Sign in to follow this  
joejccva71

To DX10 or not, that is the question

So curious, what are the advantages of using DX10 vs using DX9 and ENB/SweetFX and Reshade?

I've been using DX10 but I find that the graphics just aren't good enough.

Number one reason: VC shadows.

Go buy the dx10 fixer, a must have.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

DX10 reduces a lot of stuttering for me, and gives me a few more FPS. (If you do go DX10 I would recommend getting Steve's DX10 Fixer). Only thing I don't like is that my fps limiter in Nvidia Inspector doesn't hold it exactly at 30 so I get spikes up to 35-40 and then that produces stutters, and there was a good FPS limiter that worked in DX9

Jim Schroeder

i9 9900k @ 5.0ghz | Gigabyte GTX1080ti | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3600 

Better water, better performance, cockpit shadows.

Just superior in every way to DX9 but you do need the DX10 fixer, that's the game changer

• Upvote 1

Dx9 + enb = instability for me (ctd)

Dx10 fixer = superior rendering if you think VC shadows are important (and host of other fixes mentioned above).

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Dx9 + enb = instability for me (ctd)

Dx10 fixer = superior rendering if you think VC shadows are important (and host of other fixes mentioned above).

Ok great.

Is there any way you have time to tell me what you have your AA set to in Nvidia inspector?  Also, wouldn't suppose you could share your fsx.cfg just so I can match up what you have your settings to?

I know every system is different but wanted to just compare.

If you don't wish to, it's ok I will understand.  I just want to make sure I'm setting this correctly.

as others mentioned in your other thread, the yt vids are post processed or use emb.

you can calibrate your monitor by using the windows display config utility, it can improve the iq of fs.  

btw using 8x csaa, 4x sgss with dx10 fixer.  

If you must have the effects that the ENB mod provides, you will probably not be happy with DX10 mode since it's effects are not the same and there is no right or wrong about this as to which is "better"; it's only a matter of opinion.

I abandoned using ENB years ago, before even switching to DX10.  Though its effects are compelling, it also adds a soft focus to everything which eventually drove me nuts.  I concur with all the above statements on using DX10 mode and I'll never use DX9 mode again. 

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Number one reason: VC shadows.

Go buy the dx10 fixer, a must have.

Is DX10 Fixer back for sale? If so where do you buy it?

Vic green

Yes, buy the Fixer and use it! I haven't gone back to DX9 since. A properly set up FSX using DX10 with the Fixer and correctly configured AA settings can look just as good as P3D in my opinion.

Although ENB doesn't work as this is limited to DX9, it is my understanding that SweetFX and Shade will work under DX10.

You're also giving yourself more VAS headroom by enabling DX10, since 'some' of the graphics resource is shifted to the GPUs memory rather than sharing system memory, maybe allowing you to use higher settings at intensive airports with a little more confidence that you won't hit an OOM. Although it doesn't completely eliminate them, there is no magic bullet unfortunately. You can still get there if you push hard enough.

Frankly if it wasn't for the Fixer and being able to enable DX10, I'd have given up on FSX years ago, and probably moved to P3D. For me it has given it a new lease of life. If you have FSX SP2/Acceleration (or Steam Edition), Windows 7 or above, and a capable graphics card - which every simmer should have by now - it should be enabled, in my opinion.

Steve's DX10 Fixer is definitely in my 'must haves' for Flight Sim add ons.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

Steve's DX10 Fixer is definitely in my 'must haves' for Flight Sim add on

I saw some statement regarding using the fixer with FSX-SE (about standard shaders) any feedback on using the Fixer with FSX-SE?

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020