Sign in to follow this  
Pastaiolo

News on DTG Simulator is coming soon!

Remember, no matter what we think, or demand, these guys are answerable to their shareholders, not us! (as seen when Microsoft dumped Flight!) 

Who do you think LM shareholders are? The users of P3D?

Seriously? Please.

• Upvote 2

Isn't that want they do with their train sim? You buy lines?

Yes, that's what they do. But you also have to consider how a train is forced to follow a certain path while planes are more free.

As for the Flight technology, in this same forum, in the Microsoft Flight section, there are users that ported the FSX global scenery into Microsoft Flight.

Morning all.

My speculation is as follows..

Firstly, DTG originally talked about Microsoft's flight technology ------ with a small f!

Secondly, DTG is a gaming company ------- Trains & Fishing

Thirdly, DTG releases their products through Steam ---------- Largest gaming distributor around, with the largest gaming target market.

It is obvious that DTG needs to monetise whatever they will release. It should be more obvious that, simmers are actually a minute part of Steam's market, with gamers being the majority.

It makes sense that the gamer target market  would then be where the money is, for DTG, Steam & the DLC developers.

Or not?

Remember, no matter what we think, or demand, these guys are answerable to their shareholders, not us! (as seen when Microsoft dumped Flight!) 

Right, do you remember what the great FSX simulator is without all the addons (aka DLCs) that came after it?

Do you consider the vanilla planes in FSX a simulations, or something that the "simmers" would enjoy? Nope.

You still, after months, continue to split the playerbase between arcade and simmers. We were all arcade players at one point, we just developed more interest/passion into the subject and were offered more instruments to further develop it.

The same can happen with DTG game (just like FSX, FS9, xplane and P3D are games, no matter how people want to view them or what they do)

• Upvote 1

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Erm... as I said at the beginning of my post.. It is my SPECULATION only!

I'm not splitting the player base, I'm only speculating as to what we can or may expect.

Just as everyone else is doing.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Right, do you remember what the great FSX simulator is without all the addons (aka DLCs) that came after it?

Do you consider the vanilla planes in FSX a simulations, or something that the "simmers" would enjoy? Nope.

Precisely. FSX and p3d default aircraft are embarrassing. But that's not what makes us all use these platforms. It's the PMDG and Orbx and A2A addons (aka DLC) that makes us fans. We pay for everything in these sims. From small airstrips to planes both big and small. So to expect a sim to come out of the box and blow your socks off with true to life aircraft is a expectation that is bound to disappoint you.

Also, as for the "steam is for gamers" nonsense, that is an uninformed statement. Steam is the distribution platform for DCS world which is the most advanced flight sim in existence. It is also where a ton of professional applications are distributed. It's like calling Amazon a book store.

At the end of the day, people should be happy that we have a new choice. I, like everyone here, have no idea what we will ultimately see, but for people to state so authoritatively that this sim will be some DLC money grab, is just silly. Look at what you are using now and then think about it again. DTG makes the best train simulator on the market, to think that they will suddenly create some watered down flight sim with their experience and track record, makes no sense. But again, we will just have to see.

• Upvote 6

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Just like every single addon developer you've ever bought a product from.

Not quite every, If you buy all the DLC for their Train Simulator the total comes to a staggering $5,475.46.

Not quite every, If you buy all the DLC for their Train Simulator the total comes to a staggering $5,475.46.

That's not the point. The point TheFlightSimGuy was making was about the fact that just like in Train Sim you buy content to have either additional routes or locomotives, here we buy additional content with planes and airports and textures and so on. And it's not like the price of those addons are much different from those on Train Sim.

The only difference is how many DLCs are sold on train sim.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

I'm not sure I understand your point. They don't force anyone to buy their DLC, just like you're not forced to buy the thousands of dollars worth of FSX/P3D addons out there (yet people do anyway). I also don't see what's wrong with them giving users a variety of options. Not to mention, they have to support their development team somehow. Releasing a base product and not selling any additional content won't fund further development very well. They're a business with full sets of teams and offices. They have to make money somehow.

• Upvote 3

Brandon Filer

Precisely. FSX and p3d default aircraft are embarrassing. But that's not what makes us all use these platforms. It's the PMDG and Orbx and A2A addons (aka DLC) that makes us fans. We pay for everything in these sims. From small airstrips to planes both big and small. So to expect a sim to come out of the box and blow your socks off with true to life aircraft is a expectation that is bound to disappoint you.

Not only their default aircraft are embarrassing. Those simulators themselves, no matter which version, are.

Is there a chance that they are working with addon scenery developers (orbx) and aircraft developers (carenado) to supply all the DLC and they keep their cut?

My guess would be a hybrid, perhaps using Flight as a base and building FSX features on top. I remember asking them a similar question and was told that their deal includes both FSX and Flight. I'd look for the comment, but it's buried deep in one of their Facebook posts from many months back.

I forget nothing....... nothing!!! Muwahahahahaha!

(Except where I put my car keys......)  :huh:

dtg_flight_zpsffyicvsk.png

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I think the discriminant factor people are arguing here, is whether DTG flight sim will have basic real world aviation functionalities (navaids, support for AI and ATC) and basic worldwide capabilities (round earth, worldwide base scenery).

If they provide this and an improved rendering engine (over FSX), I don't see anything that would make it inferior to P3D. On the contrary, the vast exposure on Steam would give it a major advantage in terms of userbase.

Now, it seems they're using MS Flight technology at least for the visual engine. Will they also add the above mentioned features to it (if it's possible to do that)?

"Society has become so fake that the truth actually bothers people".

I forget nothing....... nothing!!! Muwahahahahaha!

(Except where I put my car keys......)  :huh:

dtg_flight_zpsffyicvsk.png

Wow, I'm impressed. Good job finding that!

I think the discriminant factor people are arguing here, is whether DTG flight sim will have basic real world aviation functionalities (navaids, support for AI and ATC) and basic worldwide capabilities (round earth, worldwide base scenery).

If they provide this and an improved rendering engine (over FSX), I don't see anything that would make it inferior to P3D. On the contrary, the vast exposure on Steam would give it a major advantage in terms of userbase.

Now, it seems they're using MS Flight technology at least for the visual engine. Will they also add the above mentioned features to it (if it's possible to do that)?

Flight actually had VORs, NDBs, and DMEs in its scenery and they were shown on the map (I believe all of the world's navaids that FSX had were still there). You could even navigate using them. Flight also has a round earth, minus the actually scenery/terrain, you just can't go anywhere besides Hawaii and Alaska unless you use Stonelance's Flight Toolkit to convert your FSX scenery over to it. For example, here's a screenshot in southern California.

bLeiDKV.jpg

Brandon Filer

up coming announcements always bring these ah...ump..ah discussions. Given the fact that computer speeds and new tech has slowed a bit over the past couple of years, my question is what do you guys want in a flight sim that is not already in our world of flight sims. Now be real here and consider that there are many restrictions based on what is currently possible and AVSIM is or was designed to lean more toward simulating and not gaming. Yes I understand that can be a bit of a gray area. The truth is, short of a ground up rewrite of new code, DTG can not offer much in the way of an advance. It only makes sense that they are going in the direction of a more game type release. It is almost certain to be an attempt to merge FSX and Flight. So....A better more complete version of Flight combined with a possible watered down version of FSX. Just look at the mess that Dev's have now keeping up with FSX-FSX-SE, Prepar3d, xplane 10. At some point dev's will have to limit how many sims they can support. So we all like shinny new stuff but you may need to be a bit careful what you wish for here.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

I always though flight looked just like FSX. Regardless if it isn't 64bit then this new sim will be pointless. Instead of using Microsoft's Flight technology they should have used Outtera and OSM type data to make a realistic world where the Graphics are amazing and so is the performance.

• Upvote 1

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

This is no offense to you personally Ric, but I do get very tired about hearing that $5000+ number get brought up every time the conversation involves Dovetail Games, or DLC pricing models in general.  People look at it as some sort of great evil that's being perpetrated on the general gaming (or simming) public.  This conversation comes up more often that you'd think in general gaming articles. "Oooh look at the evil games publisher, trying to milk their user base for thousands of dollars."

Full stop on that for a second.  (I'm going to use Canadian dollars, since it's what Steam gives me for where I live, and so all of the TS2016 DLC on Steam comes to $5907.84 CAD)

Here's another number, for anyone interested: $4088.91

That's the total, converted to Canadian dollars, for all Orbx scenery addons.

Now, I'm not saying that everyone owns every single thing that Orbx has created, but quite a few of us own at least a little bit of it, if not a fair lot.  I bet I personally fall in the lower third to half (I'm actually a bit scared to total mine up!).  I also own a large bit of other addons from a lot of other developers, some of the same for multiple platforms even. Think of all the airports, mesh, weather addons, aircraft, helicopters, replacement sound sets, night lighting... I suspect there's a large amount of fellow simmers who have bought and continue to buy this stuff, just like me.

And that's not even taking into account the vast amount of money we sink into top notch hardware in order to run our flight simulators at an acceptable level of performance. 

But the difference is that we also are quite aware of the time and effort that goes into good scenery, or a detailed, accurate aircraft. Or a professionally recorded sound set.  Or meticulously created texture replacements.  And to us it's generally worth the money, which is why we continue to buy it.

So it boggles my mind when the same group of people that hasn't hesitated in spending large amounts of money on addons is so aghast at the idea of spending large amounts of money on DLC.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Dovetail is more than capable of making the wrong choices and screwing things up.  If they make the platform developer unfriendly, if their licensing terms are too strict for other companies to play along, if they decide that their new world doesn't need some of the things we feel it must have... there's still going to be a lot of scrutiny from the hardcore simmer crowd, and it's not wrong that it's present.

But the existence of DLC... well, I'm pretty sure that we should be okay with that.

• Upvote 7

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.