Sign in to follow this  
RancidViper

Need help building my new rig!

Hi all,

It's finally time to upgrade my PC and dive head first into the awesome world of P3D, and I'm doing everything to make sure I don't leave any holes with my rig. Here is the current list I've got, please feel free to tell me if there are better options. :smile:

Intel i7 6700K Processor Skylake

GA-H170-HD3 Motherboard ATX Gaming

Corsair H75 Water Cooling Fan

2 x 8GB 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL15 DIMM RAM

Geforce GTX980ti 6Gb Graphics

Thoughts?

What power supply, do you plan to install windows 10? With that setup you may have to. SSD or HDD?

Hey, unfortunately I don't have the exact details of the power supply, but the guy said on the email that it's upgraded to suit the 980ti as I was previously quoted for a gtx970. It comes with windows 10, and i'll be installing P3D on a 240GB SSD.

Looks pretty good. I am assuming you are planning to overclock, right?

I am planning to, as of now though I have no idea how to. Guess i'll have to do a lot of reading, which is fine, but first things first. :smile:

Hey, unfortunately I don't have the exact details of the power supply, but the guy said on the email that it's upgraded to suit the 980ti as I was previously quoted for a gtx970. It comes with windows 10, and i'll be installing P3D on a 240GB SSD.

I am planning to, as of now though I have no idea how to. Guess i'll have to do a lot of reading, which is fine, but first things first. :smile:

These day OC is extremely easy,

Start from here

http://rog.asus.com/454262015/overclocking/guide-overclocking-core-i7-6700k-on-the-maximus-viii-extreme/

What power supply, do you plan to install windows 10? With that setup you may have to. SSD or HDD?

Yes, Win10 makes another power play:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/amitchowdhry/2016/01/18/microsoft-monday-new-windows-10-free-rule-windows-7-and-8-loses-support-word-flow-coming-to-ios/#2715e4857a0b5b99e7641e7a

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Thanks mate! Really appreciate it, will have a good read through!

...then be careful with your motherboard. Z- chipset is the one to prefer when overclocking. (http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2099-intel-chipset-comparison-z170-h170-h110

Interesting.. You say be careful, are there any known risks you know of with overclocking on the one I have selected?

EDIT : Just having a read through that link, seems like it has all the info I need. Thanks for that mate, just hope it doesn't stretch the wallet much more than it already is! :smile:

I have the Corsair 110i GTX water cooler and it keeps my 6700K @ 4.7 under 60C during RealBench....check it out, worth the money if you ask me. Make sure if you buy that one to get a case that is compatible with it.  

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

i would choose a better montherboard to be honest, i am using the gigabyte z170 gaming 7 and very unhappy with the amount a usb ports,saitek hardware doesn't seem to like my 3.0 and 3.1 ports at all. i would count the usb ports on the one you are buying, if you plan on using alot of hardware, buy a really good usb hub.i am using the 6700k and 980ti as well, don't go cheap on the board.just my opinion.

I have the Corsair 110i GTX water cooler and it keeps my 6700K @ 4.7 under 60C during RealBench....check it out, worth the money if you ask me. Make sure if you buy that one to get a case that is compatible with it.  

Yep, have exactly the same experience with the same cooler and CPU. Would like to jump toward 4.8/1.36-1.37 this coming weekend and see how the temperatures will go.

GA-H170-HD3 Motherboard ATX Gaming

I would agree with Rich. ROG, or Z170-A Z170 Deluxe Z170 Premium. If you can afford the stunning Maximus VIII Formula you will probably fall in love and want to marry it.

https://pcdiy.asus.com/2016/01/rogs-maximus-viii-formula-redefines-the-math-for-premium-pcs/

Corsair H75 Water Cooling Fan

You can do better. For air, Noctua NH-D15S, zero chance of leaks and no pump to fail after a few years. For water, Corsair H110 would be my choice.

2 x 8GB 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL15 DIMM RAM

I would suggest RAM designed for Skylake. Namely Ripjaw V 3200 MHz.

Hey, unfortunately I don't have the exact details of the power supply, but the guy said on the email that it's upgraded to suit the 980ti as I was previously quoted for a gtx970.

Don't stand for that nonsense. "They could easily palm you off with a chepo PSU. The PSU is the heart of the system, vital it's a quality unit. Find out the make and model and check out the reviews. 

Don't stand for that nonsense. "They could easily palm you off with a chepo PSU. The PSU is the heart of the system, vital it's a quality unit. Find out the make and model and check out the reviews. 

What he said! A good PSU is so important in a high performance system, particularly if you want to overclock. Cheap PSUs often don't produce their rated outputs and if they do the stability is usually poor. Go for a known brand name like Corsair, OCZ, Antec, Silverstone, Coolermaster, XFX to name just a few.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Thanks a bunch guys! Really appreciate it! I have emailed my computer guy and asked for the PSU details, also asked about upgrading the board to the Z-170, the Ripjaw RAM and H110 water cooler so just waiting on a response from him. I will update this thread as soon as he gets back to me.

Cheers!