DTG Flight School - Approach & Landing Lesson

Wow, Ted. I couldn't agree more!!

• Upvote 1

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

The full sim is a first day buy here for me.

But lets not lose sight of the fact that DTG came here for honest feedback on their upcoming Flight School, feedback which will hopefully feed directly back into the full sim.

Most here are not the target audience for Flight School and I suspect DTG know that, but the full sim is something we should all be supportive of

I hate to come across like a scolding nanny but if I were DTG I'd be losing interest in posting here based on the demanding tone and non constructive criticism in some of the comments that I've read.

Ted

Excellent post, with a memorable final.

With regards to DTG Flight Simulator, DTG has already stated many times that it is based on FSX so I would not be expecting a new ground breaking core. What happened to all those that were of the opinion that the only solution to all our problems was 64 bit and a break from existing addon compatibility? That is exacting what DTG is providing with DTG Flight Simulator. I would buy and be happy with DTG Flight Simulator if it only was a 64bit FSX...with an open SDK of course. It has already been announced that DTG is working with ORBX on the scenery so I would expect some optimization of the terrain engine from that partnership. We don't know yet what other developer DTG is partnering with.

So far Martin and DTG have had a much more open dialog with the community than a lot of other developers and they appear to trying to address a lot of the concerns posted on these forums. It would be nice if that continued. What do you say we cut DTG some slack, show some respect and encouragement in our comments, and lets see what they provide. And lets not lose sight of the fact they do need to make a profit while addressing our demands.

I hate to come across like a scolding nanny but if I were DTG I'd be losing interest in posting here based on the demanding tone and non constructive criticism in some of the comments that I've read.

Ted

Sadly, memorable posts such as this will soon be lost to the relentless banter across these forums. This was a perfect summary of a level head and an open mind. 

• Upvote 2

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

to me looks good so far and im looking foward to the full sim at the end of the year .....

What does really look good so far that makes you excited about the full sim?

I would like to see that too, really, I would!

I am flightsimming since 1998, I really long for some innovation. I would really like to support Dovetail or any other developer if I would see something new.

I know Flight School is not for me, as state before, but the 'spunk' is missing, the quality, to make me confident about the full sim being something new.

The video in question is nothing more than serious of heading instructions.

Not once turns student the head to see where the runway is, not once is the instructor or student looking for traffic, not once is ATC/tower or unicom being called.... This laziness or lack of in-depth, or missing quality takes the confidence right out of me, but maybe they will surprise me, I really hope they will! 

• Upvote 2

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

Looking good so far. There is room for improvement for sure, but as this is just a first video, it is still to early to make some real judgement - and yet again: So far so good i think.

Ted

Well said Ted  :good:

Edited by n4gix
Trimmed the rediculously excessive quote. Again.
  • Upvote 2

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

This game is for getting peeps in flight sim. This is ok and i hiope it has nothing to do with the flight sim :)

regards

Michael Franz

I don't follow.  You seem to be saying that Dovetail aren't allowed to change the code.

Seriously?  They just hit the "Build me a 64 bit version" button and that's the end of it?

I suspect its a little more complicated than that and that changing code will be necessary.

DTG licensed a "toofer." They cannot modify the base code of FSX and release it as FSX:SE.

On the other hand, the second part allows them to take the source code and modify it all they need to in order to release an different product. This was all revealed and discussed many, many months ago.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I am flightsimming since 1998, I really long for some innovation. I would really like to support Dovetail or any other developer if I would see something new.

I know Flight School is not for me, as state before, but the 'spunk' is missing, the quality, to make me confident about the full sim being something new.

Not once turns student the head to see where the runway is, not once is the instructor or student looking for traffic, not once is ATC/tower or unicom being called.... This laziness or lack of in-depth, or missing quality takes the confidence right out of me, but maybe they will surprise me, I really hope they will! 

If you want new people to get into flight, then it's best you don't throw too many things at them all at once. Approach and Landing could be the second or maybe third lesson? If you read between the lines of what the instructor is saying, he is very much in tune with how the player is performing and he is providing plenty of feedback. Who's to know flight awareness principles could be another lesson.

There are lots to look forward with Flight School and the full simulator. If you can't see this then maybe it's difficult to fill a glass which is half empty.

Still not impressed... then maybe you should buy the game and give it as a gift to a family member or friend - that way you're supporting DTG for the future and providing somebody else with the opportunity to get into our wonderful hobby and just maybe you might start to feel better about things...

• Upvote 1

before i answer your question tell me what is it that you want to see on a new sim that can make you want to use it ???? by the way FS95 was my first sim somewhere after FS98 i went for flight lessons and today flying is my main job ...

Image removed as image is no longer available.

If you want new people to get into flight, then it's best you don't throw too many things at them all at once. Approach and Landing could be the second or maybe third lesson?

That is true, but why then show case a very dump down lesson, if you want to attract new users?

The gamers of the day, or anyone who is slightly into simulation will see nothing new here, especially when they look at the decade old graphics.

There is a lot of 'hoping' and 'could bees' in your post, which is fine, I am hoping too, but in that short video there is nothing really fundamentally new, that caught my eye. That's all I am saying.

I like to support quality developers, that really put sweat and tears into their work, where you can see and feel that they went beyond what we expect. Like PMDG or Quality Wings, or ASN - you know who I mean, granted those are add-ons, but the point is that they move innovation forward in the limited confines of the simulation. You can feel and see the 'drive' and passion they put into their work.

Dovetail has the chance to show that as well with the new simulator, but looking at the video, I have my doubts that they will take full advantage of that chance and really go above and beyond.

There is a lot of Dovetail fan boys around here and I am trying to find out why that is, we really haven't seen anything fundamentally new. Just because Dovetail hangs around these forums and pretend to listen doesn't cut it for me - yet.

Again, they might surprise me with the new simulator, but I have my doubts... If it quacks like a duck......

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

before i answer your question tell me what is it that you want to see on a new sim that can make you want to use it ???? by the way FS95 was my first sim somewhere after FS98 i went for flight lessons and today flying is my main job ...

Sure, first of all: A new graphics engine! - outerra like 'look' and 'feel'. A least the latest graphics engines should be used! Slim chance we see that with Dovetail's 'stuck in the last decade FSX engine'.

Second of all: Better weather implementation. As a professional pilot you know how much that is lacking in any sim... even with ASN doing its very best it can.

Third of all: Better flight models.

Fourth of all: ATC that looks and feels real as much as possible. But maybe that is better implemented from a third party developer...

That's basically it. I am not asking for much.... :wink:

We have a very high implementation of aircraft systems already, which I love.

In general, just more realism, in some aspects we have been stuck in the past for a long time.

Sure, first of all: A new graphics engine! - outerra like 'look' and 'feel'. A least the latest graphics engines should be used! Slim chance we see that with Dovetail's 'stuck in the last decade FSX engine'.

Then go fly Outerra. Problem solved. Good luck getting the rest of those features though! 

The fact is that FSX/P3D is, to this day, the most capable and comprehensive flight simulator for multi purpose needs. To abandon that platform and just move on to some high fidelity visual simulation would be a tragedy for all of us. 

• Upvote 1

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson