Sign in to follow this  
Pastaiolo

News on DTG Simulator is coming soon!

I have never been happier with my flight sim as the last few weeks. And I have been simming for a few decades already. I love it to death. If this new sim kind of offers what I love in my current sim I will have a look at it and if I like what I see, I might get it and I might even ditch my current sim and love the new one if it is really good. Until then I couldn't care less about this new one. I have far better things to do than think about question no one knows the answer too and speculating about something which might never come true. I will see it when it's there. Nothing much to see before that, is there?

It's a good thing something new is on the horizon though: that will keep all developers alert and it will only improve the awesome sims we have already. These are great times for flightsimmers so keep it positive and don't drown yourself in negativism. No use in that. Waste of time. I don't understand the moaning. Enjoy what you've got and maybe you will get something better in the future. We'll see. Until then: happy flying in whatever sim you currently have the privilege to enjoy.

Seriously, neither do I

Perhaps the fault is in expecting possibly several hundred thousand people to not have wildly varying desires.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

IMO something that needs serious overhaul in FSX engine is helicopter flight dynamics.

Helicopters in FSX behave totally unrealistic and only external code can save the day, which is the case with the Dodosim 206, the Aerosoft Huey and HTR (Helicopter Total Realism) module.

As incomplete XPlane 10 feels in various areas, its helicopter flight dynamics are a dream come true. Coupled with some really great 3rd party models that exploit XPlane's potential to the max, there is simply no comparison in the helicopter department.

I hope DTG moves in the right direction and enhances flight dynamics, especially for helicopters.

• Upvote 2

Any helicopters they release, I will gladly crash, since that's just about all i can do with them......  :p0504:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

After just reading all 33 pages of this thread, I have come to one general conclusion:

No matter what happens, I'm glad to see flight sim alive and well. I got my CPL because of flight sim and simming is something I think about everyday. I can't wait for the fall. And if it disappoints we still have other options.

Cheers everyone!

• Upvote 5

supporter.jpg

Okay, I understand this thinking.

But from a business perspective, DTG probably does not have the resources to make a brand new engine. That would take years of work and loads of licensing of to rebuild the scenery and terrain databases that Microsoft had put together in their 20 years of MSFS development. It would be incredibly expensive. There's a reason Lockheed Martin has not done this either and money is probably the bottom line.

In the end, it makes more business sense to make incremental changes instead of reinventing the wheel. I think we'll see two year release cycles.

As developer of the your excellent mesh, could you give us an idea, in general terms, what you would be facing; porting the product to 64 bit?

An engine yes but no scenery except for Hawaii. So that would require DTG to rebuild an entire world of terrain, water bodys, airports, airfields, dirt/grass strips, cities and etc

No they wouldn't. Stonelance long ago published a toolset to migrate FSX scenery to Flight. If one man could do it, surely the team at DTG could do the same thing. :dance:

What disappoints me the most is that DTG should have taken the mostly developed "FSXI" code base that the nice ACES programmers were developing and used it is the basis for their new sim release.

This would have been a "Shared World Model" that would have been used for both a flight sim and a train sim.

• Upvote 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

As developer of the your excellent mesh, could you give us an idea, in general terms, what you would be facing; porting the product to 64 bit?

Since these files are essentially just static data files that are read into a program, it may be that these files are already compatible. The same may apply for other scenery addons that don't hook into any custom .dll programs.

If they've decided to change their terrain framework, then I may have to spend quite a bit of time recompiling elevation data. But I'm thinking former outcome is more probable than the other.

The focus of changes will more likely follow that of LM's track record: improvements in graphics and rendering performance while fundamental systems (terrain, scenery, flight models) are largely ignored.

I have never been happier with my flight sim as the last few weeks. And I have been simming for a few decades already. I love it to death. If this new sim kind of offers what I love in my current sim I will have a look at it and if I like what I see, I might get it and I might even ditch my current sim and love the new one if it is really good. Until then I couldn't care less about this new one. I have far better things to do than think about question no one knows the answer too and speculating about something which might never come true. I will see it when it's there. Nothing much to see before that, is there?

It's a good thing something new is on the horizon though: that will keep all developers alert and it will only improve the awesome sims we have already. These are great times for flightsimmers so keep it positive and don't drown yourself in negativism. No use in that. Waste of time. I don't understand the moaning. Enjoy what you've got and maybe you will get something better in the future. We'll see. Until then: happy flying in whatever sim you currently have the privilege to enjoy.

I hear you "J" I hear you, and I remember so well our enthusiasm, and your dedication to the user community in times of MS FLIGHT. Let's just hope this turn around it continues, for long years, to provide us with the joy using MS FLIGHT did!

And yes, rotary wing renewed flight dynamics would be a great addition, but I doubt it'll come right at the start of this new series... This was also the reason why I migrated to DCS, and am staying there for good until something really worth the change happens regarding helicopters....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

The graphics engine is an evolution of the engine in Microsoft Flight Simulator X. Initially, we needed to overhaul it to support DirectX 11. Following that, we enhanced it with some up to date techniques such as globally applied high dynamic range rendering (HDR) and atmospheric light scattering. For aircraft and other high detail models we have added support for physically based rendering (PBR). Our development team continue to refine and enhance the capabilities of the engine further as we head towards launch. 

Likewise both simulators will include a free flight mode for simmers who want to go and explore the whole world. 

- Martin

CASE: Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 5 MB: Msi Z590 Tomahawk CPU: Intel i7 11700K RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 2400 MHz COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120 HD: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB GPU: Nvidia (Asus A8G) GTX 1080 PSU: Cooler Master V750 FAN: Cooler Master MasterFan Pro 120 Air Flow RGB (x4).

302318.png     Lorenzo Guidotti

As I am mainly a low and slow type of flyer,using P3dv3 and Orbx scenery,I now get a regular 50fps and to my tired eye,s it looks good,sharp,no AA issue,s and virtually no stutters and I can not remember the last time I had a oom,So after nearly 500 interesting post,s I am left  wondering what DTG 64 bit will actually improve for me?

Peter

Yay, so, after 491 posts, this is what we REALLY know.

1. DTG releasing a Training sim (closed platform - no add-ons) in April

2. DTG releasing a sim after that. (open platform, whole world, same as FSX)

3. A lot of people very upset that DTG is not using the Flight! engine.

4. A lot of people very upset that they are using the FSX engine.

5. A lot of people did not realise that, as DTG already had the dev licence, or whatever, for FSX, it is really no surprise that they would develop an FSX based sim.

6. They will be 64bit & DX11

7. A lot of people do not realise that, as it is a new sim, add-ons must be paid for, where applicable.

8. A lot of people are saying that this is the 'death' of P3D! (a commercial sim, not intended for the likes of us anyway!)

9. A lot of people spelt flight with an F, expecting a Flight sim engine.. (redundant!)

Methinks it looks like the training missions have been separated from FSX, repackaged & will be sold as a new product.

• Upvote 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Okay, so lets say DTG have improved performance and rendering but kept all else untouched, what does that actually MEAN?  I bet many can't coherently explain how that'll all pan out for the end user.

Doesn't the fact that it's now a 64 bit sim and DX11 capable,  change what you are able to do with scenery/terrain, i.e.  Higher resolution, more detail (with better overall performance of the core sim?  Doesn't 64 bit and DX11 fundementally make this a new sim at its core?  What is everyone stressing about?  I'm pretty sure that the sim will look and feel quite different.  Within a few months the default terrain and mesh and just about everything else will have 3rd party replacements anyway....

Every few months I fall in love with simming all over again, and this Valantine's weekend was one of this times.  I step away for a few weeks bored and frustrated and I come back loving it again ..  So P3D is not going anywhere for me.  DTG is, as far as I see it -  a massive bonus for all of us.  If it goes well and follows expectations of hardcore simmers, we've struck the jackpot.  If it doesn't go well for us, then P3D will soon enough come out with more evolution of its own and I'll still be happy.  This is a win-win situation for us all - not a melodrama.

The talk about a 'Virtual' PPL.

We actually have done VPPL's at our VA for many years now. We get certified, after a intensive practical test after all the training stuff within the sim has been completed.

This 'VPPL' is actually recognised by the Aero Club of South Africa, & is a requisite when entering international competitions where national colours are rewarded.

So, i'm sure that, similar to FSX, & FS9, for the matter, whenever you complete a training mission/course in the Training sim, you will be able to print out a certificate that is probably recognised by DTG & you can go onto their leaderboard?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

The talk about a 'Virtual' PPL.

I don't think that's really going to float anyone's boat here.  For a simming club sure, but it all comes down to the execution of the programming.  I thought the FSX/FS9 attempts were abysmal.