Sign in to follow this  
torium

DTG Flight School - Approach & Landing Lesson

Its a New Core system into the community, which is fantastic. I welcome this with open arms.

No, it's not. This is based on FSX just as P3D is. In my very personal opinion, I expect DTG Flight School just as the full sim will be a huge disappointment. Hopefully, I will be proven wrong...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

For $15, you get the sim and maybe the extra aircraft if you order early enough, but after that, it'll all be about DLC and THAT'S where the moneymaker will be.

There will be no DLC, Dovetails Martin has already confirmed this.

There will be no DLC, Dovetails Martin has already confirmed this.

LMAO, really?  Oooook then, I'll definitely let this one pass by.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

since they already have FSX, what would have been wrong with just improving it to what this flight school is now?

That is what they are doing with the full Sim later in the year ( 64bit FSX+FTXGlobal), Flight School is just to get new (steam) users onboard in an easy to use format.

well - i have showed this to the loads of teens next my room - which they are also hungry steam users - playstation - and all the rest - they told me to pxxss off !!

• Upvote 1

I wasn't sure, up until now, that it was possible to polish a terd, but it sure looks like it now.

Jim, isn't that just what LM have been doing for the last couple of years, or have we forgotten where P3D's roots are, 32bit and all

• Upvote 3

I seriously think they are trying to bite off more than they can chew, since they already have FSX, what would have been wrong with just improving it to what this flight school is now?

That is exactly what they are doing but according to Microsoft they couldn't make any changes to the code when they got FSX from Microsoft and sell it as Microsoft Flight Simulator X : Steam Edition.

For the people wanting a new simulator you can either go P3D (Improved FSX) or wait for NextGen Flight Simulator  http://nexgenflightsim.com/. I'm afraid you'll be waiting a long time.

I'll gladly welcome the improvements of FSX in the form of DTG Flight Simulator. Looking forward to this DTG Flight School release.

Jim, isn't that just what LM have been doing for the last couple of years, or have we forgotten where P3D's roots are, 32bit and all

I think you've overlooked what LM has done, but then again, you dropped P3D like a hot potato.  Ignorance is bliss, right?

-Jim

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I think that this game,being aimed at beginners, is entirely appropriate. It's cheap, easy to comprehend (these aren't even sim pilots we are talking about) and has decent visuals. Not for me, but I think it hits the mark so far.

Spot on. 

As an introduction to flight I think it's fine, although I'd like to hear a reference to standard terms like downwind leg, base leg, final. Maybe they think that's too confusing for newbies? Or maybe the terms are introduced in a later lesson. 

What bothered me a lot though, were those forward jerks (stutters?) in the animation. The one thing you need for a good landing is a smooth, consistent frame rate in those last few seconds as you approach the end of the runway. 

That doesn't look like video compression to me, and DTG shouldn't have any trouble using a high-end system to run the demo. If that's in the sim, then they really need to fix it ASAP.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I think you've overlooked what LM has done, but then again, you dropped P3D like a hot potato.  Ignorance is bliss, right?

-Jim

HDR, bathymetry, a marginal performance improvement, some reflection improvements, and volumetric fog. Yet all these year later, it still OOM's and requires tweaking (just look at all the affinity mask discussions in the P3D forums).

I for one am looking forward to the full sim later this year, and for $15, the time invested by DTG listening to us, and the clear improvements they have made visually even with this "beginners" product, I will buy this too. Plus I would rather buy from a company that says I can use their products for entertainment purposes!  :Tounge:

• Upvote 2

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

I think you've overlooked what LM has done

Jim, I am still running P3D, never dropped it I just chose to stay with 2.5

I have been using it since 1.4 so I understand fully what it is and if we all take off the rose tinted goggles it is basically a bug fixed FSX with a bit of lipstick.

No amount of repeating to ourselves "P3D is not FSX" will alter the fact that it's really only FSX's prettier big sister and neither are Prom queens.

• Upvote 4

Jim, I am still running P3D, never dropped it I just chose to stay with 2.5

I have been using it since 1.4 so I understand fully what it is and if we all take off the rose tinted goggles it is basically a bug fixed FSX with a bit of lipstick.

No amount of repeating to ourselves "P3D is not FSX" will alter the fact that it's really only FSX's prettier big sister and neither are Prom queens.

But you still bought into it.

I got into P3D for various reasons, but one of them was not for the fact that it was FSX refined or whatever you want to call it.  I wasn't aware that it's origins stemmed from the professional version, but no matter.  Whatever it took for LM to create Prepar3d, it works and works well.  Tell me, what is wrong with immersion?  Wouldn't you think that more detail, shadows, lighting makes it much easier to stay enagaged in the sim?  I come from a long line of folks who have used many older versions of flight simulator over the decades and P3D was a welcome sight.  With version 3, virtually out of the box, LM provides a stable and very engaging simulator.

I dropped the rose tinted glasses a long time ago.  I have wishes like everyone else, but am not disappointed that certain wishes haven't been met yet.  I always looked at P3D as an evolution and always will.  I see so many people bashing versions because those versions never met to their own expectations.  There's an old saying about pleasing people, and that goes with just about anything that is created.  The eskimos want ice water, I want a million dollars, others want world peace but in the end, reality rules.

One lingering question though is that DTG claims to have listened to the community, but to what extent?  I doubt they really listen to the little people, and I wouldn't expect they would.  They turn to the supposed experts in the community, and that's where I think the breakdown occurs.

I've hear similar rants from people who use Train Simulator, in how it doesn't use this or incorporate that or this could be better...it's an ongoing cycle and all the while they'll market the heck out of their products to get people to buy it and subsequent versions and we'll still keep buying it, holding out hope that what we personally want will be included.  It isn't until afterwards that we try it out, see that it doesn't meet our expectations and then we rant.

I actually have to laugh at the fact that a pretty large cross section of AVSIM members (myself included) are in heated discussions about a simulator that we may never even use because of it's basic structure.  Someone made the comment earlier that this would be geared more towards someone who knows very little about flight, but yet we are arguing semantics and overlooking it's true purpose.

I'll end my own discussion here and now about Flight School and wait until the final days before DTG's new 64-bit simulator comes out because my input is obviously being misinterpreted and twisted around.

-Jim

For $15, you get the sim and maybe the extra aircraft if you order early enough, but after that, it'll all be about DLC and THAT'S where the moneymaker will be.

Jim, everyone who buys Flight School will get the DA42, albeit 60 days after pre-purchasers get it. Also, what one gets is all one will get. There will be no DLC for Flight School. Period.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator