Sign in to follow this  
PC Pilot Dave

Are people making the switch to FSX Steam?

As with all software, backups are key. I've always maintained a complete copy of my FSX installation for this reason. With the enormous capacilities of hard disks these days, even SSDs, it isn't a problem.

I fully agree, backup is essential.
About option to restore all your files to the default, already used and have not found problems with aircraft were replaced only files modified by REX 4 Direct, FSX.CFG and other configuration files were intact, not scenarios use of third parties.
Do not see my modified FSX.CFG of involuntary way, as some say happen.
At the moment there is only uam point I am trying to work with Steam, the installer backup that in December created only one less than 1 GB of disk, regardless of the chosen media size, today selected DVD size, creates two DVD discs, then the backup works but have to do additional download of approximately 2.GB, I have an open ticket to Steam on the problem.

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

There are some companies who would rather sell 2000 copies at $5 on steam vs. 100 copies at $25 on their private website or something other distributer with much less traffic.

And lose 90%? I don't think so.

And lose 90%? I don't think so.

Proof they actually only get 10% of sales?

You are making assumptions in a vacuum. Namely, you are assuming that addon company "x" will sell the same volume either way. They probably won't. 

There are some companies who would rather sell 2000 copies at $5 on steam vs. 100 copies at $25 on their private website or some other distributer with much less traffic. 

No vacuum here and I'm perfectly aware of what you are saying. Unfortunately it doesn't quite work out like that, because the assumption of mass sales is actually a presumption, and a rather important factor is support. The developer has to offer support at the same level offered on a $25 product, and, even if you are right, they now have to support 2000 customers as opposed to 100 but at a much higher cost per customer for support. This might work on very old products the developer is desperate to get rid of, which is why you are seeing almost all DLC in that category.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Actually that is not quite true Pete. No-one was forced but "eyes open" isn't entirely the case, and I have already explained that. When someone knocks on your door and says "this is the future - I'm offering you a deal. We'll sell thousands of your product. But first I want you to sign this piece of paper that says you agree not to discuss or disclose the wonderful deal I'm about to offer you, or even that this discussion took place", and then offers you a lousy deal on which you'll actually make barely enough to cover costs, that is not exactly "open" negotiation is it?

Here we go again!

Proof they actually only get 10% of sales?

My conversations with DTG.

Is anyone using PFC flight controls with steam?  If so how did you get steam to recognize them?

Thanks,

Tom

Is anyone using PFC flight controls with steam?  If so how did you get steam to recognize them?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom you will get a far better response by starting a new thread :-)

ZORAN

Folks, anybody tested FS2Crew (777 for instance) and FSPassengers with FSX:SE?

Folks, anybody tested FS2Crew (777 for instance) and FSPassengers with FSX:SE?

FS2Crew works. Unlike say the NGX the 777 version has a Steam-compatible installer.

I got FSX-SE as a gift from "Fisheye" back in January and I absolutely love it. My frame rates are faster than they are in FSX Gold/Acceleration and FSX-SE seems to be more robust. As of  yet I haven't had any CTDs or freeze-ups, and my add-on aircraft, both payware and freeware perform flawlessly.

I still run FSX Gold/Acceleration but I fly FSX-SE primarily for multiplayer activities, and rarely run it offline. There are a few good FSX-SE Steam sites out there to fly in that have adequate ATC and the online pilots using these sites seem to take things seriously enough for me to join their sessions. And then there are sites that are basically a free for all clusterfrak where pilots are all over the place, taking off from the wrong runways or strafing you during your take off roll. I don't visit those sites too often unless I'm departing with no intention of returning.

If you want to host a session in FSX-SE it's very easy to do, and you can post your own codes of conduct to alert prospective pilots regarding what types of behavior are expected once they join your session. When I host a session I post my codes of conduct, the active runway(s), traffic pattern altitude(s) and suggested touring routes to fly when departing from my home airport which is either KSEE or KMYF. So far the most popular route has been the KMYF to KPSP, with the KMYF to KSBA running second.

FSX-SE online is a hoot. FSX-SE offline is great. Seriously.

APUtech

What I find odd is the strange behavior of some anti fsx-se posters. Why would you go to every fsx-se thread there is and say " I dont own this and never will!!" 

If I dislike something I would perhaps say it once and then move on...

If I do own the product I would continue to post and discuss it

If I stalked every thread where a product that I don't own and don't plan to is and then continue to trash it , I would never get any flying done

ZORAN

FS Steam is a bargain and I could not resist. I enjoyed, but for a while I use mostly FSX and have both in my system. Too much lazzy to unistall FSX reinstall everything in FS Steam. 

FS Steam is a bargain and I could not resist. I enjoyed, but for a while I use mostly FSX and have both in my system. Too much lazzy to unistall FSX reinstall everything in FS Steam.

You don't have to. Check out Pete's (Dowson, creator of FSUIPC) post a while back in this thread on how to point FSX-SE to your FSX scenery. According to Pete, it's a matter of pointing your SE cfg files to the same places FSX pull them from.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png