Sign in to follow this  
Howellerman

POLL: Factory fresh versus Worn Cockpits

Fresh.  I spent a lot of years at the airport, around nicely appointed experimental class airplanes. Lancairs, Glasairs, RV's, etc. A lot of work went into these airplanes, and most owners keep them sharp looking, and clean. On the other side, is beat up rentals, with fading and torn glareshields, scratched and hazy windscreens, non working auto-pilots, etc.   I prefer planes, even the older ones, that had a lot of care from the owner.  Like what you'd see at Oshkosh displays, where the owners show them off, instead of just flying them like a used tool.

I'm really starting to appreciate planes and cockpits that look like they've been "used". 

Stan

I believe this would fit in the worn category. It was taken in the cockpit of an A321 this morning.

012071a42c81fcd8ab0bf8e3cc863720d3bb4c09

NAX669.png

In real life I like a nice clean cockpit and cabin, but since I have always rented my entire life, those have been few and far between. I usually end up with a Cessna or Piper that was built in the 60's, 70's or 80's and has a lot of wear and tear.

In the sim I prefer a little bit of wear, about like what PMDG did with the NGX, but have found that what Captsim does is a little more wear and tear than I prefer.

I believe this would fit in the worn category. It was taken in the cockpit of an A321 this morning.

012071a42c81fcd8ab0bf8e3cc863720d3bb4c09

Nice Mike, I want to replace you when you retire.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Nice Mike, I want to replace you when you retire.

Sean,

We're always looking for a few good men. :lol:

NAX669.png

No strong preference either way.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Always fresh. The worn look distracts me. I've been in real commercial airliners and for the most part there is some wear. I'd rather not deal with it in a flight sim.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Sean,

We're always looking for a few good men. :lol:

Mike, you've got mail.

To me it all depends on the aircraft.  For example, I want my expensive and sporty Lancair Legacy to be pretty darn near mint, whereas I'd expect my C185 or An-2 to have a bit of wear from many years of use going on. Lately I've spent most of my sim hours in the 4X DA20, and that shows about a perfect level of appropriate wear.  The MV B55 is a good example of appropriate wear as well, as is the Aerosoft Twin Otter.

So officially, I'm on both sides of the fence.  It just depends on the aircraft.  ^_^

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

A little wear and tear in a 60 year old cockpit makes it realistic, but not too much, even an old aircraft can be cleaned up before it gets a new life and, for example, the Milviz 737-200 is way over the top for me. To me this one looks like it belongs on the scrapyard, instead of in the air.

Cheers!

Maarten

A little wear and tear in a 60 year old cockpit makes it realistic, but not too much, even an old aircraft can be cleaned up before it gets a new life and, for example, the Milviz 737-200 is way over the top for me. To me this one looks like it belongs on the scrapyard, instead of in the air.

What do you think of this real world 737-200C? It was one of the reference aircraft for Milviz. Note the 'green' where the paint has worn, and the real world grunge on the overhead's most often used switches and knobs.

TfCnsw.jpg

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Another thing you'll see is graffiti written in little nooks and crannies. Usually having to do with management or an unpopular member of the profession. 

NAX669.png

Well since my name came up... :o

My actual preference is for the cockpit to be representative of the typical condition of the type in question.  So, for example, I appreciate that my RealAir Lancair Legacy is in very nice condition indeed (though not unrealistically perfect) as that's how most are going to look.  On the other hand, the Cessna 404 was used in charter, very short hop scheduled flight and cargo hauling.  A typical example is NOT going to look like a well-loved and meticulously built Lancair, it's going to look pretty rough within a few short months of delivery and for the rest of its workaday life.

Horses for courses and all that, but even the best cared for planes will have a little bit of wear and tear.

Scott