Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[09DEC15] End-Of-An-Era: End of Life Information 747-400X and MD-11X

People have been asking for the MD-11 in P3D since P3D came out, and PMDG have responded according to their rights; nobody can argue with that. The difference now is that the MD-11 will no longer be sold, and is effectively abandoned as far as support is concerned. Therefore there is the possibility of PMDG saying that as the MD-11 is no longer sold or supported, those people who already own it are allowed to attempt to run it in P3D, No support, and entirely at the owners risk...but the attempt is allowed, and crucially the EULA is altered to that effect. That's the expanded version of what I was asking.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

Paul,

You probably should have taken a few moments to read other posts in the thread.  Your question was answered- and answered rather succinctly.  For fun and clarity I will do so again:

Your access to using the MD-11 in Prepar3D has nothing whatever to do with the sale/support of the product.  You are bound by the EULA no matter what we do with the product line. 

The determination that it may not be used in Prepar3D results from the fact that Preapr3D is not a consumer platform, but is viewed as a training platform available to industry.  PMDG have no interest in purchasing and maintaining the liability insurance required to introduce this product into Prepar3D, and as such we have chosen not to allow it to be used in that manner.

None of this is new.  None of this has changed.  Nor will it change- unless you would like to cover that insurance contract on our behalf?  I would be happy to have you fund it if you like.  :wink:

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Robert, I know you are probably sick to death of people asking the MD11-in-P3D question over recent years, but as I've never had my turn, I thought I'd take the opportunity while there was still time. :Tounge:  :wink:

Seriously though, you mention liability insurance: presumably this is to cover you in the event that someone flies an MD-11 in real life, and makes an error that can be traced back to his use of the PMDG MD-11 as a training aid, yes ? If that is so, presumably the simulated aircraft has to be certified as a training aid by authorities such as your FAA, and that there is no liability on your part if said aircraft is not certified ( or even de-certified ). Otherwise where would Aerosoft stand with their Airbus, or Dino Cataneo with his F-35, which has been adopted by LM as a default aircraft.

Or am I reading too much into it ?

I accept that you have no intention of licensing the MD-11 for P3D and 'case closed' in that regard, but this liability insurance matter is interesting, and certainly not something I'd ever considered as a concern for developers. Maybe you've explained it before - I'll do a search, but if you or someone else can point me to more information on the matter, I'd be grateful.

In the meantime, Merry Christmas to you and all at PMDG. Roll on the 747 ! :smile:

• Upvote 1

Do we know what the most current Nvidia driver version is that still works well with the MD-11? 

Milton Kuser - KDFW

The liability issue has been well described from the very beginning of PMDG's entrance into the P3D market, and Robert has made it clear it's not going to change, so please let's stop beating a dead horse.

Tom Cain

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Do we know what the most current Nvidia driver version is that still works well with the MD-11? 

I'm using the latest driver and am currently climbing above 11k out of Amsterdam in the MD-11. Works great so far!

Never had the MD-11 but I am going to have a go at the Queen when she arrives on our shore. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

The liability issue has been well described from the very beginning of PMDG's entrance into the P3D market, and Robert has made it clear it's not going to change, so please let's stop beating a dead horse.

Tom Cain

Do you have to be so rude ? I was merely asking for more information, because I wasn't aware that flight sim developers risk liabilities that require insurance. The request was purely out of interest.

• Upvote 1

Seriously though, you mention liability insurance: presumably this is to cover you in the event that someone flies an MD-11 in real life, and makes an error that can be traced back to his use of the PMDG MD-11 as a training aid, yes ? If that is so, presumably the simulated aircraft has to be certified as a training aid by authorities such as your FAA, and that there is no liability on your part if said aircraft is not certified ( or even de-certified ). Otherwise where would Aerosoft stand with their Airbus, or Dino Cataneo with his F-35, which has been adopted by LM as a default aircraft.

Or am I reading too much into it ?

We've made it pretty clear in the past that, unless someone is from LM, from Boeing, or a lawyer for us, that someone's interpretations of legal liability aren't of any interest to us.

The MD-11 is not going to P3D. End of discussion.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle, I wasn't making interpretations - the topic is of interest, I wasn't aware PMDG risked liabilities and required insurance for them.

Never mind. as you say, end of discussion.

Any chance of PMDG offering the MD-11 "as is," no support, at a reduced price after December 15th? One example is the Ready For

Pushback 747-200 for FS9 that they started giving away for free after, I presume, sales fell off.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Any chance of PMDG offering the MD-11 "as is," no support, at a reduced price after December 15th? One example is the Ready For

Pushback 747-200 for FS9 that they started giving away for free after, I presume, sales fell off.

Mike

Not an option for various reasons, sorry.

Kyle Rodgers

Mike

Mike,

This was discussed internally.  Unfortunately there are a number of reasons we cannot do this.  Some are contractual, others are related to licensing costs.  Still more are legal...

Sometimes I wish we didn't have to keep legal counsel on staff, but PMDG is quite a bit more than just what you guys see day-to-day, and in the world we live in...  we need to accept their advice to keep us off the rocks and shoals.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Mike,

This was discussed internally.  Unfortunately there are a number of reasons we cannot do this.  Some are contractual, others are related to licensing costs.  Still more are legal...

Sometimes I wish we didn't have to keep legal counsel on staff, but PMDG is quite a bit more than just what you guys see day-to-day, and in the world we live in...  we need to accept their advice to keep us off the rocks and shoals.

Mike,

Robert & Kyle, Thanks for your responses.  It's just that I can't quite bring myself to spend the current price as I will be buying the 747 v2 and expect to spend most of my time learning and flying that aircraft (along w. the 777 and NGX).  I only have a limited amount of time for flight simulation. From what people who have it say universally, I'm missing out  on an excellent simulation.

BTW, just to be clear, my RFP example was never meant to imply that you should give  it away. 

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2