Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

Fltplan Go app for iPad - Way Cool!

Good post Scott.

Perry, here is a link to a great flight planning tutorial video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7bzNiHzja8 It's a long one because it is very comprehensive.  One point I would emphasize is that if you get bored by the somewhat slow pace, skip ahead to just beyond the 30 minute mark in the video and watch the portion where the presenter goes to and works with SkyVector.com. SkyVector is another planning site but does not have a cool app like FltPlanGo.   At the SkyVector site you can put in your departure and destination airports, select hi altitude or low altitude routes, and then click points on the route line and drag them to route waypoints.  This will build the text line (see blue box in image below) you can then paste in at FltPlan.com to use with the FltPlanGo app. You will have to learn how to handle Standard Instrument Departures (SID's) such as CONNR3 and Standard Arrivals (STAR's) within that line when you use it at FltPlan.com. Or simply remove the SID or STAR from the line.

SkyVector%281%29-X2.jpg

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

OK thanks guys I appreciate it. I will check out the video, I know how to make a flight plan, I was just having a little trouble with FLTplan web site where you make it. I am mostly flying majestic Q400 or a good GA like A2A or realair. But thanks again for heads up on video I check it out. : ) Did my first flight with it, real fun specially seeing my plane track down the approach chart and having all the info right there!

Here is another tip for the FltPlanGo app. You can access the web site from it (top icon in left margin column) and modify a flight plan while you are in the air. Then save it and the modified plan can then be accessed with the app.  So if you change arrivals, or if you decide from some point in your route to go direct to a more distant waypoint in your route you can modify the plan, save it, refresh your navlogs in the app, and then select and use it.

Another thing I appear to have learned is that if you do not DL into the app the current approach plate for your approach your plane icon may not appear on the approach chart. That is likely due to the fact that the app is a real world app that as an additional benefit also connects to FSX. Because it is real world the restriction of appearing only on current approach plates is likely a step toward safety and/or liability.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thanks Frank - yep - great little app and amazing you get geo-reeferenced plates for free...

:wink:

Regards,
​Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I stumbled upon this thread a few days ago, and was intrigued enough to download and install the FltPlan Go app and related PC software on my iPad and FSX rig.  I had just upgraded to a newer iPad with more capacity, so my "retired" ipad 2 is now being pressed into service as my FSX flight planner using this great little app.

The install went smoothly using the great instructions provided by Frank Patton.  I just tested it briefly, and saw that the aircraft icon was appearing at my departure airport, and I am seeing the breadcrumb trail of the flight path.

As a newbie with this app, I do have a question for you more experienced simmers and pilots.  When I first started the app, I got a "warning" that my maps were being distributed on-line, and not the downloaded maps and charts.  And I noticed that there is a separate button on the side panel for downloads, which would naturally seem to be the way to obtain downloaded maps, airport charts, and approaches. 

This begs the question whether there are performance or other advantages to downloading bunches of maps and charts as opposed to having them generated on-line?  Will the application not perform or behave properly if I do not download these files, or, will the app just obtain the needed charts and maps for a given flight plan as needed on-line?  I ask because iPad storage is much more finite than on my PC! 

So I'm curious to know if the "warning" about on-line maps has any real consequence.  If folks are downloading charts and maps, are you just downloading particular regions? 

Thanks for any tips,

Rich

Hi Rich,

That only really matters if you want to use the app in locations that don't have WiFi access - since in our context - we need to use the app in conjunction with our PC within WiFi range - I choose to just download the charts as needed instead of saving them on the iPAd - so I just keep selecting the "X" to close the window... If you have really slow internet or want to use the app when not in WiFi range - you may want to download and save your charts - totally up to you...

I haven't looked at the download options but I'm sure you should be able to do it by region and type of charts desired...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Scott is on target here.  If you were using a cell service connected iPad when flying in real life you would likely burn through your monthly data allotment.  But when you are connecting to a flight simulator the app requires you to be connected to the network that your flight sim computer is also connected to. 

I have a 16 gb iPad Air 2 and DL of a lot of maps and charts really ate into my storage capacity. So I most often roll with the warnings and use the online.  But see the caveat in the paragraph below.  I am influenced by the fact that in my sim flying I cover a lot of turf. I range frequently from eastern Maryland, to Indiana, St Louis, and occasionally range to the west coast and gulf coast.  So that makes onliine charts and plates the best option for me.

Caveat.... recently at least it a appears that I may not be seeing my airplane icon on approach plates if not using the most current plate. That requires DL of the current plate.  Seems to be what I am experiencing but have not tried specific test to confirm. Just that on occasion I did not have the icon and DL of the current plate then produced the icon.

It would be a good suggestion to make to the FltPlan folks that they recognize the effect of the required common network connection for both the computer and the tablet and allow the warning to be context disabled.

Thanks for any tips,
Rich

BTW Rich, happy recent one year anniversary for your presence here on Avsim.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Thanks, Scott and Frank for the advice on the use of maps and charts on-line with the common WiFi connection.  That is exactly what I wanted to hear, since I could easily fill up the little bit of remaining storage on my iPad 2 if I had to download reams of maps and charts.  I will ignore the "warning" and access the charts on-line, unless I see that Frank's suspicion about needing the current approach charts is true, and then I will selectively download what I use most often.

Great forum here, and I appreciate the kind and prompt support!

Rich

Great forum here, and I appreciate the kind and prompt support!

Keep exploring. FltPlanGo et al. There is so much here at Avsim! 

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Hi guys final getting the hang of this app, figured out how to get a flight plan into it and save it. I wanted to pass this along in case anyone missed it. I got an update email from FltPlanGo about a new feature where you can load a procedure right on top of what ever map you are using so you don't have to use split screen anymore. Here is a link as to how to use the new feature, very nice!

and here is a link to there web page that has more video support if you are interested   https://flttrack.fltplan.com/FltPlanVideoSupport/FltPlanVideoSupport.html

Perry

I forgot to mention I had a proplem with this working until I downloaded the Procedure charts from the app. Go to downloads-Procedures-Canada or US or both.

• Upvote 1

I wonder how can i install this app without changing the region of my iPad....

Cheers :)

N.-

Learned several new aspects from that video.  Did not know the app had rubber banding capability to modify routes. I love that feature at SkyVector and thrilled it is now in the FltPlanGo App.  Thanks for posting!

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Fltplan Go is a great app, mainly for going flying.  It will provide easy maps, AF/D information, approach plates, etc for Simming.   Also works on real computers as well as ipads!!    All you need is the free software for the PC that finds the GPS information in FSX or Prepar3d and transmits it on your local network to the Fltplan Go.   You can't import flightplans created in the Sim app, but you CAN import plans created on Fltplan.com.  That makes the sim act more like an airplane, IMHO.  

However a recent upgrade in the Fltplan go app should be mentioned.  In the old version you had to turn on wireless and then use the settings tab on the map screen to activate the simulated GPS.  In the new version, that button is not in the setting menu any more.  It's been moved into the "external" screen (left side icon bar) and is under simulation near the bottom of that list.  The Fltplan go help page still describes the old configuration.   

Thx AirAtom for your good advice concerning the "enable GPS-Button".

I use version 4.3.2 Build Number 611 and if I choose "External" I can see a section "Simulators" with 2 branches below,. X-Plane and FSX & Prepar3d, but no activation button for simulated GPS. 

Thx for another good advice.

Cheers

Ralf