Sign in to follow this  
Mithras

I Don't 'Get' the A2A Piper Cub

I think it's all going to come down to personal preference.  For example, I dearly love flying the A2A Cub with Accusim.  It just feels right.  But the A2A Cessna 172 with Accusim just leaves me cold.  I enjoy flying a real C172, but for some reason the sim version doesn't do anything for me.  I know a lot of people really love the A2A C172. 

As for the Cub being too slow, it amuses me when someone complains bitterly about how slow some plane is, but likes another plane that's only 10 knots faster in cruise.  When I'm flying, two hours in the cockpit is two hours flying, no matter what the distance.  Sometimes the journey is more important than the destination.

I used the A2A Cub to duplicate the flight in the book "Flight of Passage", from New Jersey to California, and I loved every minute of it.  It would have been faster in a SR-71, but not as enjoyable.  Your mileage may vary.  I also enjoy flying pure VFR with few instruments and no GPS, just a map, a compass, and a clock. 

I've also flown other slow aircraft across the US.  I flew Richard Bach's flight from Florida to Orcas Island in a SeaRey (as close as I could, Bach didn't give specific waypoints in his blog) and loved it.  The blog posts are no longer online, but his book "Travels with Puff" is available for those interested.  The blog had lots of great pics and videos, not sure about the book. :)  Later I saw a real SeaRey at a fliy-in at our local airport and it was a near-religious experience. 

I've also duplicated most of Coonts' flight in the book "Cannibal Queen" in a Stearman.  A little faster according to the air speed indicator, but I really couldn't tell the difference in the cockpit.  I was there for the journey, the destination didn't matter.

I also enjoy flying the Dodosim helicopter, which isn't very fast, but still fun even for long distance flights, although you have to stay on top of the controls the whole flight.  I love flying a sailplane using CumulusX, which is even slower than the Cub and a good way to wean yourself away from flying magenta lines at fixed altitudes;  you just can't do that in a glider chasing thermals.  If you spend some time soaring in a good sailplane, you might appreciate the Cub a bit more.  These are a different type of flying than using autopilot and a GPS.

My signature line was selected with the Cub in mind.  You can dance the skies on laughter silvered wings in a Cub;  that's what it's made for.  This is not true of every aircraft in the sim world.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I use this plane every time I purchase a new scenery. Slow, low, and no rush to get anywhere. Otherwise I stick to the Cherokee. I have all of the A2A birds, but the Cherokee is my favorite plane, period.

I, too, own the Flight Replicas Super Cubs. Great fun, a bit more speed, and a handy GPS. Throttle drastically affects handling.

I am thinking of buying the RealAir Decathlon &Scout just to see how they run in P3D, even though they are not officially supported.

There is certainly something special about the A2A Cub though, in my opinion.

Semi old thread alert! Whoop whoop pull up!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Semi old thread alert! Whoop whoop pull up!

Interesting nevertheless. I've just happened upon it and not noticing the date, read it from the start. Good stuff, still relevant. Griphos will be surprised to get an 'up' for one of his posts.  :BigGrin: 

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Yes indeed. Never too late to seek opinions on old classics.

I came here seeking enlightenment on the simple question: for sightseeing - a Cub, or a helicopter ?

Very interesting stuff.