Sign in to follow this  
Pastaiolo

News on DTG Simulator is coming soon!

Plus Win 7 has been so stable for me frankly I hate to rock the boat.

This is exactly why Win 7 remains on my gaming/simming PC.  I have Win 8.1 on my laptop, and no desire to upgrade there either.  Everything works, really, really well, so I see no compelling reason to upgrade yet.

I'm fine paying for addons for a sim as long as they're good honest addons (e.g. New planes, scenery, airports), but I draw the line at paying for something that was deliberately left out to force people to cough up more money, e.g Imagine having to pay to turn on the VORs. If I see Dovetail pulling tricks like this, I'm out on day one

Indeed.  I expect a DLC based system, coming from DTG, but let's hope that they don't stick too much behind that sort of paywall.

My other serious concern with DTG in charge of a new sim, is that in catering to a casual market they might 'forget' to provide compatibility with our hardware.  I do own Train simulator, and enjoy it quite a bit, but one of my bigger frustrations is the lack of hardware support.  I mean, it drives me nuts that I have all these various devices in my simpit, yet it doesn't want me to use anything other than an xBox controller.  It's not like locos have a ton of controls, either...

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

yet it doesn't want me to use anything other than an xBox controller.  It's not like locos have a ton of controls, either...

You could also try raildriver......... http://raildriver.com/products/raildriver.php

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

You could also try raildriver......... http://raildriver.com/products/raildriver.php

The point is that I already own a ton of devices, both commercial and scratch built.  If all of my various flight controllers are plugged in, I have something like 24 axis and ten kazillion* buttons free to assign to whatever.  I don't want to spend $200 on a specialized device when I shouldn't need it.

* Ten kazillion might be a bit of an exaggeration. I may only have between 3 and 4 kazillion.

The problem lies with how Train Simulator is not designed out of the box to assign actions to generic buttons and axis to anything but a keyboard or a xBox controller.  It's hard to believe that someone, sitting in the DTG offices, hasn't looked at the Saitek 3 Axis Quadrant, and thought "Man, that thing would work great as a brake and throttle controller!"

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I have a feeling this will be MS Flight reborn. Even if this sim/game does blow P3D away on the graphics front, they are going to have a hard time getting simmers to switch over, especially those who have thousands invested in addons for FSX. For some reason many people think it's a crime to install and use another simulator at the same time as FSX/P3D.

I'm fine paying for addons for a sim as long as they're good honest addons (e.g. New planes, scenery, airports), but I draw the line at paying for something that was deliberately left out to force people to cough up more money, e.g Imagine having to pay to turn on the VORs. If I see Dovetail pulling tricks like this, I'm out on day one  :smile: . I hope Dovetail allow third-parties to develop paid/free add ons without having to pay them for the privilege

If users went from FS9 to FSX and then P3D, users will also go for this as long as it's something attractive.

Regarding the second point, how is that different from a certain company i won't name who made the owners of their addon on FSX pay for the same addons with the same content on P3D also? Or another one that makes you pay more to get Navigraph support?

Dovetail on TrainSim allowed some selected parties to develop their own addons, and some others, i think, are even selling their content outside Steam :)

Indeed.  I expect a DLC based system, coming from DTG, but let's hope that they don't stick too much behind that sort of paywall.

My other serious concern with DTG in charge of a new sim, is that in catering to a casual market they might 'forget' to provide compatibility with our hardware.  I do own Train simulator, and enjoy it quite a bit, but one of my bigger frustrations is the lack of hardware support.  I mean, it drives me nuts that I have all these various devices in my simpit, yet it doesn't want me to use anything other than an xBox controller.  It's not like locos have a ton of controls, either...

DLCs per se are nothing different from what we have here, really. Just like in flightsim, on Trainsim too there are payware addons and also free content too.

As for the controls, well, at least on trains there aren't a lot to be used so i can see how they didn't plan on making you use that hardware because they consider the keyboard layout to be easy enough (and it kinda is imho).

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

DLCs per se are nothing different from what we have here, really. Just like in flightsim, on Trainsim too there are payware addons and also free content too.

I agree, Honestly, I've seen nothing from the DLC offered on Steam that differs from the norm.

Here are some of the DLCs currently sold through DTG and Steam:

• FS Global 2010
  • Accu-Feel
  • FTX Trees
  • RAAS Professional
  • REX Texture Direct 4
  • 3D Lights Redux
  • ORBX Friday Harbor
  • Active Sky Next

It's not like they are selling repaints for $6 a pop.

As for the controls, well, at least on trains there aren't a lot to be used so i can see how they didn't plan on making you use that hardware because they consider the keyboard layout to be easy enough (and it kinda is imho).

My original point was that if they apply that same sort of short-sighted design process to their upcoming flight simulator, any sim enthusiast that owns a good deal of hardware will likely pass on it.  The idea that a user should be limited to a single control scheme is extremely outdated.

Another bit of short-sighted design in Train Simulator is the fact that I had to use a hex editor to edit the configuration file to allow use of my 32" monitor at it's native resolution...

But that said, let's give them the benefit of the doubt & wait for their announcement.  If you look at anything hard enough, you'll be sure to find blemishes.  I actually rather enjoy Train Simulator, just as I found a lot to like about MS Flight.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

OK so since my last post it boils down to everyone wants the same things that are already offered with the exception of one guy who either wants some kind of super computer so that he can do anythings he wants with it or his last hope is that DTG can after a few months, produce a form of programming that defies any know tech out there today and will just out of the blue give us 100 FPS and run all the old software from 2004 until today. It all gets back to I want everything now and I don't want to spend any money. Good luck but I don't think much will change except maybe another half baked game to further erode our hobby.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

My original point was that if they apply that same sort of short-sighted design process to their upcoming flight simulator, any sim enthusiast that owns a good deal of hardware will likely pass on it.  The idea that a user should be limited to a single control scheme is extremely outdated.

Another bit of short-sighted design in Train Simulator is the fact that I had to use a hex editor to edit the configuration file to allow use of my 32" monitor at it's native resolution...

But that said, let's give them the benefit of the doubt & wait for their announcement.  If you look at anything hard enough, you'll be sure to find blemishes.  I actually rather enjoy Train Simulator, just as I found a lot to like about MS Flight.

Jimmy, i got your point.

However you need to see mine too. Trains are easier to control than planes and don't require the same level of precision.

We know how much different it is using a joystick or using the keyboard to fly a plane because with the joystick you can apply a different kind of force instead of a "all or nothing".

But with trains it is much easier (at least on Trainsim), two keys to set the direction, two keys to set the power and two keys for the brakes. 

You buy hardware to enhance the simulation, you don't buy a game to use the hardware you already have

Other than that, i am sure that for this title, considering it will be a flight sim (of some sort, we don't know what kind exactly yet) they will make sure to have joysticks and pedals working, hopefully track IR and Oculus too.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

You buy hardware to enhance the simulation, you don't buy a game to use the hardware you already have

"you won't buy a game that doesn't use the hardware you already have"

I rephrased a portion of your sentence to re-illustrate my concerns.  I know how simple the trains are to operate in TS. Heck, you don't even need a keyboard, the on-screen dashboard is completely mouse driven if you wish.  The simplicity is not the point, I was simply using something that's a minor annoyance in TS to underscore what may possibly be a concern to me in their upcoming flight sim.

Other potential users, who don't have $2500 in flight sim related hardware sitting in their simpit, might not see things the same way.  (and that's fine too.)

:smile:

• Upvote 1

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

For me it's very simple...

Wake me up when some General Flight Simulation platform, 64 bit native, DX11 or DX12 and with flight dynamics at least as good as DCS World offers becomes available...

I strongly believe DTGFS will still be 32 bit, just as MS FLIGHT was, and, the core FDM pretty much the same of MS FLIGHT, certainly a bit better than MSFS's default, but simply not to the level I have become familiar with my DCS modules...

Even better, make it Linux and Mac OS ready !!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Wake me up when some General Flight Simulation platform, 64 bit native, DX11 or DX12 and with flight dynamics at least as good as DCS World offers becomes available...

Please, don't forget about us Mac OS users. Windows is becoming far less attractive with the latest OS for me, and I hate having to dual boot my Mac to use P3D. I highly doubt Dovetail Flightsim will work for non-Windows users, and the only option us Mac users have is X-Plane or Bootcamp.

You're right Tony - just updated my post ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Please, don't forget about us Mac OS users. Windows is becoming far less attractive with the latest OS for me, and I hate having to dual boot my Mac to use P3D. I highly doubt Dovetail Flightsim will work for non-Windows users, and the only option us Mac users have is X-Plane or Bootcamp.

For you, it might be less attractive. For majority of other users out there, Windows is the mainstream/go-to OS and 10 is slowly growing in popularity. I don't think OSX support is going to be something very high on their agenda - at least, not based on these statistics: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

Not to mention, they are utilizing FSX/Flight code, which is DirectX-based. It would require a significant rewrite to switch over to OpenGL, I'm sure.

Brandon Filer

Non-sense you always have a choice

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Non-sense you always have a choice

That makes no sense :-). Of course I have a choice, and I choose Mac OS X because I don't like Windows 10. 

I think it's a poor decision to lock your product down to a single OS. Others have managed quite successfully to support multiple platforms, e.g. Euro Truck Simulator, Cities Skylines, AeroflyFS, X-Plane. Not only that, not locking yourself to Windows APIs means you can easily port your application to mobile platforms, etc..