn't work? I have the Steam version ($5 couldn't go wrong), but I don't think I am going to install it. Trying to go forwards, not backwards. There is too many issues still with Steam. I also have no OOMs or CTDs with FSX-MS.

Reality XP gauges do not work.

Bert

just my two cents... why buy the same program... again.

A less capable one too boot (Compatibility with AC, no RXP).

But if you have money burning a hole in your pocket...

Reality XP gauges do not work.

Aside from the gns 430/530 INOP, GoFlight Modules, and The F1 Mustang do NOT work.

Simmer will also need an on-line connection to run FSX-Steam.

Those are my primary reasons for not switching.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

What do you suggest then? That UK milk just ceases production?

Of course not. Simply, those milk producers who can still sell at the market price will continue do so. Those milk producers (small /inefficent?) who can't  will go out of business.

That's how free markets work worldwide. It's the customer how decides how much it's prepared to may - not the producer. If, for example,  you decided to increase your add-on prices to PMDG's level what would be the effect on your sales?