Sign in to follow this  
JRS182

Active Sky Next Strange Fog/Haze

Hey All,

Is anyone else experiencing this weird haze/fog layer that I'm getting in P3D V3.2 with the latest beta of ASN. Its like a horizontal fog layer and you can see a clear line cutting through the mountains and high terrain.

I've tried so many different settings, volumetric fog on/off etc but cant seem to get rid of it. If anyone else has come across this, have they managed to get rid of it by changing any settings?.

I've posted on the ASN forums but they just say its the fault of P3D 3.2.

Joe

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I think so yeah. Yesterday at CYVR it looked like that. really Strange.

Also still heavy hit on the GPU with overcast. Might try older drivers.

Michael Moe

I've started having that lately,(I think it is after ASN last beta, the one that offers multiple layers check box) but I have noticed that after a period of time it will straighten itself out. It's like it is a shader problem and it takes a long time to load, also seems like you can fly above and below an elevation that makes that more prominent

I have it too when I am flying high with my Airbus this SUDDENLY happens: all above me is blue and all below me is kinda white and there is a rather hard line across the horizon. Pretty ugly.

Yeah it is really ugly and it apparently has something to do with the way P3D V3.2 renders fog.

I got rid of it by upping maximum upper visibility from 100 to 130sm. Bug I suppose.

For what is worth, I had it in P3dV2 and the current P3dV3 along with the past ASN versions.  I agree it is ugly. 

With multiple visibility layers + vol fog I have a haze flying below 17000-18000 ft looking down .

After climbing higher the haze disappears.

It's something introduced by LM with P3Dv3.2, well documented on the official Hifi Forums.  It can be reproduced manually without using ASN.

http://www.hifisimtech.com/forums/showthread.php?5932-Strange-Haze-line

http://www.hifisimtech.com/forums/showthread.php?5819-Hazy-Sky-with-Volumetric-Fog-enabled-in-Prepar3D-v3-2/page6

Damian Clark:  This is specific to 3.2 and the new volumetric fog rendering. Outside of our control, unfortunately. Please experiment with the relevant options to try and find a depiction that is suitable. If you would like to use P3D 3.1, the latest ASN for P3D build supports that as well. Make sure to NOT check "multiple visibility layers" when using 3.1 or earlier.

Out of their control... seriously... that's a real problem then. Bummer.

They say that but then I've read somewhere else on their forum that they are close to over coming the problem :)

I also think the latest ASN might be having some problems.  Like other posts that I have read...it was raining this morning, outside my den...but in the sim, under ASN SP4.1, P3D v3.2, with REX 4 Direct, it was hazy and sunny....  Something is wrong, for sure....

In ASN SP1 for v2.4...I never had a false rendering, to real weather...

The multiple visibility layers option in ASN Build 5926 can only be a temporary solution. It's really hard on frames in bad weather despite of a GTX 980.

The new visibility rendering by LM in V3.2 is definitely a step in the wrong direction. :rolleyes:

I'm having a few performance issues with ASN when it comes to specific weather conditions ... like overcast and/or stormy weather.  I didn't have this issue in prior ASN builds ... Also, to be noted, if I setup very similar manual weather using P3D UI, I don't have any performance issues and all look good.  

For similar weather compares with P3D UI vs weather from ASN, there appears to be about 200-300% more (and smaller) clouds in ASN ... which would explain the FPS hit.

I've asked Damian if he can provide more info on what he thinks changed in regards to Volumetric Fog in P3D V3.2?  There is NO mention of Volumetric fog changes in the P3D Learning Centery "what's new" section for V3.2 and there was NOTHING reported in LM's Beta forum ... so I'm very curious to see what HiFi think changed?

Cheers, Rob.

Can't comment on other settings, but the 130 max vis in ASN fixed my ugly edge on volumetric fog layer. My max ground vis is 35

I'm having a few performance issues with ASN when it comes to specific weather conditions ... like overcast and/or stormy weather.  I didn't have this issue in prior ASN builds ... Also, to be noted, if I setup very similar manual weather using P3D UI, I don't have any performance issues and all look good.  

For similar weather compares with P3D UI vs weather from ASN, there appears to be about 200-300% more (and smaller) clouds in ASN ... which would explain the FPS hit.

I've asked Damian if he can provide more info on what he thinks changed in regards to Volumetric Fog in P3D V3.2?  There is NO mention of Volumetric fog changes in the P3D Learning Centery "what's new" section for V3.2 and there was NOTHING reported in LM's Beta forum ... so I'm very curious to see what HiFi think changed?

Cheers, Rob.

Rob..I was just coming here to say that I think the latest ASN SP4.1/P3D v3.2 combo is broken...not interacting right.  Outside my home is dreary and overcast..yet I have sunny skies with high wispy clouds and no lower cloud or overcast display.  Something is clearly not working with the two in action...ASN SP4.1 and v3.2!!!  I know that ASN is connected, by the program, as well as the B.P....changing....but weather metrics and visuals, aren't even close to real world at location.

Post Edit...just thought to add, if I use ORBX weather settings....(manual choice), I get the right kind of clouds, etc...rain, etc...so it is not REX4 Direct HD's not having placed accessible files...

Mitch

It's happened to me with Opus FSI as well since 3.2

It's 100% something that has changed in P3D since the 3.2 upgrade

It's happened to me with Opus FSI as well since 3.2

It's 100% something that has changed in P3D since the 3.2 upgrade

Well, that's not good if evident...:(

Can't comment on other settings, but the 130 max vis in ASN fixed my ugly edge on volumetric fog layer. My max ground vis is 35

Nice to hear.

However not everyone can use multiple vis layers + 130 max vis + clouds 133 + vol fog ....

Especially when using more than 1 outside view

Are you sure this is a 3.2 problem?

I am still on 3.1 and have the same effect.

Are you sure this is a 3.2 problem?

I am still on 3.1 and have the same effect.

I must admit I reverted to 3.1 last night as I thought it would fix this issue but it didn't. It looked the same. Maybe I just never noticed it before!

Does anyone else notice a huge FPS cut while flying trough a cloud? It doesn't happen all the time, but on occasion flying trough a cloud will cut my FPS in half. Very strange, as this never happened before. Hopefully ASN or REX will solve this problem soon. 

REX made the clouds bigger to prevent 'popcorn' clouds. This has a performance impact. In the latest update of the REX application they added a new option where you can set the cloud size yourself, so you can find a performance/looks compromise or reset to the original value.

Hello Ken;

Are you talking about the Cloud Sizing Algorithm? Is so, mine is unticked. Thx. 

Yes, talking about that one. Mine is also unticked, but it keeps showing the 0.6 I set it to in a previous session.