Sign in to follow this  
Pastaiolo

News on DTG Simulator is coming soon!

Shivers9 & Jimmy say it all... :hi:

What do we REALLY need?

Well, at our VA (Cape Virtual), our flight mentoring academy (Young Falcons) & the 2x simulators we have built up, we still use, believe it, Fs2004!!

Simple.. It's bullet proof, it works without spending a whole lot of time tweaking, the scenery & mesh we have, South African, is only available for FS2004, as is certain aircraft we use. The flight models are 'by the numbers'. We do not have internet connectivity at our clubhouse, as it is on an Air Force base.

We have the immersion as well as some sort of realism, thanks to add-on developers who have taken a 'virgin'sim & have made it so for us!

So, what else do we really need?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

It is almost certain to be an attempt to merge FSX and Flight. So....A better more complete version of Flight combined with a possible watered down version of FSX. 

i think most people in here forget to remember how vanilla FSX IS already a pretty watered down simulation. The default planes can't really be called simulator worthy when compared to say PMDG and similar, or DCS modules. And do you remember the missions? With the big compass and all that?

So what i hope for is Microsoft Flight engine (which IS better compared to the FSX one) and a global scenery too. I would think a simple ATC like the one FSX has woudn't be too hard to make or import at this point.

As usual for more simulative things we will look at developers working for DTG, or DTG itself.

Can current FSX/P3D addons devs join in the effort regarding future DLCs with the Dovetail Flight Sim? Probably yes, as long as they are willing to lose part of their earnings which will of course go to DTG itself.

This is the same thing that happened with FSX-Steam edition, some developers were okay with it and some others were not.

Either way there are new developers showing up all the time, i think everyone is replaceable, even PMDG (to say a company that made one of the most outstanding products for FSX)

• Upvote 1

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Exactly what Francesco says above.

Additionally i don't feel that they will take on DCS in the military aspect, perhaps a simplified fighting aspect for the 'gamers'; that leaves the hardcore simulation fans and the casual simulation market (like Euro Truck Simulator).  i would put money they'll go for the casual simulation market and give us something like Euro Plane Simulator...and i don't think that would be a bad thing.  (Euro Truck being one of my fav's).

Ian R Tyldesley

Nothing would please me more if DTG is knocking our socks off with an amasing FSXI. Fingers crossed.

Will it replace P3D v3? Probably not. Could it be a fun and entertaining alternative for those of us who don't pretend to be airline pilots? Sure could!

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

The BIg problem for me is that flight dynamics, while fine tuned in MS FLIGHT aren't anywhere comparable to the best we can get with other flight simulators presently available, so, while MS FLIGHT was certainly a step forward in some aspects, it is indeed deeply tied to MSFS's core flight dynamics model, which is great in some aspects, but very limited in many others - and those limitations were obvious to me when I started looking more in detail into MS FLIGHT's best DLC's .....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Maybe wishful thinking but I guess what I'm hoping for is a full world version of Flight, but most importantly for me offering backwards compatibility with FSX - not necessarily right from the off, but at least make it possible so that with a bit of updating developers can make existing add ons compatible, much like P3D. Given how DTG have committed to FSX-SE and DLC for that, and given how Train Simulator works in terms of new versions - each annual iteration is usually a free upgrade and all DLC is made compatible with the new version, I would hope they've considered this for the new Flight Sim. Seeing as people have already managed to port FSX scenery to Flight to cover the world, and given how the two products are fundamentally still related, it can't be impossible.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

I think I can say that I have enough sims at the moment. X-Plane 10, Prepar3D V3 and FSX:SE.

No room or time for any more :)

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i7-13700KF  Gigabyte Z790 RTX-4060-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

So, what else do we really need?

I could think of a lot....  a wish list of simulator features would be pretty easy to come by.

However, what I'd hope for in any new sim, regardless of the developer, would be:

• Ship with a basic, but complete world.
  • Ship with an open architecture that allows modification by the end user / third parties.   I don't even care if the licensing terms for people who wish to profit from modifications is strict, but at least allow for easy creation and sharing of freeware scenery / mesh / textures /  aircraft.  An open structure, combined with something so massively popular like the Steam Workshop, where people can one click install mods, would be a great boon.
  • Ship with a decent flight model, but allow the use of externally programmed flight models.
  • Ship with replaceable navigational data.
  • Ship with enough 'eye candy' that will run on reasonable hardware to at least bring in new users.  There's a lot of people out there who want to fly around in a few pretty aircraft and go 'wow'.  Some of those will turn into hardcore simulation enthusiasts, but you've got to get them there first.
  • Don't try and sell us a new copy every year.  Train Simulator is well known for this.  While your previous copy gets 'upgraded', there's always slight changes and the inclusion of content that requires a purchase if you want it.  People bemoan the stagnant situation of FSX, but in reality it's allowed our 3rd party developers to become experts at what they do and continually push the boundaries of whats possible.  I fear that an environment with short 12 month product cycles, 3rd party developers will not be able to keep up, except to offer pretty-but-lite aircraft and small scale scenery.

Should they nail those key features, they'll do well.

• Upvote 2

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Somthing tells me DTG won't lock out 3rd party devs,the reasons is that it's only with 3rd party will the platform takeoff so to speak. FSX would have died by 2008 if there was no 3rd party addons and if we don't have the ability to add new planes,scenery ect then we won't buy it. Case and point would be Aerofly FS graphics wise it's 10x better than FSX but it's limited functions killed it.

• Upvote 2

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Don't try and sell us a new copy every year.

Minor correction to this, DTG actually give the upgrade for free, i bought TS 2012, right now i am on 2016 without paying for anything.  ...however very little actually changes.

Ian R Tyldesley

Minor correction to this, DTG actually give the upgrade for free, i bought TS 2012, right now i am on 2016 without paying for anything.  ...however very little actually changes.

As my paragraph went on to say, they do 'upgrade' your current copy for free, but it doesn't stop them from trying to sell you the new copy, whether by trying to convince you that the included features are worth it, or that the new content is worth it.  My concern is more about what the constant 12 month product cycle would mean to 3rd party developers.

After all, P3D's product cycle has been pretty work-heavy for some developers, who now have to continually maintain a product in order to keep up with point releases.  This is time and energy that would of previously been spent on the development of new products...

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I could think of a lot....  a wish list of simulator features would be pretty easy to come by.

However, what I'd hope for in any new sim, regardless of the developer, would be:

• Ship with a basic, but complete world.
  • Ship with an open architecture that allows modification by the end user / third parties.   I don't even care if the licensing terms for people who wish to profit from modifications is strict, but at least allow for easy creation and sharing of freeware scenery / mesh / textures /  aircraft.  An open structure, combined with something so massively popular like the Steam Workshop, where people can one click install mods, would be a great boon.
  • Ship with a decent flight model, but allow the use of externally programmed flight models.
  • Ship with replaceable navigational data.
  • Ship with enough 'eye candy' that will run on reasonable hardware to at least bring in new users.  There's a lot of people out there who want to fly around in a few pretty aircraft and go 'wow'.  Some of those will turn into hardcore simulation enthusiasts, but you've got to get them there first.
  • Don't try and sell us a new copy every year.  Train Simulator is well known for this.  While your previous copy gets 'upgraded', there's always slight changes and the inclusion of content that requires a purchase if you want it.  People bemoan the stagnant situation of FSX, but in reality it's allowed our 3rd party developers to become experts at what they do and continually push the boundaries of whats possible.  I fear that an environment with short 12 month product cycles, 3rd party developers will not be able to keep up, except to offer pretty-but-lite aircraft and small scale scenery.

Should they nail those key features, they'll do well.

In other words FSX or P3D!! :smile: Oh you mentioned something with Steam's workshop[ - FSX-SE!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

In other words FSX or P3D!! :smile: Oh you mentioned something with Steam's workshop[ - FSX-SE!

Sure.  Excepting of course, out-of-the-box eye candy that can perform well on an average persons PC.  Other than that, you could indeed sum them up by saying "make it exactly like FSX/P3D".

However, we know something is coming, and I was simply reiterating what that something is going to need to satisfy a large percentage of sim enthusiasts.

Whether they want to satisfy our needs?  Who knows!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

DTG actually give the upgrade for free, i bought TS 2012, right now i am on 2016 without paying for anything......

What percentage of existing addons work with the latest upgrade of Train Simulator?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

What percentage of existing addons work with the latest upgrade of Train Simulator?

All of them.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S