Sign in to follow this  
Groovin_DC-10

Best Looking Commercial Jets

Harald - you got a laugh out of me with that last comment!

But somehow that was the truth. There are more examples, for instance the Zaporoshez ZAZ-965 car which was owned by my father

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Saporoshez_ZAZ_965_A.JPG

The pictured car even has a number plate of Dresden county of this time!

However, it was a copy of the Fiat-600 from the front until the B-column. From there on it was an own development. Unfortunately, the engine was also an own development, and my father had to re-construct parts of it to make the car usable at all.

In the case of Concorde vs. Tu-144, while the scape seams to be very similar, the Soviets decided to do absolutely different methods for constructing the fuselage, the nacelle cooling etc. While marketed as big achievement, they may be the reason for the inconvenience and accidents of this plane.

The earlier constructions, like Tu-104, Tu-134, Il-18 and Il-62 were surely much better constructions, given the service of the latter three lasts until today.

Cheers!

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

But somehow that was the truth. There are more examples, for instance the Zaporoshez ZAZ-965 car which was owned by my father

http://en.wikipedia....z_ZAZ_965_A.JPG

The pictured car even has a number plate of Dresden county of this time!

However, it was a copy of the Fiat-600 from the front until the B-column. From there on it was an own development. Unfortunately, the engine was also an own development, and my father had to re-construct parts of it to make the car usable at all.

Did it fly any reasonable distance?  Just wonder'n

No (except in strange accidents). Wanted to make clear a Soviet way of technology development, reminding me the quite similar development of the Tu-144.

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

did maintenance on a typical British aircraft

And British cars too!  B)

I agree with your post Ian but the topic is "Best Looking Commercial Jets," not the most worthy, successful or easiest to maintain.  And for once I considered myself having addressed the topic rather than rambling on as I am inclined to do.  :lol:

Tubes with wings these days get kind of generic lol.  At least the early jet airliners were more distinctive looking.  Now they are pretty generic.  To bad the Sonic Cruiser and BWB concepts never came to pass, they were some intriguing ideas.  

Well Groovin' you picked a thread title that certainly allows a little emotive discussion!

Some come up with fighting talk!  :lol:

In my opinion the Comet,  the very first jet airliner, takes the title of the Best Looker. 
She succeeded because, at the same time, she was sleek, purposeful, integrated and a vision of the future.
The French, always appreciating beauty, copied her.   
The crass, arrogant Americans introduced the ugly 707 - all pods and engines.

I'll have you know, I took the Lamborghini Miura poster off the wall and replaced it with a B707 which to my eyes was Da Bizness!

You could not hang a Comet picture - ever - without knowing it blew up and killed people!

And the French copy? you refer to the Caravelle, or what?

(The AFG model available in the library is fantastic)

The 707 however was displaced after a flight on the VC10.

Aah now there is form following function, a thing of rare beauty!

Not just any one, mind, has to be the Super VC10 whose proportions are sublime.

David Maltby is the stop of choice of course:

http://www.dmflightsim.co.uk/vickers_vc10.htm

Let's see now ....... we've uncovered Soviet development by evolution and reverse engineering (copying) ..... poor British quality and maintenance ..... French development by copying .... and oh yes ...  crass, arrogant Americans who are fond of pods.

Any other candidates?  Japanese, Chinese, Lithuanians ???? ..... and not to mention the aerospace powerhouse: Djibouti?

gwill my dear old collywobble... go here and seek fulfilment:

http://www.retirement-living.com/wool-power/

Been there ..... done that.  Knitted a model of the B-36 Peacemaker.  Brilliant if I do say so myself ..... BUT ..... looking for new worlds to conquer, hence I'm now an independent aviation/aerospace critic.  My latest work will be on 60 minutes .... starting at 61 minutes after the hour ..... and of course .... in your favorite flight sim forum.

Just say'n

P.S.

I'm keeping the "collywobble" tag ...... just love it!

I'm keeping the "collywobble" tag

Yes our WingZ does have a way with words, although I do prefer his descriptive 'curmudgeon.'

Bizjets on the side of the flying tube scale, there are some beauties.  I think the Falcon 10 is my favorite in the looks department....also quite a performer too.  The early Lears were quite pleasing to the eye too.  The fictional Carreidas 160 from the TinTin comic 'Flight 714' was a nice looking plane too, would love to see a developer bring one to FS.

http://img72.xooimage.com/files/2/a/0/carreidas-160-2e49438.jpg

Cheers

TJ

I wanna be a collywobble AND a curmudgeon! That would be a combination NO-ONE would want to mess with!! Where do I apply? LMAO

In the Real world there really is only one answer to this question.

37242.jpg

I wanna be a collywobble AND a curmudgeon! That would be a combination NO-ONE would want to mess with!! Where do I apply? LMAO

TAG ..... You're it!

That pic of the VC10 is a pretty persuasive argument - it really was a truly beautiful machine. It gets my vote - the eyes have it! (Pun, no matter how awful, intended)

Tag you're it.... Wow - that easy? No initiation ceremony? No deeds of collywobblism or curmudgeonly retorts required?   B) I should have done this a long time ago!