Sign in to follow this  
PC Pilot Dave

Are people making the switch to FSX Steam?

You don't have to. Check out Pete's (Dowson, creator of FSUIPC) post a while back in this thread on how to point FSX-SE to your FSX scenery. According to Pete, it's a matter of pointing your SE cfg files to the same places FSX pull them from.

I've done this and can vouch for it. All I had to reinstall was a couple of pieces of scenery (the ones with intensive copy protection, e.g. FSDT and Flightbeam) and my add-on aircraft. Theoretically you don't necessarily even have to reinstall those but it's easier to make them work by just installing them again in my experience.

And my experience is the same as that of others: much smoother and slightly higher FPS, plus better VAS management. I agree with whoever said it feels more "robust." I don't feel like I'm walking on eggshells as much as boxed FSX...

James

What I find odd is the strange behavior of some anti fsx-se posters. Why would you go to every fsx-se thread there is and say " I dont own this and never will!!" 

If I dislike something I would perhaps say it once and then move on...

If I do own the product I would continue to post and discuss it

If I stalked every thread where a product that I don't own and don't plan to is and then continue to trash it , I would never get any flying done

Zoran, I fully agree with you. That behavior is just resulting from intolerance.  Some people just don't tolerate that someone thinks, feels, likes, loves differently than they do.  They are suffering from a kind of aggressive missionary syndrome and want to force you to think, feel, like, love as they do.  This type of attitude can sometimes lead to extremely aggressive reactions when religion is concerned, like what is actually happening in some parts of the world, or like during the times of the Inquisition a few centuries ago.  Fortunately, the only weapons they can use within this friendly community are words  :Applause:

Jean-Jacques

Jean-Jacques Struyf

between EBBR and EBCI

I am so very thankful for the psychoanalysis!!

Now all that money I saved can be used towards my MS FSX install!

I will now cancel all future appointments and just come here for my sessions!!!

(Too bad none of it is true though)

You don't have to. Check out Pete's (Dowson, creator of FSUIPC) post a while back in this thread on how to point FSX-SE to your FSX scenery. According to Pete, it's a matter of pointing your SE cfg files to the same places FSX pull them from.

The one in the 14 page? I will check this out, thank you for your very helpful information, that´s why this forum is so useful.

The one in the 14 page? I will check this out, thank you for your very helpful information, that´s why this forum is so useful.

Looks right!  :)

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

I am so very thankful for the psychoanalysis!!

Now all that money I saved can be used towards my MS FSX install!

I will now cancel all future appointments and just come here for my sessions!!!

(Too bad none of it is true though)

Performance wise (FPS) you are right about FSX-SE, I don't see a big improvement, and what is there can be attributed to the smallpartrecjectradius being defaulted to 1.  The smoothness improvement (Stutters and pauses) and the VAS management improvements vs FSX-MS however are very real, so all I can say, is don't knock it until you try it!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

All true Tom and I have never questioned the improvements you have posted.

Performance wise (FPS) you are right about FSX-SE, I don't see a big improvement, and what is there can be attributed to the smallpartrecjectradius being defaulted to 1. 

Sorry, but this is simply not true. I can guarantee you that I always had 'SmallPartRejectRadius' set to '1' in FSX classic as well. In spite of this, my performance more or less doubled since I am running FSX-SE. The 'fsx.cfg' file I am using under FSX-SE is basically the same I used under FSX DVD, so at least in my case ''SmallPartRejectRadius' can't be the cause of such improvement. Guaranteed.

I ran a parallel installation for one month and the difference in terms of FPS, smoothness and stutters was so striking that I came to the conclusion it made no sense anymore to leave FSX classic on my 500 GB SSD. Since my very first flight with the trike over KFHR, I had a stunning boost in performance reaching 30-40 FPS in windowed mode or 50-60 FPS in full screen, where I never had more than 27-30 FPS with FSX classic. Never. I understand that these figures may be well under the average for most of you desktopers with processors overclocked to 4.5 GHz or higher, but on my system (Clevo laptop assembled by Chillblast, i7 4810MQ QC 2.70 GHz - 3.7GHz Turbo, 8GB SO-DIMM DDR3, Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M, SSD 500 GB) it makes a very big difference. I am using the same addons I used under FSX classic (PMDG 737NGX, Aerosoft Airbus A318-A321, Orbx package, REX, ASN, lots of payware airports and photoreal sceneries, Carenados, QW addons etc.) and I can guarantee you that I would never get 25-30 FPS on final in KSAN, KPHL, EDDM or most of payware airports I have with the sliders all maxed out except 'Autogen density' and traffic set to 30%. With FSX classic, with most of sliders set to middle stroke, I would get 12-15 in my luckiest day. I would never afford to set 'SmallPartRejectRadius=0' as I have now.

On the other side, it is definitely true that the performance improvement may change significantly from a system to another and I have no problems to believe that for some simmers the difference was negligible. Not in my case, however. For me there is no way back to FSX classic. Period.

Sorry, but this is simply not true. I can guarantee you that I always had 'SmallPartRejectRadius' set to '1' in FSX classic as well. In spite of this, my performance more or less doubled since I am running FSX-SE. The 'fsx.cfg' file I am using under FSX-SE is basically the same I used under FSX DVD, so at least in my case ''SmallPartRejectRadius' can't be the cause of such improvement. Guaranteed.

Well this is what I see! Randomly selected a default type airport (KFLL). Set same settings I normally use. I don't have a powerful computer, (A 3Ghz C2D) so my settings are Water 2xlow, Scenery Extremely dense, but autogen Sparse.. For this comparison I turned off all traffic on both sims, as well as set the SmallPartRejectRadius to 1 on both sims. Weather also was set to static Fair Weathr settings on both sims. The reason the FSX shot is darker, is because I have Shade installed, in which is not compatible in FSX-SE (That I have found at least). I also set DX9 in both, as I get the best performance in both sims with this mode. I normally though use DX10, to get the VC Shadows, which makes have not using Shade in FSX-SE a non issue.

FSX

fsx%202015-04-08%2022-34-07-86_zpseadedh

FSX-SE

fsx%202015-04-08%2022-10-43-82_zpsfg5krx

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

The silence over at STEAM is a bit annoying.  I was really hoping they would at least announce the date of release for the next Beta version or official update.  Initially it was April 1st, now who knows.  Anyway, hopefully we get some information today.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I see Pete Dowson just updated FSUIPC again today, and I would guess that is likely in response to another private beta release from DTG. So I think DTG is hard at work on FSX:SE, and in turn is also keeping poor Pete pretty busy.

Al

The fact that FSX has been updated AT ALL so long after it's original release is a miracle in itself. Any updates from here on out are just bonuses bonuses bonuses IMO. Btw, I installed FSX:SE for the first time yesterday even though I bought it almost immediately after release last year. So far I'm happy with it, works fine with my Orbx, ASN, REX Texture Direct, A2A etc.etc. Frames seems high but I was a little surprised because it stuttered quite a lot every time a new "batch" of autogen was loaded in-flight. So I did something I never used to do with my boxed FSX, set the frame limiter to 60 fps. Seems to have solved that little niggle but it was weird because some users have reported "smoother" performance with SE and it certainly wasn't smoother when autogen was popping in. Happy camper so far, main reason being the improved VAS usage even though I very rarely OOM'ed before, install time on a 10 Mbit/sec DSL connection isn't anything to write home about though. Well, at least I don't have to use my dodgy -but unscratched- DVD's anymore, they started playing up on me last year see.

Oh yeah, I uninstalled my boxed FSX before installing SE and removed any traces of it. I would never have both versions installed at the same time, that's just asking for unwanted troubles.

We can speculate all we want about Steam vs MSFSX but the fact remains that any future of FSX the program rides on Dovetail and no where else. I will admit there is some improvement with SE. The reason I uninstalled it was the interaction with my original version that caused me to have to re-load MSFSX and start over and I wont consider reloading SE until all the add-on's I put my money on work with the program. 

I have seen Dovetail reaching out and correcting issues based on priority and that's good. I have decided to do the old wait and see. I hope that Dovetail can one day create a flightsim more up to date but that might be out of their hands for the time being.  I will stick to MSFSX until I am sure which program will lead us into the future. In my opinion MSFSX and SE are just to get us by for the present. 

FSX-SE was the perfect excuse to return to my old love afther many years.

Its 99% stable and im really happy with it.

Cheers :)

N.-