Sign in to follow this  
threegreen

P3D Questions

Hi,

I'm thinking of switching over to P3D since I've always had a hard time getting FSX to run properly and I also like the prospect of an up to date sim that is updated on a regular basis. I'm just not sure what license I should purchase as a regular sim enthusiast? Also, I'm not certain about whether it really concentrates on hardcore flight simming as I read about this underwater operation thingy? I suppose it does as otherwise it probably wouldn't be so popular within flight simmers. If someone using P3D could provide me a quick heads up I'd be very grateful.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

A basic search of this topic would reveal that advice usually isn't given on this issue. Read the different EULAs over on LM's site and pick the one--if any--that you think best suits you.

Don't be surprised if this topic gets locked. Don't shoot the messenger.

EULA discussions are not permitted here because it's a decision you need to make, not a decision someone else can recommend.  

Unfortunately the EULA is often used by commercial members, competitors, and even platform specific fans as an attempt to platform steer a user.  People platform steer because they want to see a majority user base in their preferred platform of choice which will encourage more 3rd party support for their preferred platform.

The EULA is one such method used to platform steer, hence discussions regarding it get locked/removed.

I'll point you to the LM information about License and Usage:

http://www.prepar3d.com/frequently-asked-questions/

and

http://www.prepar3d.com/product-overview/prepar3d-license-comparison/

Cheers, Rob.

EULA discussions are not permitted here because it's a decision you need to make, not a decision someone else can recommend.

I hate to say it but that entire quote sounds like the American political climate as well. lol

-Jim

I hate to say it but that entire quote sounds like the American political climate as well

ha ha ... true ... doesn't Boeing have like 109 lobbyist ... all required to get that 787 in the air and making money for them ... even needed to get a ex-employee a head seat in the FAA. 

Cheers, Rob.

Also, I'm not certain about whether it really concentrates on hardcore flight simming as I read about this underwater operation thingy? I suppose it does as otherwise it probably wouldn't be so popular within flight simmers. If someone using P3D could provide me a quick heads up I'd be very grateful.

P3D simply is an enhanced version of FSX. And mainly enhanced graphically. The underwater thingy is (and probably should be) disabled right away because it hurts performance and isn't needed for flightsimming. So when it comes to simming it offers the exact same as FSX. It's as hardcore as you want to make it yourself. Or not. :wink:

I do wonder in what way you are having problems getting FSX run properly: P3D isn't a magic bullet that will solve underlying OS problems you might have.

Sorry for asking about licenses, I just came across this on the P3D site and it was unclear to me.

I do wonder in what way you are having problems getting FSX run properly: P3D isn't a magic bullet that will solve underlying OS problems you might have.

Performance problems mostly, but also minor issues that can be fixed but are still annoying. P3D on the other hand is newer of course and Lockheed Martin care about their product (updates etc.) unlike Microsoft, stopping after 2 SPs. I read about the eye candy that P3D apparently offers and cockpit shadows alone are a reason I am considering switching. Does P3D have a decent ATC and AI aircraft?

Mods - if this thread is going into a legit help mode - possibly switch title so we don't wind up getting it locked becuz someone decides to start the EULA/license discussion anew.

Vic

Subject Title changed to "P3D Questions".

Does P3D have a decent ATC and AI aircraft?

ATC is the EXACT same as in FSX. Haven't used default AI so don't know about that. The default aircraft which you can fly are different so the AI planes may be different too. The way AI works and performs is also the same as in FSX though afaik. As I said, it's an enhanced version of FSX so most things are similar. The database for airports, VOR, ILS, etc. is still the same old 2006 database too!

P3D simply is an enhanced version of FSX. And mainly enhanced graphically. The underwater thingy is (and probably should be) disabled right away because it hurts performance and isn't needed for flightsimming. So when it comes to simming it offers the exact same as FSX

For the OP: This is nonsense. Read each release from 1.0 to 2.5 and you'll agree.

P3D runs and looks better than FSX ever did. 

MyTraffic 6 officially supports P3D.  However, you can get UT2 working in P3D also with not much effort.  There are some changes that were made to P3D around AI traffic and you probably don't want to use FS9 era AI models in P3D.

P3D works better with more recent hardware both CPU and GPU.  If your expectations are to max all the graphics details with many 3rd party add-ons, then you'll run into VAS/Performance issues in v2.5.  P3D is more demanding of one's hardware than FSX is ... with that said, there is no reason you can't just turn off the P3D specific features (cloud shadows, volumetric fog, tessellation, etc. etc.) that are not in FSX and enjoy the same or better performance.

Yes, development of P3D continues.

Cheers, Rob.

My Traffic 6 works great,  Im getting loads of extra chatter on the default ATC,  i presume its from the extra traffic from My traffic 6,  i didn't think it would effect the default ATC so much,  its great though.  I really hope that statement is correct lol 

VoxATC and MyTraffic 6 play well together and greatly enhance my experience in 2.5.

For the OP: This is nonsense. Read each release from 1.0 to 2.5 and you'll agree.

Could you tell me in what regard I am talking nonsense? Maybe I've missed something but to me P3D really is FSX, only looking a LOT better.

Read. Read every word. Then, ask the programmers how each one of these changes was done. Ask them how many lines of code have been changed. Ask them how many hours were spent toiling through that code, by how many people. I find it offensive that someone could dismiss so easily all the hard work that has gone into this project for the past five years by both paid professionals and beta testers, and further try to convince a newcomer that none of this matters. Your reply to the OP was not only misleading, it's false. It's not a matter of opinion. P3d 2.5 is not basically FSX, it was once, ESP, a commercial simulation program.

From LM website:

Throughout 2014 and 2015, Prepar3D has released five version updates to our v2 license, adding countless features, while optimizing the software for the best performance. One of the features that was added is the Flight Instructor mode, an interactive tool that makes it easier than ever to rapidly create graded flight segments, so that instructors and trainees can create, grade, and debrief flight segments and flying maneuvers in real-time. There were many critical bugs that were fixed that has stabilized our software and has provided our users with the best possible experience.

http://prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/what_is_new/new_v25.html

http://prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/what_is_new/new_v24.html

http://prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/what_is_new/new_v23.html

http://prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/what_is_new/new_v22.html

http://prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/what_is_new/new_v21.html

http://prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/what_is_new/new_v20.html

http://prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/what_is_new/new_v14.html

http://prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/what_is_new/new_v13.html

http://prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/what_is_new/new_v12.html

http://prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/what_is_new/new_v11.html

http://prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/what_is_new/new_v10.html

I find it offensive that someone could dismiss so easily all the hard work that has gone into this project

Offensive... dismiss... I think you read something in my post that I never meant to say. :wink: The question was: "Also, I'm not certain about whether it really concentrates on hardcore flight simming as I read about this underwater operation thingy?" Apparently the OP thought P3D was really something else when it comes to the actual flying. Well, no matter how much better P3D is, it's still the same when it comes to (amongst others) the actual flightsimming that most Avsim users do. I am not dismissing anything because P3D is imho far superior to FSX but again, when it comes to flightsimming, it offers the same as FSX (also proven by the fact that add-on planes for FSX and P3D are completely the same) and mainly graphics (lighting, performance, etc. not textures) have been enhanced. I was just stating a simple fact. It was certainly NOT meant to say something bad about all who contributed to the sim I love.  :wink:

I think you read something in my post that I never meant to say.

That's cool. Glad that you enjoy it as much as I do. I use it as a training tool at home and at the flight training center where we are making use of features that are NOT available in FSX. Just would like the OP to understand exactly what P3D 2.5 is, and what it is not.

That's cool. Glad that you enjoy it as much as I do. I use it as a training tool at home and at the flight training center where we are making use of features that are NOT available in FSX. Just would like the OP to understand exactly what P3D 2.5 is, and what it is not.

Ah, ok, yes, so you are one of the guys who actually do use the new training features! That explains your post even more. But I am glad you posted what you did because if you read something not too positive in my post others might have done so too and I surely don't want that! But I think that's clear by now.  :wink:

Jeroen,

I think the words you used that perhaps caused such a response was "So when it comes to simming it offers the exact same as FSX." and "P3D really is FSX" ... neither of these are accurate even at an opinion level - code has changed and visuals are different and P3D has features FSX doesn't.  

Much compatibility has been retained between P3D and FSX, they are "similar" in some areas but not in others.

I don't think it's that your post is positive or negative, it's more of just not being accurate.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks to everyone who tried to explain what P3D is, I'm switching over to P3D but waiting until v3 is released (which hopefully won't be ages).

According to the LM website my quad core i7 at 3.4 as well as GTX560 at 4GB is more than recommended. Will I be able to run it smoothly? (I'm aware that it depends on a number of other factors too that I'm not mentioning, just an assumption maybe)

Thanks to everyone who tried to explain what P3D is, I'm switching over to P3D but waiting until v3 is released (which hopefully won't be ages).

According to the LM website my quad core i7 at 3.4 as well as GTX560 at 4GB is more than recommended. Will I be able to run it smoothly? (I'm aware that it depends on a number of other factors too that I'm not mentioning, just an assumption maybe)

Just start without any tweaking. Remember the settings in P3D are "stronger" than FSX. Normal in P3D would be like extremely dense in FSX, etc. Fly for a bit at default and then slowly start adjusting until you get a good stable setting. I'd make an image backup at that point. THEN you can start with add-ons.

Have fun -

Vic

I don't think it's that your post is positive or negative, it's more of just not being accurate.

I understand. I think I looked too much at how I use the sim myself, hence forgetting about options that are new but which I don't use. And a simple user like me doesn't think too much about unseen code (sorry, developers!). ;) Those improved visuals luckily can't be missed! :) Which brings me to the following:

Smoothly should be possible but be prepared to lower a few settings. Some of the new visual options may be too much for your system. But also take note that the recommended specs are for v2. Could well be v3 will have higher recommended specs! But even for v2 a CPU at 3.4 isn't much. 4GB on the card is nice but a 560 is pretty old already. So yes, smooth should be possible but don't expect being able to turn on all new P3D eye candy.

@jimmy64,

Is there any chance that some of the SimDirector training features that you are using frequently could result in you providing some tutorials with example scenario files for us P3D users? The examples that L-M have provided just don't help all that much. It would be great to encourage all of us to use some of those features - right now, they seem difficult to get started on.

Thanks much

Dave