Sign in to follow this  
Jimm

No Clouds

My frustration level has hit the roof.  I'd been flying a lot lately and just realized that I don't get clouds, just very "foggy" areas.  The real tip off was a flight I performed from EKCH to UUEE and along the way my Airbus A321 was showing thunderstorms throughout my flight path, but all I would see are the lightning flashes, but no real clouds.

I run REX TD w/Soft Clouds and ASN.  I think this all has to do with the countless SPs and Hotfixes being pushed out by Hifi and REX, but now I see that no matter what I select for weather (preset in P3D or running ASN), I still get no clouds at all.

I sure could use some help, thanks.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

My frustration level has hit the roof.  I'd been flying a lot lately and just realized that I don't get clouds, just very "foggy" areas.  The real tip off was a flight I performed from EKCH to UUEE and along the way my Airbus A321 was showing thunderstorms throughout my flight path, but all I would see are the lightning flashes, but no real clouds.

I run REX TD w/Soft Clouds and ASN.  I think this all has to do with the countless SPs and Hotfixes being pushed out by Hifi and REX, but now I see that no matter what I select for weather (preset in P3D or running ASN), I still get no clouds at all.

I sure could use some help, thanks.

-Jim

Suggest you download the latest version from where you bought it - then you only have to do one update I believe - that should cure it

Rich Sennett

Hi Jim,

Several of us have had this problem & the way we were able to correct this is to go to your configuration settings & optimization page in Rex & provided that you have 1&2 hotfixes installed go to the bottom right to the cloud sizing algorithm , check the box & move the slider to .55. I original had the slider set to .65 but it took a toll on my frame rates. Seems like .55 works pretty well for me

Ron

You can try that first - but having a more complete installer will also remove a lot of future frustrations also

Rich Sennett

I re-downloaded both Rex Soft Clouds and ASN.  I left out Rex TD for now, just to see if oucld get clouds to appear.  After downloading and installing I went to a place with bad weather, which was LOWW (cloudy and rainy).  After the flight loaded, It was raining, but I could still see cirrus clouds, but nothing lower level.  The sun was still out too.

This is very frustrating and I have no clue as to why I lost all other cloud types.

-Jim

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I re-downloaded both Rex Soft Clouds and ASN.  I left out Rex TD for now, just to see if oucld get clouds to appear.  After downloading and installing I went to a place with bad weather, which was LOWW (cloudy and rainy).  After the flight loaded, It was raining, but I could still see cirrus clouds, but nothing lower level.  The sun was still out too.

This is very frustrating and I have no clue as to why I lost all other cloud types.

-Jim

You need to install REX4 and work from there not soft clouds thats just an addition - main program needs to be solid not soft clouds - I know you know that but very strange you would go about it this way also did you try Ron's suggestion 

Rich Sennett

Before I bought Texture Direct, I was fine running Soft Clouds with ASN (had clouds showing up without any problems), so are you saying that now, Soft Clouds won't work by itself?

-Jim

Before I bought Texture Direct, I was fine running Soft Clouds with ASN (had clouds showing up without any problems), so are you saying that now, Soft Clouds won't work by itself?

-Jim

No it does run without rex4 but your order of operations doesnt make sense to me - if you have rex4 you should load that first imo

Uninstall rex soft clouds

Get latest build of rex4 - load it - update it to latest - play with cloud sizing algorithm - if all works then load soft clouds

This is what I would do if I were you 

Rich Sennett

I fail to understand what you are saying.  I downloaded only ASN and Soft Clouds.  I ran Soft Clouds to get the better textures loaded and then ran ASN for weather.  I took Texture Direct out of the equation right now because I wanted to see if I got any low lying clouds, but right now, I nothing but upper cirrus clouds show, so something is not right.

-Jim

Are low level soft clouds working without ASN running if so then you have a different problem its on ASN side of things 

Also have you tried deleting shader cache ? might help 

Rich Sennett

ASN has had no problems displaying clouds at any level. I use TD4 +SC with ASN with no issues. After first run, I reset the cloud size and then disabled the loading of low clouds in REX. No issues since then. Definitely delete the shaders.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hi Jim,

I had the same problem: I screwed up something, sometime ago last week (no idea of the root cause). At the end I solved as below and everything's fine, at least till far.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/486740-rex-4-problem/?p=3406428

Hope may help.

Cheers,

Massimo Burti

Intel Core i9-13900K ¦ 64GB DDR4-3200 - 2x 32GB - Kingston Fury Beast - black ¦ 2x 2TB - m.2 NVMe Gen4 - Samsung 980 Pro ¦ Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4  ¦ Asus TUF RTX 3080 Gaming OC LHR - 12GB ¦ 1000W - 80+ Platinum - Seasonic Prime PX

Hello @ll,

had the same problem this weekend. Along the way of the latest Rex4 Hotfixes "something" in the "ShadersHLSL" folder in the P3D main directory was altered in such a way that low level clouds were no longer rendered. No amount of reinstalling changed that, neither P3D content, nor ASN nor REX4 textures or soft clouds.

I ended up restoring the complete ShadersHLSL folder from a backup (made immedeately after updating to 3.2) and I got the clouds back. If you do not have a backup, I suggest renaming the "ShadersHLSL" folder and reinstalling the P3D content and maybe the P3D client until the original folder is restored. After that, even the cloud sizing function of REX4 works.

LORBY-SI

1. Download latest beta for ASN from their forum and install it.

2. Download scenery.msi installer and 6 cab files from Prepar3D website and reinstall it.

3. Restore original textures via REX interface (i assume you made the backup).

4. See if you have your clouds back. This is what i did and it restored them.

5. If you have it you can now play with REX.

Rgdrs,

Kris

Are low level soft clouds working without ASN running if so then you have a different problem its on ASN side of things 

Also have you tried deleting shader cache ? might help 

Ok, no low level clouds at all, with or without ASN weather.  I went back to basics and started a flight with a P3D weather scheme, fair weather and building storms.  Both instances had no low level clouds, BUT I did get lightening with the building storms.

I have a suspicion that when I uninstalled REX TD (due to Richard's recommendation to reinstall with a full install instead of the patches), TD may have deleted or did not restore a file needed by P3D to display clouds.  If that is the case, then does anyone know the easiest way to restore what I need?  I should preface that question with the fact that I wound up doing a repair on P3D, thinking that may take care of any missing files, but alas, that didn't help either.

-Jim

ASN has had no problems displaying clouds at any level. I use TD4 +SC with ASN with no issues. After first run, I reset the cloud size and then disabled the loading of low clouds in REX. No issues since then. Definitely delete the shaders.

Vic

I did delete the shader cache after the first uninstall of REX TD, prior to reinstalling Soft Clouds and ASN.  As I said before, I used to use just SC and ASN and never had a problem with seeing clouds at any level.  When I bought TD later on, that too caused no issue.  I think what happened is at some point in the last couple of weeks, REX had an update or hotfix waiting and I installed it, not realizing that subsequent flights were not displaying clouds correctly (I was distracted with learning to fly the Aerosoft Airbus).  I got the flying part down to a science now and am enjoying the heck out of that, but with no clouds, it kinda sucks. :(

I guess I am not fully understanding this change that REX implemented.  Last night before bed, I downloaded the full installer of TD and will probably reinstall that tonight after work to see what happens.  Yes, I'll read the manual too. :)

-Jim