Sign in to follow this  
PC Pilot Dave

Are people making the switch to FSX Steam?

Well said, Pete!

Far too many out there who regard themselves as experts & oracles!

Thanks for all your knowledge, experience & passion.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Nope - consider P3D instead... Looks a lot better.

Or consider XP10 both are solid, or just keep using FSX boxed

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I will probably take a look when/if the time comes for a FSX reinstall, but for now I am happy with my present MS DVD install.

One thing is for sure, it has to work 100% with my PMDG a/c.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Nope - consider P3D instead... Looks a lot better.

Or consider XP10 both are solid, or just keep using FSX boxed

Looks are a subjective view point, what looks good to you may not to others. For me from watching the Twitch streams and youtube videos of P3D, I don't see much difference between FSX and P3D visually. P3D's biggest feature advantage was VC shadows, and Cloud to Ground shadows. Of thise 2 only the latter remains. With FSX in DX10 mode now fully capable of producing VC shadows, every bit as good as P3D. Of course if you already have P3D there's no reason to even consider FSX-SE, but now that FSX-SE using modern compilers is much smoother, and manages VAS just as well and maybe even slightly better then P3D, for those that are considering a switch, does the features and eye candy that you get with P3D justify the $175 premium, not to mention the higher cost of addons, for essentially the same thing. vs what's now a $25.00 for FSX-SE. I got it for $5.00 so for me it's not. Ask yourself do you get any extra functionality in any of your addons in P3D vs the FSX equivalent? Or are they just ports? Maybe in the future there may be but right now they are the same as FSX/FSX-SE, so why are you paying 800% more for the privilege, plus a premium on some 3rd party addons?!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I recently upgraded my computer and was able to move up from FS9.  I had ordered the boxed version of FSX but while I was waiting for delivery, the Steam version was released.  I read everything I could on the forums, but the deciding factor was when Pete Dowson endorsed FSX-SE.  I have the unopened boxed version still in the shrink-wrap. Everything is working very well: Orbx, REX and PMDG.  I know there will be some work ahead with the soon-to-be-released FSX-SE updates and some of my add-on's but believe this is the best sim for me until someone develops a 64-bit program.

Steve Canham

I just recently switched to FSX SE after a reinstall was calling my name. So far so good. Some of my less important addons dont work yet, but I am happy to wait.  Of course I wanted to go the P3D route, as I have a copy. But as I primarily fly PMDG stuff I just cannot justify the cost of having to buy the planes again, for the sole reason of running on P3D. 

So I will be flying the FSX SE flag until there is a compelling reason why I should upgrade to P3D.

loiphin.

VAS management in FSX-SE is considered better than in P3D and original FSX. Though P3D's graphics admittedly look a bit better.

Nikos Pap

Yep, been with both FSX-SE and FSX-MS for some time, now switched on FSX-SE only. As others said, feels smoother and there are some significant advantages regarding VAS management on heavy load situations.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Actually, in all my testing, it is precisely the maxed out users who will benefit from FSX-SE. If you'd like to visit my cockpit and actually see the comparison you'd be welcome. I've already had several visitors who all agree.

You cannot have a real view on the subject based on factual evidence because you already admitted that your system is pretty basic with no complex add-on airports, which is where the pressure on performance occurs. So why on Earth do you persist in denying what others report?

Pete

Because when I read people talking about "performance" I think FPS and/or the lack of FPS jumping up and down. Others will call that part "smoothness".

I consider the lack of OOMs, terrain.dll and d3d.dll crashes "bug fixes", not "performance increases".

Others will have a different perspective as to what all of these mean.

So if SE is allowing people to enjoy FSX more than the MS version does, then that is a fine outcome for the hobby. 'Nuff said.

I purchased the Steam Edition when it was on sale at $5. I then installed both the original and the new edition on my computer and left them in a fresh state to make better comparisons. On my system, the Steam Edition runs no better than the original one even with the latest update (meaning that I can't make out a difference in FPS), and the VAS consumption overall is even a little higher on the Steam Edition during a test flight from Olympia to Seattle with the default 737 with most settings at high. I don't know whether things are a little different if a lot of add-ons are used, but I have decided to continue using the old edition primarily because some of my airplane add-ons that I use are not compatible with SE (most importantly, Concorde-X). Given the results of the test flights mentioned above, I see no reason to switch.

I had both FSX and FSX-SE installed on separate HDs, but then I had a corrupted OS W7, which I ended up reformating the main HD.  Deiceded to use my $5 FSX-SE install which was a breeze. I have finally installed all payware, FTX-Orbx, Rex, UTX 2.0, Global etc. and have noticed some improvement with Steam. Since I did a reformat the install went flawless. I no longer had to be conerned with the registry becoming a problem.

I guess you could say I am a FSX-SE convert.

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

This was posted by Martin on the Steam Forum a few hours ago.

DTG_Martin  [developer] 3 hours ago 
Hi everyone, 

Time for a quick update about what is happening with the beta. 

First off we are very sorry for the confusion we have caused. The plan was to run the beta into this week however due to some miscommunications here in the studio we had to pull access to it early. This was completely our own fault and we are sorry that we were unable to give you any advanced warning. 

The beta is now officially closed and you can opt out of it by doing the following: 

• Open Steam
• Open the Library tab
• Right click on Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition [g2610build]
• Select Properties from the menu
• Select the Beta tab at the top
• From the drop down menu, select NONE - Opt out of all beta programs
• FSX: Steam Edition will now update back to the LIVE version of the software
• In the Steam Library, your game will be listed as Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition

However, there is also some good news too. We are just adding the finishing touches to a new build of the update and due to the overwhelming success of this beta we will be offering this new version as a beta too. The response we have had from the FSX: Steam Edition community has blown us away. You have all been incredibly supportive, not just towards us but towards each other. We are extremely proud to be part of such a welcoming and helpful community. 

The current plan is to release the new build of the update on Thursday (26th March) however please take this with a pinch of the proverbial salt as it may change – we would rather get it right and delay it than release something we are not fully happy with. 

Just like before we will post in this thread all the information you will need if you would like to take part in the new beta. 

A big thank you again to everyone who has helped us to get this far. We couldn’t do it without you.

- Martin

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I bought FSX-SE back in January or so. Quite pleased with it. No issues with add-ons either. 

Because when I read people talking about "performance" I think FPS and/or the lack of FPS jumping up and down. Others will call that part "smoothness".

I consider the lack of OOMs, terrain.dll and d3d.dll crashes "bug fixes", not "performance increases".

Others will have a different perspective as to what all of these mean.

So if SE is allowing people to enjoy FSX more than the MS version does, then that is a fine outcome for the hobby. 'Nuff said.

The fact is that OOMs people usually experience are based on the fact they are using FSX+addons. They are not using stock FSX. And addons are pushing the engine (regardless of all the weaknesses it has) far beyond what it was created for. If you see it from this point of view, i think you can see what DTG regarding Vas management more of an improvement than buf fixes.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."