Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

FTX: EU ESSA Stockholm Arlanda Airport Released

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Shame you have to spend another €70 on the terrain package,otherwise I would buy it without hesitation :(

Yes, I too don't like that way of doing business but as I understood it you can still use the scenery only that it won't blend in perfectly with the rest of the terrain if you don't have FTX Global in place.

Then of course this is only me speculating and I guess the best thing to do is to ask about this over in their own forums or wait for other brave souls to try it out...

Great  :wink:  Just starting vacation tomorrow and its about time to visit Arlanda again on Vatsim (SAS1510 (SVA)  :smile:

Michael Moe

Look forward to feed back on FPS etc.

Am sure it will look great.

Shame you have to spend another €70 on the terrain package,otherwise I would buy it without hesitation :sad:

$70! I don't think so. I just paid AUS34, which is about £16.5. Where do you get $70 from?

Ignore the above, I miss read.

Another long overdue airport.  Looking forward to this.

$70! I don't think so. I just paid AUS34, which is about £16.5. Where do you get $70 from?

He means the price of FTX Global Mike. Global is required to blend.

He means the price of FTX Global Mike. Global is required to blend.

Sorry, my bad,...Hang on I'll put my glasses on.....;-) If anyone wants to see the performance, I will be flying out of ESSA today in a You Tube live stream with Royal Dutch Virtual. P3Dv3.1

Sorry, my bad,...Hang on I'll put my glasses on.....;-) If anyone wants to see the performance, I will be flying out of ESSA today in a You Tube live stream with Royal Dutch Virtual. P3Dv3.1

I know the feeling Mike, It would be interesting to see if FTX Global was really required. Hate to add another 4GB to the installation, as well as the dosh.

There are people like myself who prefers GEP3D over FTX (I have FTX Global, but I don't like it). Does it mean that I will never be able to use ESSA?

This is totally stupid business model. We're been waiting for this airport forever.

Yeah, I think the business model where you require people to have some kind of a "base" product installed to be able to fully enjoy a second product might be OK when the second product is a small/cheap one.

However in the case with ESSA although still not a very big airport in comparison with some other huge European airports such as EGLL, LFPG etc I'm not sure this requirement to have FTX Global already installed was a very wise decision but I'm sure time and sales will tell...

The airport would still work without FTX global - yeah it just won't blend perfectly. Who cares? I have PSP without global (or SCA) - works fine - I will say I believe you need a region (like PNW ) to cycle between the region and default scenery....otherwise your airport might not have autogen

I guess as long as it only comes down to how well the airport will blend with the surroundings it can still be a nice product to get if you're interested in this airport. What of course could potentially be a problem is if the airport also uses other parts from FTX Global meaning things will actually be missing unless you have FTX Global installed.

No reason really to carry on with this guess-work but better to ask about this over in Orbx's own forums for those who are interested in the scenery but who don't own FTX Global and I'm sure Orbx will be able to answer this one quickly and what exactly will be the result if you install the new ESSA without FTX Global installed.

I already have  Arlanda by Aerosoft. What would this new scenery add or better?

Thanks

I already have  Arlanda by Aerosoft. What would this new scenery add or better?

Thanks

Try it and report back ?

Michael Moe

Arlanda published by Aerosoft is almost 10 years old if my memory serves so obviously you will get a much more up-to-date scenery with this new version of ESSA published by Orbx which is also fully compatible with P3Dv3.x for instance.

Looking at the Aerosoft version of ESSA there's lots of bugs like how the taxiway lights are misaligned, lots (most) of the taxiways signs are missing, working DME's are missing for some of the runways just to mention a few things.

Then reading on the product page for this new scenery from Orbx I think that pretty clearly gives you a hint what to expect from this new scenery looking at features and things included.

• Upvote 2

With large ORBX airports it's about performance. You know they're going to look good. Hopefully, they've learned some optimization tricks since they did their last large airport. Melbourne and Brisbane were both tough on performance. If this one is better, I'm sure I'll get it.

Installed it a couple of hours ago and have been sitting with a big grin on my face ever since.

I was in the RealAir Legacy, sitting behind 5 AI aircraft holding at the runway, looking back at the terminals and was still getting a solid 30 fps. Overhead the airport, looking down once I had taken off, I was getting 40+ fps.

This is in P3D3.1, and I'd just put in a 980Ti card last night and had been testing that with pretty high settings, which I left as they were before trying out ESSA. So I am more than happy with the performance and the airport looks gorgeous.

Jack

• Upvote 1

That is super good news Jack, thanks for reporting back and I'm looking forward to try out the finished product myself when I get home after work tonight.

Its awesome. FPS is great too.

I don't understand the complaints regarding Global?

I would love to have the UK2000 airports perfectly 'blend' with FTX Global textures but they don't so I move on and either live with it or not.

The developer of ESSA has already stated that it will work fine without Global but the blending wont be as good with other textures. 

To be honest though, the FTX global textures are so good Im not sure why you wouldn't want them? Unless you have GEX I suppose......

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the feedback, have just purchased it and will install and test this evening.

Regards

I have two p3d systems - one with FTX Global and one with GEP3D. I didn't buy THIS airport but I have purchased others and used the freeware on both systems and I really haven't noticed anything unusual on the NON Global system. Actually, I prefer the GEP3D system. I'm sure there are SOME airports that may have more noticeable issues but so far so good with mine.

Like it or not, it's a smart business model - "you want it to be perfect? Use ALL our products together!"

IMHO, they should make it a little clearer that it WILL look just fine w/o Global, just that it looks better WITH it.

Vic

I am interested too, if some one could do a EKCH to ESSA with PM 737 or 777 just to check vas and fluidity?