Sign in to follow this  
Gh3003

Hypothetical (fun) question

Hi guys -

First of all - i am aware that its a long path and many years of studies to be an airline pilot, so it has got nothing to do with that.

Lets say you master a plane like for example the pmdg 737, or the 747-400 - well, anything from PMDG -

would you be able to land a plane for real if the captain fainted or something?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

That is funny, with a funny answer.  My wife asked me a similar question one time and I responded with a resounding YES.  A few months later, I revisited that question and revised my answer stating "yeah, I could do it, but it may not be very pretty". lol

Hey, any landing you can walk away from is a good landing, right?

-Jim

I agree - as long as one can exit the plane the same way one entered, all is good. It would be cool if it was a story where someone had landed a real plane based on flightsimming :)

Gh3003, prepare for a spanking for even asking.

The main reason I say that is that this same topic has been posted so many times here and heavily debated.

It's almost like the two other most posted questions on Avsim, what's the best AI and what's the best weather engine?

The odds would probably be that you would not make a very good landing hand flying if you've never actually flown an aircraft, but you would probably be able to set up an autoland.

Frankly, even though you think it's a fun hypothetical topic, it's not really worth debating as its already been beaten to death quit a few times here.

Seems im not the only one who think its a fun and interesting question.

The reason i posted it was that i did not found it here - i assume someone already had asked

No worries Gunnar...water off a duck's back.  It's a good question. :)

-Jim

Yes, you would be able, provided you weren't entertained while doing so. You'd risk breaking some EULA in that case.

Always make sure that when you travel, your yoke, Joystick, mouse & keyboard are packed in your hand luggage.Keep an ear out for the call on the PA when the pilot faints...

"Any simmers out there, FS9, FSX or P3D? " Well, if it's a 737, make sure you can find a USB port for your yoke, mouse & keyboard, NEVER a joystick. That can only be used if it's an Airbus. & if you are used to a twist-grip rudder....

Could you land it? Possibly. Would it be pretty? No.  Though commercial flightsims have come a long way, there are too many things that a desktop computer cannot simulate. A lot of it has to do with feeling. Even the expensive Level D sims can feel off compared to the real thing. There is no substitute.

Lol  Robin  

I often thought about being the hero of the day alright and landing a plane in terrible conditions and so on and so on,  unfortunately the reality is different though.   Its always a good and fun question to see different peoples opinions as new folks come on board   

I wonder who will get preference to land the thing, an X-Planer or a P3D'er?

Probably not a FSX:SE'er.

As long as you had Lloyd Bridges and Robert Stack to talk you down, you'd be good to go.

P.S. Do you like to watch movies about gladiators?

I wonder who will get preference to land the thing, an X-Planer or a P3D'er?

Probably not a FSX:SE'er.

I can just imagine the punch-up in the cockpit...

Darn, Holdit.. Now everyone here knows about my 'co-pilot'!  You promised not to tell!!

I can just imagine the punch-up in the cockpit...

Instant banning!

Technical answer:

Odds are there's a doctor on the flight who could help the pilot with the fainting or first aid-trained passenger

Then, there's a co-pilot. You are 100% likely to find one on a >737 commercial flight 

Then there are still good odds a real pilot is already on the flight

Realistically, a simmer would be 103rd on the list to take over following pilot incapacity - after 99 other pax and the 4 cabin crew - some of whom have already received training for just such an emergency.

But if you want to test your theory, you can always buy some simulator time and play out the actual scenario. Just once. No reset button, pause or `disable crash detection` on a real aircraft. Should cost a couple of hundred and let you know your skills or limitations, in very short order.

I recall the test case on the Mythbusters, but neither were pilots nor simmers. It didn't end well.  =@

That said, in the basics, particularly the location and function of the dials, buttons, gauges and instruments, a simmer has a leg-up over a non-flying, non-simming passenger and at least a fighting chance of being able to set up an autoland with the aid of ATC and emergency services. You could also read a checklist as if it wasn't gobbledegook. But I wouldn't bet my life on it. I have allowed a simmer to take controls of my light aircraft and manage not just level flight but also some gentle turns and vertical maneouvres. It wasnt pretty, but they managed it. Long way from coping with a landing though...

There's no way anyone can even start to take a stab at this question without framing the scenario in which you'd be asked to take over.

• How's the weather?
  • What aircraft and how is it equipped?
  • Where are you and/or are you familiar with the airspace (as much as a simmer can be)?
  • What phase of flight are you?
  • What if, as [awful] luck would have it, some sort of failure or malfunction occurs after you take over?
  • Contrary to your "natural" sim environment and state of mind, can you think clearly and work well under extreme pressure and anxiety?

In addition to these variables, I'm sure we could add to the list...

When this question came up, I was instantly reminded of the 90's movie Executive Decision, with Kurt Russell.  Supposedly, his character had been taking flying lessons at some point and then of course, at the end of the movie, he had to manually land a 747 at Dulles...didn't turn out that way and he had to ditch it at some municipal field, the very same one he took the lessons at. If memory serves, his landing wasn't very pretty either! lol

-Jim

In terms of hand-flying, I think it would be incredibly difficult and not end well.

The only advantage I could see is that if this scenario ever happened, the simmer would at least know how to understand instructions from ATC (or whoever was contacted in an emergency) and program in an auto-land. But then you'd also have to stop correctly on the runway, etc.. Plus, you'd need nerves of steel to not panic.

It always makes me laugh when I watch real aviation videos on Youtube (e.g. A 737 cockpit landing video), and there are simmers in the comments section commenting on what the real pilot should have done :-). 

Practical Answer:

An airline will never let a gamer into the cockpit area, no matter how Prepar3d he/she is.

Lol.. I can just hear the PA call..

Is there a doctor in the house plane?

Is there a simmer on the plane?

Then...

Are you a P3D'er? (as you then are able to fly 'not for entertainment') VERY important! & which version?

V3 Beta users have preference please! (you know who you are)

Your name is not Rob, by the way?

Is Elaine not on the plane?

Have you ever flown with a yoke (if Boeing) & pedals?

No, this aircraft is NOT 64bit! & yes, the clouds are 3D!

Yes, ATC is very realistic.

Yes, the raindrops are realistic as well.

Yes, there is more than 1x throttle lever!

Please do not try to re-calibrate the controls...There is no FSUIPC here, nor FSRecorder!

Do you have the PMDG collection? (if Boeing)

Have you ever flown on-line?

Do you belong to VATSIM?

Please do not take selfies in the cockpit.

There is no PAUSE button anywhere.

Pete Dowson is away until 4th October.

I suspect it would be possible - as long as frame rates were high enough, so as not to comporimise the flight model... ;)

I suspect it would be possible - as long as frame rates were high enough, so as not to comporimise the flight model... ;)

:lol:

Practical Answer:

An airline will never let a gamer into the cockpit area, no matter how Prepar3d he/she is.

Lol.. I can just hear the PA call..

Is there a doctor in the house plane?

Is there a simmer on the plane?

Then...

Are you a P3D'er? (as you then are able to fly 'not for entertainment') VERY important! & which version?

V3 Beta users have preference please! (you know who you are)

Your name is not Rob, by the way?

Is Elaine not on the plane?

Have you ever flown with a yoke (if Boeing) & pedals?

No, this aircraft is NOT 64bit! & yes, the clouds are 3D!

Yes, ATC is very realistic.

Yes, the raindrops are realistic as well.

Yes, there is more than 1x throttle lever!

Please do not try to re-calibrate the controls...There is no FSUIPC here, nor FSRecorder!

Do you have the PMDG collection? (if Boeing)

Have you ever flown on-line?

Do you belong to VATSIM?

Please do not take selfies in the cockpit.

There is no PAUSE button anywhere.

Pete Dowson is away until 4th October.

:lol: