Sign in to follow this  
pegruder

Looking for a Mid to High End Yoke

Hey folks as the title says, I'm looking for a mid to high end yoke.  I have a Saitek yoke now for about a year or so and its ok.  I'm looking for something thats smoother and maybe no huge detent in the middle as this one has.  Trying to stick landings where the yoke feels like it borderline gets stuck in the middle is getting a little old.  I think even my CH yoke was much smoother than this one.  Only reason I replaced it was the table mount was pretty terrible and starting to break.  What's everyone using out there?

PS - realized I left out the budget - I con't mind dropping some coin for a long lasting quality yoke but I'd prefer to not spend over $500 USD.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

PS - realized I left out the budget - I con't mind dropping some coin for a long lasting quality yoke but I'd prefer to not spend over $500 USD.

I think you will be constrained by your budget. At that price the only things that come to mind are the VR Insight Flight Master II and the PFC Beech Cirrus yoke. (And the latter is probably over $500.) The Saitek Cessna yoke is better than the regular Pro Flight but it still has the centre detents.

I have found the CH Eclipse very good. The movement is much smoother than the earlier version and does not snap back to centre as sharply as the Saitek yokes.

CH Yoke is still my favorite, and yes, you have to remember to treat the clamps with care..

Happy CH customer since game port days - quality products at reasonable prices...

Regards,

Scott

I think you will be constrained by your budget. At that price the only things that come to mind are the VR Insight Flight Master II and the PFC Beech Cirrus yoke. (And the latter is probably over $500.) The Saitek Cessna yoke is better than the regular Pro Flight but it still has the centre detents.

I see there's no happy medium range for yokes lol. Seems it's 200ish or 1k. I may give my ch a go again and see if I can fabricate a better mount. It's probably 10 years old but just as smooth as day 1.

I see there's no happy medium range for yokes lol. Seems it's 200ish or 1k. I may give my ch a go again and see if I can fabricate a better mount. It's probably 10 years old but just as smooth as day 1.

Yes, there's nothing really 'mid-range'. The engineering of the CH internals is way better than either of the Saiteks. The only issue I have is that having left my Eclipse in the loft for a couple of years the shaft had unaccountably become less free-sliding. I could not see any good reason for this and didn't try lubricating it beyond dusting with a bit of graphite powder (not much help). I have since destroyed it to re-use the handle on my (gasp) Iris Dynamics FFB yoke, which I have just received after waiting for two years!

Looking at PFC yokes - what is the actual difference between the 737 yoke (which I fly the most) and the beech yokes?  I can't really tell a difference except for yoke design.  How does PFC compare to Yoko the Yoke?

Recently went with the Cirrus Beech yoke, very satisfied with the quality of the hardware and how it feels in use.What I like is the ability to make precise control inputs in the pitch and roll axis that in my experience was the most frustrating complaint I had with the lower cost alternatives.If you can get over the sticker shock, it would most likely be the last yoke you will ever need.

Recently went with the Cirrus Beech yoke, very satisfied with the quality of the hardware and how it feels in use.What I like is the ability to make precise control inputs in the pitch and roll axis that in my experience was the most frustrating complaint I had with the lower cost alternatives.If you can get over the sticker shock, it would most likely be the last yoke you will ever need.

Is there a noticeable detent for center? The one on my Saitek is devastating lol. Makes finessing landing extremely difficult.

Interested in this thread ... my Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Yoke just gave up the ghost (the 180 degree version) ... pulled it apart looking for any wiring issues but found none.  Tested the Yoke on 3 computers and it sometimes works, sometimes has a delay, sometimes looks like it's recognized but NO input registers ... very bizarre.

Anyway, I'm in the market also ... but after doing some research/calls it seems (other than CH Eclipse) getting a Yoke to my house is going to be a 60-90 day delay (even just replacing my existing Saitek - is Saitek going out of business or shifting business?)

The two yokes I've narrowed it down to are:

1.  PFC (Saab or Beech)

2.  GoFlight

But availability issues means I'll probably have to buy a cheaper yoke to hold me over - 90 days without flight simming, not sure I can handle that ;)

s there a noticeable detent for center? The one on my Saitek is devastating lol. Makes finessing landing extremely difficult.

My Saitek Cessna Pro Flight yoke has no center detent -- after pulling it apart the internals are actually pretty good for a $200 yoke (certainly better than my CH yoke) and full 180 degree support.  More range = more precision.

Cheers, Rob.

Interested in this thread ... my Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Yoke just gave up the ghost (the 180 degree version) ... pulled it apart looking for any wiring issues but found none.  Tested the Yoke on 3 computers and it sometimes works, sometimes has a delay, sometimes looks like it's recognized but NO input registers ... very bizarre.

Anyway, I'm in the market also ... but after doing some research/calls it seems (other than CH Eclipse) getting a Yoke to my house is going to be a 60-90 day delay (even just replacing my existing Saitek - is Saitek going out of business or shifting business?)

The two yokes I've narrowed it down to are:

1.  PFC (Saab or Beech)

2.  GoFlight

But availability issues means I'll probably have to buy a cheaper yoke to hold me over - 90 days without flight simming, not sure I can handle that ;)

My Saitek Cessna Pro Flight yoke has no center detent -- after pulling it apart the internals are actually pretty good for a $200 yoke (certainly better than my CH yoke) and full 180 degree support.  More range = more precision.

Cheers, Rob.

I considered the goflight but reviews I read most people weren't impressed with it especially at the price point. Froogle has a pretty good review up on his YouTube channel. I don't feel he was impressed with it, especially compared to his Yoko the yoke review.

Hi Chris,

Agree, some of the reviews for the GF Yoke are less than enthusiastic.  

That Yoko yoke does look interesting also ... thanks for pointing that out.

Cheers, Rob.

I am absolutely with the OP as I was also looking for a replacement for my Saitek Pro Flight yoke. From all that I have read (and that was quite a lot), I think that the best yoke you can buy at the moment (which is not force-feedback) is the Yoko yoke. Froogle and D'Andre from AirDailyX did review videos on it and it really looks like an awesome yoke.

I already had my credit card ready and contacted Virtual Fly to order one. But then I went a different route...

I modded my old Saitek yoke as explained here:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/351529-finally-a-fix-for-the-saitek-pro-flight-yoke-pitch-axis/

I have to say it is absolutely amazing. Almost zero cost for the mod (except the two springs) and the difference feels like night and day. No more deadzones and very fluid operations. The mod is really easy and absolutely worth it. Saved me 1000 Euros.

Is there a noticeable detent for center? The one on my Saitek is devastating lol. Makes finessing landing extremely difficult.

None what so ever, the yoke returns to a neutral position for both the pitch and roll axis as you release control inputs.As you apply more deflection the required force will increase and gets a bit heavy when  applying full up elevator but it is very light in the neutral position where you need it and similar to an actual aircraft application.Very satisfied with the PFC yoke, it looks and feels like professional quality.

Second the PFC yokes.  I did lots of research before going with the Saab one (it has more switches).  Its only downside was lack of a hat switch since I've never really gotten comfortable with TrackIR.

However, I solved that by adding my own hat switch which works quite well.  If interest, I can post a short description later of how to do it.

Cheers

JJB

Hey folks as the title says, I'm looking for a mid to high end yoke.  I have a Saitek yoke now for about a year or so and its ok.  I'm looking for something thats smoother and maybe no huge detent in the middle as this one has.  Trying to stick landings where the yoke feels like it borderline gets stuck in the middle is getting a little old.  I think even my CH yoke was much smoother than this one.  Only reason I replaced it was the table mount was pretty terrible and starting to break.  What's everyone using out there?

My favorite, and the one that I use is the PFC (Precision Flight Controls) Boeing 737 yoke, but they have some that are less costly, but just as good.  This one is closer to your budget, but is made with all of the quality and precision of my Boeing yoke.  I did add the "Hall Effect" to mine.  I guess it just makes it last longer (like forever).

These PFC yokes are extremely smooth working and have a tendency to go back to center in both roll and pitch controls, but not with any "clunk" or "click".  The centering mechanism is very smooth. 

The complete yoke is pretty heavy and made with really high quality components. I've had mine for over a year and am still simply amazed by it. 

Since mine is the Boeing 737 yoke, I was able to find a replica of the metal clip board that mounts on it.  That really makes it look great.

Cirrus_Yoke_Beech_Style_12_1-360x360.jpg

https://store.flypfc.com/?/products/yokes/cirrus-beech-yoke1/

Second the PFC yokes.  I did lots of research before going with the Saab one (it has more switches).  Its only downside was lack of a hat switch since I've never really gotten comfortable with TrackIR.

However, I solved that by adding my own hat switch which works quite well.  If interest, I can post a short description later of how to do it.

Cheers

JJB

I would be interested to read how you enabled a hat switch mod.

Got a response from the Yoko Yoke folks ... going to order one and see how it goes, I can modify under my desk a little so that it clamps better.

I may have a solution to getting a Hat switch installed on the Yoko Yoke.

Thanks for those sharing the Yoko info, much appreciated.

Cheers, Rob.

I'm trying to figure out how, other than with TrackIR, I could get along without a hat switch.

Jeff

I'm trying to figure out how, other than with TrackIR, I could get along without a hat switch.

Jeff

EZDok.  I realize that I hardly use the had (except for the landing replay) and pretty much use EZDok all the time to adjust the views.

I own the PFC Saab Jetliner Column yoke, and USB rudders. The only Diff between the 737 yoke and the Saab is slight and honestly not worth the large difference in price. The difference is the yoke handle and button arrangement. It doesn't make sense to me because the 737 yoke has less buttons then the Saab and is more expensive. I said to myself okay, maybe they use Hall sensors and the yoke feels heavier and has full 180 degree roll 90 left and 90 right. Wrong. Exact same internals and feel, just the handle is different. Hall effects are not included in that price and are an upgrade option. 

Seems a no brainer was to go for the Saab model. I have had my gear since 2006 and it has stood strong so I can vouch for them. I am not too happy with their flat rate repair costs though, because if you need something small done say 20-30 dollars worth, you pay hundreds for them to touch anything...

This is my next yoke and am very excited as it has the full roll travel I am seeking along with not being spring tentioned. It is gas / hydraulic and I am very very keen to that!

Regarding no HAT, not even the smallest issue. I use EZDOK, and middle mouse wheel to look around and I never feel like I miss the HAT ever, period.

EDITED: Angelo, those links include other images that violate AVSIM ToS and I've removed link.  Please be more careful in the future. - Rob.

Thanks, guys.  I'm just so used to being able to keep my finger on the hat switch and not having to move to the mouse, but for the sake of a great yoke I guess I could be persuaded.   :)  I'll have to check out EZDock.  I've stayed away from that because I it seems like i've ready a lot of problem-posts regarding EZDock.

Jeff