Sign in to follow this  
BamaKevin

P3Dv3 ready twin piston aircraft

Looking for a good in depth twin piston aircraft that's p3dv3 ready? Have my eye on Milviz Baron 55.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yeah that ones good.

Other options:

MV C310R - GTN/RXP support

Carenado Twin Commander - GTN/RXP support

The in depth part in the Carenado Twin is less than milviz.  

Thanks Ryan I haven't purchased any Milviz aircraft yet. Have been wondering how in depth there are.

Well the C310 is based on Ken Stallings' own 310 - he was on the MV team when they made it.  The flight model is high quality.  As long as you aren't expecting PMDG you'll enjoy it.

Funny, I was sitting here mulling all of the really high quality GA twins that have been produced in the recent few years.  Compatible with P3D 3.2....I came up with...one?  The RealAir Turbine Duke.  My mind is having trouble fathoming that. 

I do not have the 55 but I really love the 310R.

Vic

Funny, I was sitting here mulling all of the really high quality GA twins that have been produced in the recent few years.  Compatible with P3D 3.2....I came up with...one?  The RealAir Turbine Duke.  My mind is having trouble fathoming that. 

That would be personal vote, except the OP is asking for "piston twins."

You recommend the 310 over the 55?

Again just preference, I like the 310.  Both have pretty good third party paints.  Check Ron Attwood's paints for both.

That would be personal vote, except the OP is asking for "piston twins."

...which brings the number down to ...gulp...0!  It's very rare that someone does a high quality twin.  I have both the 310 and 55.  Two completely different airplanes.

I do have the Real Air Turbine Duke and love it as well. Just want to add a good piston twin to my hangar.

I do have the Real Air Turbine Duke and love it as well. Just want to add a good piston twin to my hangar.

I still haven't found 'the one'.  I don't really have much hope other than the Milviz King Air which is not really GA.  The only folks making GA twins is Carenado and they're all quite a bit alike with the same broken stuff.

Also consider the Flysimware Cessna 402C. It's not the best looking thing out there but does well in every other area and is compatible with the GTN 750.

I really wish RealAir would update their piston Duke for P3D.

Milviz B-55? It's a nice ride. Too small or too slow for you?

Hi Folks,

While both Milviz models are visual works of art - I prefer the C310 - I can't get the B55/E55 to fly by the numbers on approach... If you do - it has a substantial and unrealistic pitch up - if you fly the correct sight picture - you are dropping like a rock... Granted - if you fly at faster speeds than book values on approach - eventually it will pitch down... I've tweaked my own copy which was a great deal of work and it's still a work in progress... The C310 seems to have the better flight model out of the box and it's an all time favorite for both VFR and IFR flights... (for the record - I'm a Beech guy)

Regards,

Scott

My go to is the Milviz B55/E55...but when the RealAir Piston Duke comes out that will return to the top of my go to list, nothing beats the engine sounds on that aircraft in my view!

...but when the RealAir Piston Duke comes out that will return to the top of my go to list, nothing beats the engine sounds on that aircraft in my view!

+++

While both Milviz models are visual works of art - I prefer the C310 - I can't get the B55/E55 to fly by the numbers on approach... If you do - it has a substantial and unrealistic pitch up

I've had the exact same experience... glad it's not just me.

• Upvote 1

+++

The Real Air piston Duke works well in P3Dv3.  Everything works with some tweaking...

Edited by Mikelab6

The Real Air piston Duke works well in P3Dv3.  Everything works with some tweaking...

Yes, but is there a way to integrate the GTN750?

The Realair Piston Duke is a fine sim all around; excellent VC and among the highest fidelity flight models you'll ever encounter.     The Realair Turbine Duke by contrast suffers from far too much unrealistic engine spool up/down lag in my personal opinion and I just can't enjoy it.  

The Milviz 310 may very well have the finest asymmetrical thrust modeling available for any desktop sim platform, should you ever wish for this kind of depth (single engine flight modeling on a twin engine aircraft).     I'm critical of Milviz's current development and support culture with their newer products, but the 310 was truly part of the old school, high quality consciousness that used to be in place at the company and you can't go wrong choosing this product.     

A surprising contender too is the BN-2 Islander twin piston from Flight One.    Although it's no speed demon and has only limited single engine performance at best, it's a very versatile aircraft in both real-life and the sim.     It's essentially a STOL twin engine bush plane that can go just about anywhere imaginable, paved or unpaved.     Definitely check it out too.   

Carenado's new Commander Shrike has won a lot of favor among hardcore simmers since it's recent release, so do some research on it as well.     Carenado doesn't always initially release the most all around polished add-on aircraft, but the Shrike surprised many in the simming community with the flight model this time around.

The Realair Turbine Duke by contrast suffers from far too much unrealistic engine spool up/down lag in my personal opinion and I just can't enjoy it.

Rob at RealAir has always said the turboprop model in FSX/P3D is badly broken and he's done his best to work around it.  That said, the engines behaved differently in the older v1 Turbine Duke.  At least in terms of Ng they seemed to spool faster.  I can fly it well by Ng but not by torque.  v2 is harder to manage than v1.  This is just my observation as someone who has no knowledge of how a RW turboprop performs.  I simply try to fly the plane in front of me as well as I can.

Carenado doesn't always initially release the most all around polished add-on aircraft, but the Shrike surprised many in the simming community with the flight model this time around.

There are Carenado haters out there (and I am often amazed with how little effort they put into systems...even simple things like transponders) but, Bernt Stolle's flight models rarely miss and are often amazing.  For a fair comparison, I'd be curious how the turbine engines work in the F406 compared to the TDuke.  In terms of piston twins, I have to admit that I haven't gotten inspired much (and I have most of them).  Either they're loaded up with buggy, frame-robbing glass cockpits or it's something else.  The Piston Duke is top of my list in terms of total package, though, I'd like to get something else like a C421.  Problem is, nobody makes them any more other than Carenado and I just don't want buggy equipment.

I'm compelled to make an addendum to my earlier post in this thread.      After experiencing some very negative interaction with Milviz recently, I would personally warn anyone to stay away from ALL of their products, old or new.      I do not trust the people behind Milviz; I repeatedly encounter both questionable and downright vindictive business practices from them.     I can assure you that many others share this opinion.   

A surprising contender too is the BN-2 Islander twin piston from Flight One.   

However, the KLN 90A  FMC doesn't work in P3D :(

Peter