Sign in to follow this  
Howellerman

POLL: Factory fresh versus Worn Cockpits

In the sim I like to fly older GA planes and helicopters primarily, so I prefer a gently used cockpit in keeping with the age of those aircraft.

As long as we're talking about how developers model their cockpits, I'd like to say to those developers that feel every old plane needs a giant GPS in the middle of the panel that I wish more would offer the option of a 'vintage' vc panel to those of us that prefer old school cockpits.

Pretty simple philosophy, if I fly 737-200 or MD-80, worn cockpit is a must. When I'm in PMDG NGX, I would love to see an option to choose worn or new since I simulate flights for new airline = new airplanes = clean cockpits.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Another thing you'll see is graffiti written in little nooks and crannies. Usually having to do with management or an unpopular member of the profession. 

Or the softcore pics hidden behind unused panels on the overhead...

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

As long as we're talking about how developers model their cockpits, I'd like to say to those developers that feel every old plane needs a giant GPS in the middle of the panel that I wish more would offer the option of a 'vintage' vc panel to those of us that prefer old school cockpits.

This, so much this.  The moment I see "G1000" in a product description, it's a no no.  Lovely and wonderful as I'm sure they are in real life, they are just so bland and characterless.... 

Uh... expensive aircraft (and I mean expensive even for aircraft) are rarely 'worn'. Owners literally kill someone if they so much as put a blemish on any surface.

You don't spend millions just so someone can scratch the crap out of the interior.

One if the fun aspects of my job is I get to crawl inside every aircraft I work with, and they're not worn. Not one bit.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

With the price of planes today....it would be HUGE selling point to give the simmer a "choice" of worn or new cockpit, and clean or somewhat dirty airplane.  What do you think of that suggestion?

Stan

In the sim I like to fly older GA planes and helicopters primarily, so I prefer a gently used cockpit in keeping with the age of those aircraft.

I'll talk a bit of real life here.  As far as flight simming goes, I don't need GPS that much, as I'm more in to pilotage with good scenery. When it comes to real life vintage planes, as well as new models, you will usually at least see a portable GPS aboard. And the bigger the screen, the better. That's the reason that I-pads are very popular for navigation.  I spent many evenings and weekends at the airport, because I owned an maintained an aircraft. I never met anyone, who actively used GPS, but then resorted to old school.  There are just too many disadvantages with old school, when compared to moving map GPS which gives a pilot so much more information, and so quickly.  So yes, in real life, if the pilot can afford it, a bunch of these older planes will be retrofitted with a nice GPS in the panel. The bigger, the better!

If I was to own a vintage aircraft, I'd probably prefer the panel to look original.  Then I'd haul my GPS along.  Can't beat satellite weather, and mapping functions for all of those airspaces,, towers, etc.................that didn't exist in the good old days.  Of course, terrain mapping is always a life saver, if one gets into a un-planned position, where it makes all the difference.  

What do you think of this real world 737-200C? It was one of the reference aircraft for Milviz. Note the 'green' where the paint has worn, and the real world grunge on the overhead's most often used switches and knobs.

TfCnsw.jpg

I understand where the worn cockpit came from and I'm not saying it's a bad thing, not at all. It's just a matter of personal taste. I like this aircraft a lot, it's very well made and I love to fly it. It's just that for my taste it could have been a little less worn than it is. ;)

Cheers!

Maarten