Sign in to follow this  
clive6354

NEWBIE to 737NGX

Hello Everyone

I will soon be getting a new computer system with specifications to handle the 737NGX.  My specs will be

Windows 7 64bit

FSX

i5 processor, ( is an i5 processor sufficient or i7 desirable?)

8GB ram

GTX 750 Graphics Card (2gb)

At the moment I use Level D B767 using Windows 7 and FS9.  I am very happy with Level D B767 and FS9 but wish to try something new

I have watched many tutorial flights on YOUTUBE using the 737NGX.  I would welcome reccomendations for the best tutorial video for a new user.  Does PMDG produce a tutorial video?

Any other guidance and tips for a new user would be most welcome

Clive Alexander

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

PMDG provides a couple tutorial flights via PDF. Youtube stuff is can somewhat helpful, but I would just follow PMDG's tutorials so that you know you're doing everything right. Youtube 'tutorials' made by a regular simmer, while I don't want to degrade the videos some people have put out, are a lot more prone to errors.

Thanks for the help

When setting the trim on the 737NGX does it have to be set exact e.g 4.6 compared to 4.8.  How do you set .6 or .8, guess work? Is there  digital trim reading for this aircraft.  I do use  a digital trim guage when using Level D 767

Hello Everyone

I will soon be getting a new computer system with specifications to handle the 737NGX.  My specs will be

Windows 7 64bit

FSX

i5 processor, ( is an i5 processor sufficient or i7 desirable?)

8GB ram

GTX 750 Graphics Card (2gb)

At the moment I use Level D B767 using Windows 7 and FS9.  I am very happy with Level D B767 and FS9 but wish to try something new

I have watched many tutorial flights on YOUTUBE using the 737NGX.  I would welcome reccomendations for the best tutorial video for a new user.  Does PMDG produce a tutorial video?

Any other guidance and tips for a new user would be most welcome

Clive Alexander

If you're getting a NEW computer system I would definitely not get an i5 and not that graphics card either... 970 4GB is a much better choice, unless you want to run that pmdg with nithing else :P (if you can afford a 989 even better of course, but I know it's way too expensive for now)

I couldn't disagree with Carlos more.  I run PMDG's NGX and 777 (among others) along with TrackIR, OpusFSI, Plan G, FSInn... with no problems... (except for the occasional OOM around high population density areas in the 777)  There's no need for a supercomputer... although, it helps if you can afford one.  I can't.

i5 - 3470 @ 3.2GHz

12.0 GB

GeForce 730

Thanks for the help

When setting the trim on the 737NGX does it have to be set exact e.g 4.6 compared to 4.8. How do you set .6 or .8, guess work? Is there digital trim reading for this aircraft. I do use a digital trim guage when using Level D 767

As someone mentioned, you have to eye ball it. The real plane doesn't have Tool Tips like FSX, so you have to just get it as close as you can by eye. The plane will still fly if you're .1 or .2 degrees off.

Sean Campbell

I have chosen a specification chosen on performance and price.  Please let me know if the following specs would be suffient for the 737NGX

Intel i5-4460 (3.2Ghz) 6Mb Cache

GTX 750 Ti (2Gb)

8Gb Ram DDR3 1600 Mhz

Windows 7 64bit

I have chosen a specification chosen on performance and price.  Please let me know if the following specs would be suffient for the 737NGX

Intel i5-4460 (3.2Ghz) 6Mb Cache

GTX 750 Ti (2Gb)

8Gb Ram DDR3 1600 Mhz

Windows 7 64bit

Should be sufficient. However I advise you to pick a CPU that is overclockable like the 4690K

I agree with Karsten.

I have the 4690K, and have been able to bump it up to 4.3ghz stable.

As I was working with stability, I tested the NGX at each level (The NGX is the only reason I've built this system)

A higher cpu clock rate seems to have a major impact for higher frames and smoother operation.

clive6354, on 23 Aug 2015 - 2:57 PM, said:Thanks for the help

When setting the trim on the 737NGX does it have to be set exact e.g 4.6 compared to 4.8.  How do you set .6 or .8, guess work? Is there  digital trim reading for this aircraft.  I do use  a digital trim guage when using Level D 767

In the simulator's options, make sure to leave "Cockpit Tooltips" on.  With this option, hovering over the trim wheel will give you the digital read that you want.
I usually go about .5 over what the FMC recommends.  It seems to give a perfect attitude after gear up.

In the simulator's options, make sure to leave "Cockpit Tooltips" on.  With this option, hovering over the trim wheel will give you the digital read that you want.
I usually go about .5 over what the FMC recommends.  It seems to give a perfect attitude after gear up.

Just eyeball it - I can't hover my hand over the trim wheel in any of the planes I fly and have it magically pop up a number telling me what it is.

But, you guys have us that option, Kyle. ;)

Microsoft did, yeah, though I guess we kinda tapped into it. I see where you're going, but it's a study sim, which most people want to utilize in a realistic manner. Most just don't think it through enough to realize "oh yeah, tooltips aren't in the real thing either...guess I should just eyeball it."

Plus, when you think about it, the FMC is giving you a value in "false perfection." In other words, it's giving you that value on the assumption the CG value you gave it is accurate, but that CG could be very off, since the CG is calculated using an assumed passenger weight. Here in the US, weight varies widely. Heck, just look at the difference between your typical early morning business flight to your later evening flight to MCO. That being said, your CG is going to be an estimate (close, but still an estimate), which means that the resultant trim value (coming from an estimate) is going to have error in it. Set it close and adjust as necessary when airborne.

Set it close and adjust as necessary when airborne.

Here's a difference between a sim-only pilot and a pilot.  When hand-flying, you are flying the trim so the trim starting point is a minor issue since you'll be tweaking as soon as you're airborne. Kyle is suggesting that there are major issues and minor issues, learn the difference and don't sweat the minor issues.

The worst thing that can happen is more or less elevator input for rotation as long as you are close.

It took me months to get rid of the (bad) habit of setting the trim to second digit using the tool tip...  :fool:

Now I set the trim with the mouse cursor off the trim wheel.

I think the problem in flying only in sim is that if something is available (like the tool tip for the trim value) it must be absolutely used and complyed to the letter, forgetting that in real life it is not (as already said in previous posts in that thread). 

Despite the fact it couldn't be called "empiric" either, flying is not a perfect and exact science. Of course, procedures have to be complied with and correct figures have to be used, but it requires the pilot to have a sense of flying. which is some case kind of supplant the theory of flight. 

I think the problem in flying only in sim is that if something is available (like the tool tip for the trim value) it must be absolutely used and complyed to the letter, forgetting that in real life it is not (as already said in previous posts in that thread). 

Yeah, this ended up "getting" me when I was training for my private pilot certificate. I think I may have used the story once or twice here, but just in case:

In the sim, I'd use the 'B' key to snag the local altimeter. I got so used to doing this that when I was on my long solo cross country, my thought process literally went *hey, I should update my altimeter setting - just hit the...'B'...key...that isn't here...how do I? Oh! Right! Tune into ROA's ATIS...*

Seriously.

Needless to say, that was the end of my simulator shortcut keys (with some exceptions like view switching and so on).

*hey, I should update my altimeter setting - just hit the...'B'...key...that isn't here...how do I? Oh! Right! Tune into ROA's ATIS...*

I don't understand why they persist in not installingthe "B key" in the cockpit of the aircrafts...  :wink:

Regarding ATIS, until PMDG came with addons that accurately model the radio system, I used to look at the Active sky window to read the METAR when flying online instead of switching to the frequency not to leave the ATC frequency while under control on IVAO.

Now I can listen to both frequencies at the same time in both the NGX and T7 thanks to PMDG.

I wonder what I would have done in real flight with that habit. Oh I need the ATIS for the weather at destination airport... where is the Active sky window?  :Devil:

I wonder what I would have done in real flight with that habit. Oh I need the ATIS for the weather at destination airport... where is the Active sky window? 

Honestly, I get some of that even in the real world, too. If you ever fly a G1000 aircraft, you get really used to being able to snag a lot of information right from the MFD (the airport database contains all the airport frequencies and so on). The next time I flew a non-G1000 aircraft, I floundered a bit before realizing I needed to but out the iPad and get the info from ForeFlight.

Interesting the odd habits you can pick up here and there...

Thanks for the help

The trim figure is calculated and set by the FMC. You can change it if you wish with the mouse in virtual cockpit mode - just right/left click over the trim wheel and see the trim wheel move. Click over the readout area and you will see the setting as digits (tool tip style)