Sign in to follow this  
Pastaiolo

News on DTG Simulator is coming soon!

It would be a dream come true if a new engine could be turned into a simulator, but after FSX saw light of day in 2006 it has been awfully quiet. Aerofly, DCS, War Thunder, Il-2 and that Helicopter game all showed promise, but still there's no world simulator with PMDG-style aircraft in it on the horizon...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

It would be a dream come true if a new engine could be turned into a simulator, but after FSX saw light of day in 2006 it has been awfully quiet. Aerofly, DCS, War Thunder, Il-2 and that Helicopter game all showed promise, but still there's no world simulator with PMDG-style aircraft in it on the horizon...

Steve Lacey (God rest his Soul) explained this a while back why FS is CPU bound and is unlikely to change in the near future, even with DX10! Most games today have a limited world, which allows for most if not all of it to be loaded into the graphics memory so the GPU can concentrate on rendering it without having to constantly go back and reloading scenery or textures. FS is different in that it has to be able to seamlessly (Or at least appear that way) to render the entire world. Obviously the whole world can't fit into the memory of either the system memory or the graphics card memory, so it has to periodically load it from disk. Meanwhile having to perform all the calculations necessary to simulate the illusion of flight, and all the animations of the aircraft, etc... This is done with fibers, similar to threads, these processes are broken up and given CPU time to perform the necessary functions. To date he hasn't been proven wrong yet!

• Upvote 3

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

To date he hasn't been proven wrong yet!

At least not in the civilian aviation realm, and especially not in stuff based off of Microsoft technology. But technology hasn't been standing still, and now streaming (procedural) world engines are practically all the rage.

Of course. I know I'll likely disappointed in hoping DTG would go that far.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

At least not in the civilian aviation realm, and especially not in stuff based off of Microsoft technology. But technology hasn't been standing still, and now streaming (procedural) world engines are practically all the rage.

Of course. I know I'll likely disappointed in hoping DTG would go that far.

Yeah, it's not going to happen. Building a new engine is a time and money investment they probably can't afford to make, and would probably defeat the purpose of purchasing the license rights from Microsoft.

Likewise, Lockheed Martin has incredibly deep pockets, but they have clearly shown they are content with current status quo of the ESP engine. It serves its purpose for them.

What is likely to happen is that DTG will release a flight simulator derivative of FSX, just like LM did with P3D, and add limited rendering and performance improvements, just like LM did.

What is likely to happen is that DTG will release a flight simulator derivative of FSX, just like LM did with P3D, and add limited rendering and performance improvements, just like LM did.

As posted in their original news release, they named Windows 10 specifically as the platform, so it looks like it's going to be at least a DX12 sim.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

As posted in their original news release, they named Windows 10 specifically as the platform, so it looks like it's going to be at least a DX12 sim.

I highly doubt it will be a Win 10 exclusive title. They really would be shooting themselves in the foot with that one, since Win 10 doesn't even cover 12% of the Windows user base yet.

They may very well drop support for XP and even Vista, but I would expect Windows 7 to be supported at the very least.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

I highly doubt it will be a Win 10 exclusive title. They really would be shooting themselves in the foot with that one, since Win 10 doesn't even cover 12% of the Windows user base yet.

They may very well drop support for XP and even Vista, but I would expect Windows 7 to be supported at the very least.

http://www.dovetailgames.com/news/2015/aug/4/dovetail-games-looks-to-the-future-collaborating-with-microsoft

Why be so specific then? They could have just said it was for Windows. The only reason to be Windows 10 specific would be if it was a DX12 app., and since it was a free upgrade from Windows 7/8 most already have it. Also by the time it's released DX12 compatible Graphic cards will be more common, so I don't see it as too much of a risk .

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.dovetailgames.com/news/2015/aug/4/dovetail-games-looks-to-the-future-collaborating-with-microsoft

Why be so specific then? They could have just said it was for Windows. The only reason to be Windows 10 specific would be if it was a DX12 app., and since it was a free upgrade from Windows 7/8 most already have it. Also by the time it's released DX12 compatible Graphic cards will be more common, so I don't see it as too much of a risk .

Marketing? Windows 10 was yet to be released.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Not by a long shot. Windows 7 still makes up for more than the Win 10, Win 8/8.1, Vista and XP users combined. Just because it's a free upgrade doesn't mean millions of users weren't reluctant to switch straight away.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

and since it was a free upgrade from Windows 7/8 most already have it.

I don't. I run the Garmin PC trainer for G1000 and in the requirements it says Windows 8/higher not supported. Plus Win 7 has been so stable for me frankly I hate to rock the boat. I don't know how many are like me that happen to run some weird application that for now seem to be restricted to Win 7 but I can tell you many folks around me stay with Win 7 just for known quality and overall stability. 

My guess it's marketing to say their new stuff works with the "latest and greatest."

My Windows 7 system is nice and stable, so upgrading to Windows 10 was never an option. I will do that when I buy a completely new PC in the future.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

DTG's Latest release (Dovetail Games Fishing) Required a 64bit version of windows 7 or 8.

I don't think they would suddenly go windows 10 only.

If anything they might have extra features for DX12 users. Like Crysis had for DX10 when it came out.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I have a feeling this will be MS Flight reborn. Even if this sim/game does blow P3D away on the graphics front, they are going to have a hard time getting simmers to switch over, especially those who have thousands invested in addons for FSX. For some reason many people think it's a crime to install and use another simulator at the same time as FSX/P3D.

I'm fine paying for addons for a sim as long as they're good honest addons (e.g. New planes, scenery, airports), but I draw the line at paying for something that was deliberately left out to force people to cough up more money, e.g Imagine having to pay to turn on the VORs. If I see Dovetail pulling tricks like this, I'm out on day one  :smile: . I hope Dovetail allow third-parties to develop paid/free add ons without having to pay them for the privilege

• Upvote 1